Custom Unit

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
HiroRao

Custom Unit

Post by HiroRao »

I started thinking about this, and I thought it was a good idea that will more than likey never be implanted into Suikoden. A blank unit. A completly opitional unit that you create, but not to a great extent. I mean you can pick up clothing for the character Examples: Oble Solider grab, Highland uniform,Priest robe...ect. Choose their Rune affenities, skills, and their starting stats. They could have an ending based on the clothes they wore at the end of the game, and they could be transfeared in feture games.

I think it would give the game some more depth, but not alot and only allow one or two custom units. It's not a ground breaking idea, but what are your thoughts anyway?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

A blank unit? Are you talking about something for Rhapsodia? I don't know otherwise what you could mean by unit. You mean in the strategic battle of the next suikoden game? Or do you mean like a customizable star of destiny character?

This sounds like something out of the "create your own warrior" idea that was in Dynasty Warriors. I'd rather have a person created for me by the writers, otherwise he won't have any personality.
HiroRao

Post by HiroRao »

I used the term unit becasue it wouldn't really be a star, but yeah I do understand your concern about the personality, but in suikoden theres plenty of people more or less devoid of personality, so another on wouldn't hurt.
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

You mean like creating a character from scratch (give clothes, weapons, physical attributes/appearance, etc.) type ordeal¿ That would be nice, but don't see that happening.
Humphrey

Post by Humphrey »

that would take a long time to make a game like that because of all the options you would have to pic from....i think it would be cool but i don't see it happening
GenmaNinja

Post by GenmaNinja »

I'd like if they added in different costumes for certain characters.
Throw your life away for justice.
Humphrey

Post by Humphrey »

that would also be cool but still highly dought ful
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

HiroRao wrote:but in suikoden theres plenty of people more or less devoid of personality, so another on wouldn't hurt.
But that's mostly due to time limitations. There weren't simply enough time to give every single character ample development, and sometimes a few of these characters return in a separate game to get a proper development that they deserve.

The point is: these characters may appear "devoid of personality", but they are still historical figures, and will appear in the official Suikoden records one way or the other. On the other hand, a random generic soldier whose name and looks are completely customisable one can never have such a possibility.

And, speaking of having generic units in strategy-like titles like Rhapsodia, I'd rather have Suikoden stay away from that kind of theme. It's not fun to control no-name units when you have 50+ named characters that are just as good, if not better.

However, I think it's costume options for existing characters are very possible. Example: Snowe.
GenmaNinja

Post by GenmaNinja »

I completely forgot that Snowe had multiple costumes... His pirate one was the best. :D
Throw your life away for justice.
HiroRao

Post by HiroRao »

True, I still yearn to play with an Obel Soldier more though. The thing I liked about SIV and to an extent SIII was that you got to use those no name guys in actual fights. Not that much but it felt like it wasn't just you and 107 other guys, but an army of thousands. Maybe if they just had normal soldier customs for some characters I'd be happy. The biggest fault in SIV was that the army didn't have a standard uniform to identify those guys with. You had them in SI, II, and in three they didn't use it but you had the old Fire Bringer look. In IV it just looked like your army was pirates, and what ever NPC wandered on. But that's no IV bashing!