Suikoden I&II, Japan exclusive?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Heh, like none of my peers had heard of the Suikoden series, let alone the original two games, until I introduced it to them. They had all heard of Kingdom Hearts, of course -_-. Suikoden 1&2 didn't sell very well in the UK did they? I bought both, but a while after each's release they became exceptionally rare and no shops sold them :x. This was why Suikoden 3 wasn't released in Europe Ja? I'm a bit sceptical about Konami releasing SuikoI-II here (Europe/UK) because of this :( (just means an import machine though hehe, not totally losing out).
Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris
Kimimi

Post by Kimimi »

Sorry I should have worded that better - what I mean is one of very few PSP titles released in in the West that doesn't involve blahblahblah....
and yes, it is selling best to to casual female gamers, as they have fewer preconceptions about what's meant to be "cool" and are generally without the peer pressure baggage that keeps a lot of people from trying new games. That's not the only reason its popular, though.

Suikoden 3 wasn't released in Europe due to unspecified "coding issues".
Zed

Post by Zed »

Kimimi wrote:Sorry I should have worded that better - what I mean is one of very few PSP titles released in in the West that doesn't involve blahblahblah....
and yes, it is selling best to to casual female gamers, as they have fewer preconceptions about what's meant to be "cool" and are generally without the peer pressure baggage that keeps a lot of people from trying new games. That's not the only reason its popular, though.

Suikoden 3 wasn't released in Europe due to unspecified "coding issues".
Which is also why we won't be seeing Katamari Damacy, but will be getting We Love Katamari. My current hopes are that we'll see a Suikoden III port to PSP, otherwise I'll probably have to import it.

I've yet to see any real reasons why Suikoden I and II shouldn't at the very least be released in the US. Unlike the UK, niche RPG's actually sell pretty well in the US (unless you count Disgaea as a mainstream RPG).

Faust: That's probably more due to the fact that few RPG's outside of Final Fantasy do well in PAL territories. It's not helped by Konami's complete lack of marketting them (at least here anyway).
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

I'd love to see them release Suikoden I and II on the PSP in the US, and I personally think that it would sell because it has appeal to longtime fans of the series, those who have never played it but are RPG fans that have portable systems (PSP is, as someone else stated, a dry system for RPGS right now), and there are a good bit of people who would love to give Suikoden a go that can't because it's way too pricy on consoles. Many people first got into this series with Suikoden III which is somewhat more available than the previous games. A friend of mine keeps asking me questions about 1 and 2 because he doesn't own them, and is playing III.

He wants to play 1 and 2 and ended up looking at PSX emulators. So I think when games aren't released here that are in high demand like that, it begins to promote piracy, which is never good.

I own both Suikoden I and II on PSX, and I've thought about getting some of those scratch-protective CD cover things just to ensure they're secure when I do replay them at times, but I would still invest in a portable version as Suikoden would be an excellent way to kill time on the road, or on a flight, or at work, not to mention it'd be interesting to see if anything was altered or added in the remake.

I think it's ridiculous that Konami would choose not to release them here as some of their portable system games (the entire GBA Castlevania series), has been highly popular.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

castlevania is a completley different genre so you cant tell if an rpg franchise will do good on a handheld because its completley different
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

True, but in general Konami is not in this bad shape that Squaresoft used to be in that Square used to justify NOT releasing games in. Square used to have this whole "one bad selling game will bankrupt the company" mentality, which is why a lot of stuff didn't come out here. Konami has some powerful game franchises, so I don't think Suikoden I and II would be a big financial "risk" for them to put out.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I agree that it would'nt be a big risk to bring suikoden to the hand helds but to say it would do good because of games like castlevania dosent make sense and that is what I was saying

like you, I believe konami should bring it to the handhelds, either on the psp or gba, it would be good on the psp because it could stick to the sony product which has been working for suikoden and it could dominate the psp since it would be the only rpg franchise on there, it could even be incentive for people to buy a psp because suikoden 2 is coming out. If suikoden came out on gba, every kid in america would get there hands on it and word could spread quickly about how great a game suikoden is, not to mention rpg franchises are popular on gba

in either case, I believe that bring suikoden to the hand helds would revive suikoden. With the right advertisement, suikoden 1 and 2 on a handheld could get new gamers who know nothing about suikoden to fall in love with it, which would get gamers interested in past installments and more excited about the series

but I wont say anymore since I made a whole thread on what I think about all this, if you want to check it out, its called "The Future of Suikoden Konami Believes!"
kelvingarinkz

Post by kelvingarinkz »

yeah ... it will be good for suikoden though ...
it is just a must for Konami to release it in psp

well, just think, how many of us still own psx + suikoden 1 + suikoden 2 ?
suikoden one is like ten years ago ? no shop is still selling it ...
kelvin loves suikoden
Squee_McSquiggles

Post by Squee_McSquiggles »

That really depends on where you look. The game store a few blocks from my house had a copy of it the last time I went there and the used cd/game shop by my college had a copy there for at least a few months. I darn near bought it just so I could have a proper case. It'll probably run 30-40 dollars US. Suikoden II on the other hand...well, I've been searching for years and I'll probably never find another copy. (If I ever do, I'll buy it so I can have a backup copy.)

Edit: also, this makes me really angry. I'm tempted to write Sony and say that I would have bought a PSP just for that one game (I would have too) but now they're going to have something with rainbows and sparkles out of their butts to convince me to get it.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Why would you write to Sony? This has nothing to do with them. It's Konami's decision to release the games in America/Europe, not theirs.
Basel

Post by Basel »

Lemmy Claypool wrote:Why would you write to Sony? This has nothing to do with them. It's Konami's decision to release the games in America/Europe, not theirs.
If the number of PSP sold would increase just by the fact that Konami would release Suikoden I+II, then Sony could use its market power to influence Konami's decision to release Suikoden I+II on the PSP console.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Basel wrote:
Lemmy Claypool wrote:Why would you write to Sony? This has nothing to do with them. It's Konami's decision to release the games in America/Europe, not theirs.
If the number of PSP sold would increase just by the fact that Konami would release Suikoden I+II, then Sony could use its market power to influence Konami's decision to release Suikoden I+II on the PSP console.
But that is most likely not the reason they haven't released it.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Basel

Post by Basel »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:But that is most likely not the reason they haven't released it.
As Lemmy Claypool said, Sony has no influence on Konami's decision what so ever and it is not likely that Sony would use its market power to make Konami change its decision.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Yeah, I was agreeing with Lemmy.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

See, now, i'd be perfectly content with this not being released in the US had all of my games(Including suikoden I-IV(The only one that's been returned by the insurance company is IV)), Hadn't all been Stolen, And by my best friend for that matter, but that's beside the point. Now i /HAVE/ To get an emulator(Which my computer is way too slow for), or chances are good i'll never see a copy of suikoden I or II ever again, unless i want to pay $200 for a copy of each(Ebay prices). Finding out that they were only to be released in japan was a big letdown, concidering now chances are good i'll never play my favorite two games again. Meh, who knows, maybe i can email this to konami and they'll send me some free copies.