Global Suikoden ~formerly "Is it possible to have"

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
shinro-kun

Global Suikoden ~formerly "Is it possible to have"

Post by shinro-kun »

Is it possible to have a suikoden that'll take you everywhere? okay, not exactly everywhere. I mean look at 2. the story took you to so many places.

so is it possible for a suikoden sequel to take you to dunan, grassland, harmonia, falena, toran, etc. to progress in the story? a mean a really really Really long rpg game. just like a long anime series with so many arcs...

Edit by Oppenheimer: Please make your title show what the body of the thread is going to be about and not part of a sentance. Thanks.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Possible, yes. Likely? I don't really know...perhaps once we've seen the whole Suikoworld?
KoyuRedd

Re: Global Suikoden ~formerly "Is it possible to have&q

Post by KoyuRedd »

shinro-kun wrote:Is it possible to have a suikoden that'll take you everywhere? okay, not exactly everywhere. I mean look at 2. the story took you to so many places.

so is it possible for a suikoden sequel to take you to dunan, grassland, harmonia, falena, toran, etc. to progress in the story? a mean a really really Really long rpg game. just like a long anime series with so many arcs...

Edit by Oppenheimer: Please make your title show what the body of the thread is going to be about and not part of a sentance. Thanks.
Definitely possible. If Konami uses PS2 graphics on the PS3 (deny the use of very detailed graphics as expected) it will be possible for every known location to fit in one game.

But maybe this will come with the arrival of a later PS, or maybe just a more spacious disc... (estimated PS3 disc space = 25 - 50 GB)
[evil laugh here]
shinro-kun

Post by shinro-kun »

imagine them using suiko2 graphics on ps3 (very unlikely). that'll take you everywhere in the suiko world!
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

and imagine not being able to use viki for the early parts of the game. Endless walking/sailing...
Strategy is the key to victory!
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:and imagine not being able to use viki for the early parts of the game. Endless walking/sailing...
True, but they can always make an option that allows you to choose between free-roaming and location-selection. It saves a lot of time.
[evil laugh here]
LGM

Post by LGM »

I believe that the mark of a good game is the balance between size of the game, and conciseness of the gameplay.

In Suiko 4, without a guide or a map, I bet you could of end up travelling around the sea for hours. And there is something to be said for opening up areas at certain points in the game, even if its just to increase the difficulty level. Be honest; no matter where you went in Suiko 4, the enemies all had a similar difficulty level.

The only way to use the 'whole' suiko world, is to give the player a limited path in which they can travel. Otherwise its just the same thing the whole game through.
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
Fudce

Post by Fudce »

LGM wrote:I believe that the mark of a good game is the balance between size of the game, and conciseness of the gameplay.

In Suiko 4, without a guide or a map, I bet you could of end up travelling around the sea for hours. And there is something to be said for opening up areas at certain points in the game, even if its just to increase the difficulty level. Be honest; no matter where you went in Suiko 4, the enemies all had a similar difficulty level.

The only way to use the 'whole' suiko world, is to give the player a limited path in which they can travel. Otherwise its just the same thing the whole game through.
Agreed, when I first played Suikoden 4, I completely missed the first island, it was just out of sight, and when I eventually hit the glass wall that stops you from travelling too far, I realised 'Oh dear, this isn't good'.
Another post from that weirdo with the F avatar...

Signed, 'F'
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

That's not nessarly true. I remeber some games where I was allowed to wander in some of the DW games for instance. I would be going along fighting simple enemies like slimes, then I cross a bridge and suddenly it's a fight to the death from a Drake which I am not ready to face. I think an whole world concept could work if done properly. I'm of the school of "Save alot and save often" which is why I make like ten saves of Suikoden while playing lol. Just in case I have to go back, old Sierra game habit.

They can isolate areas like they did in the first two Suikoden's having guards preventing you passage, then certain terrains could be impassible until later. It all depends on the reason why you can't go there but you can go elsewhere.
Maas Stormgripper

Post by Maas Stormgripper »

It's certainly possible to make a game so large in scope. But ...there's a reason that most worlds in RPG's are so small, time constraints, story points, redundant designs and such.

It would be an exhausting and time consuming game to give us every city, town, and provence to play with. Sure the hardcore fans among us would squeal with joy for being able to access the two kobold villages, but would anyone else care?

Ofcourse, I dream of it none the less. :)
What you think I was born this way?
shinro-kun

Post by shinro-kun »

they would still have fun with it. :D

what i'm talking about actually, is that you can go anywhere. but not exactly that you have to go everywhere. i mean, for example, a good 20 hours of story progressing in toran. then you're taken to dunan having about 10 hours of story progressing. then to harmonia, then back to toran, then to grasslands or wherever. :?

a game with a really long gameplay/time is what i'm talking about.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I think the game would be attacked as being a rehash if it were to only use old places rather than create some new ones. Besides for nostalgic reasons do you really think that you'd want to walk through the bandit hideout caves from Suikoden I, or the forest of Greenleaf academy again with different characters? I don't think that'd be too terribly exciting. Like I said, nostalgia is nice, but I like the series to constantly be moving forward.
Silvermouse

Post by Silvermouse »

If they were ever going to use the entire Suiko world, I'd rather see it in MMO form. Having the entire world in one console rpg just for the sake of it might lead to "hurried" storytelling where you jump from place to place so quickly that you forget where you just were.
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

I think it should be in the last suikoden because it would be a huge game and a huge war so it would be exellent, and to revisit all the old places and see how they have all changed and stuff it would be great.

If they made it an Online RPG that would be rubbish it would ruin Suikodens good name.

:o
Harmonian Zealot

Post by Harmonian Zealot »

Considering how big and elaborate Harmonia is; That would be half of the game disc right there.

Would this include the mysterious Western Continent?
~~YOU WIN BY PINCER ATTACK!~~