Suikoden 5 - Graphics or story

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
TwinFang

Suikoden 5 - Graphics or story

Post by TwinFang »

Im fairly new to this website, and from europe so have nevr been able to play S3. But i am still a big fan.

Anyway, I was just wondering, would any of you, prefer Suikoden 5, to have pathetic graphics, but a really good, strong storyline and it to be a long game. Or Great graphics and end up like S4 all over again.

S1 and S2 they never had good graphics, but the story was so good, you could sit there and play it for hours and could enjoy it. Where as in S4, it had good graphics and the only good story was the how the Rune of Punishment killed those it came into contact with.
Last edited by TwinFang on Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hero Kev

Post by Hero Kev »

i think true rpg fans should definitely go for storyline instead of graphics.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I recommend changing your title to something about graphics as opposed to just "Suikoden V".

I would rather the graphics be like Suikoden III and the plot be really good. It's been done before! But, plot goes before graphics in my book, to a certain extent. It's hard to play games like Dragon Warrior VII or Final Fantasy VII nowadays because although the plots are outstanding it's a little hard on the eyes. But that's what you get when you go 3D before you have the technical power to make it look good.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I think S1 and S2 had good graphics, for 2-D. I don't really care much about graphics, but why wouldn't I want good graphics? 2D or 3D doesn't bother me either, but I'd like 2D. I'd like a good plot, with some level of connection to either S4 (if it's after S4) or to S3 (if it's after S3). Unlike most other series with more than one game, Suikoden takes place in the same world, and that should be evident. Even a simple mentioning of the SME in S4 was satisfying, for me. Same with the three SoDs from the Dragons' Den in S3. Hell, even the very vague mentionings of Kanakan in all four games makes me giddy. In the end, good story is a must for me, but I wouldn't mind good graphics either. Story over graphics, by far.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

The story in any RPG is probably the most vital element so for me the story wins every time. Let's face it, S1 and S2 are hardly the best looking games in the world, but their 2D graphics have a certain charm about them that I love and would not change for the world. Then again if Konami can pull off a Square-Enix job and get both story and graphics to be equally brilliant then we'd really be in for something special.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Definetely the story for me...who cares about the graphics, the 2D was still excellent. A great story is the most important, IMO.
LillyXChris

Post by LillyXChris »

Story, graphics, i don't care. Just as long as you can understand the whole purpose and plot of the game. That's what you should take in mind.
Just think about it. Someone might be writing a Kingdom Hearts 2/Pretty Cure x-over right now. That someone is me.

Now playing POTC At World's End
Nozomi Yumehara and Darkside Dream... Miko (Princess) Yumehara
Sisters (Yes Precure 5/Precure X-over)
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Story all the way!Story is a way bigger point to RPG players than graphics.There are the 'Xbox' 133ts that hate games with bad graphs.
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

Story.
Reasons already given by others, why should I repeat them.
”I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone”
~Arenegeth~
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

Story over graphics.
any RPG can't stand on pretty spells and detailed backgrounds alone.
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

Story because what good is good graphics in an RPG if you don't feel the story. S2 was the most well developed plot in all the Suikoden series in my opinion. But hey, that's just me.
Sid: He he he...
Riou: ??
Sid: Hoo Hoo Hoo HAHAHAHA!
Alwine_De_Montfort

i think

Post by Alwine_De_Montfort »

i think id wiil be nice to have one story line for fan of suikoden

i hope they are ging to have a good story that will be fun
if they good graphique it going to be the best for every body
Crowley's_Apprentice
Banned User

Post by Crowley's_Apprentice »

I hope they revert to the normal 2D graphics and have the awesomest storyline with TIMETRAVELING (like the guy in the other thread proposed)!!!
"Giggity Giggity Giggity!!!"--Glen Quagmire
"Victory is mine!"--Stewie Griffin
"Oh that's just nastee..."--Cleveland
"...evil monkey living in my closet..."--Chris Griffin
syun_ukiya

Post by syun_ukiya »

knowing knoami they will never ever return to 2D graphics or they will suffer bashing from videogames review program.. i watched this show called x-play and they really bashed shining tears for having 2D graphics! i was really pissed. i haven't played shining tears but if you've seen the episode they highlighted that shining tears is the WORST rpg of the century! and i believe it s because of 2D graphics..

now back to the question. its obvious true rpg gamers will prefer the storyline over graphics. imo 2D is really best for rpg.

btw.. is it just me or the rpgs in psx are way much better than the ps2 ones...
Akito_Tenkawa
Elite Member

A little of both.

Post by Akito_Tenkawa »

I personally think when the Suikoden series went from 2D to 3D, it lost many of it's amazing-ness. They need to focus on both, and I seriously hate it when a company has the "the better it looks, the better it is" motto.

I'm not saying Konami is doing that, I've just seen way too many games that are ALL ABOUT graphics. The gameplay is horrible, so why play it?! Oh, sure you can see so much detail in the characters, but the game is loaded with bugs and lacks any kind of fun, at all.

What they need to do is expand the game itself, instead of setting it in smaller factions. What I disliked about Suikoden III was the poor excuse of a base; and that there are almost no mini-games in III and IV, and the ones that are there are pitiful excuses. They're experimenting too much with everything, when they should keep the same formula, and add minor tweaks to it, and make it better.

I love new things as much as the next guy, but when you try something new and it doesn't work out; and continues to, you shouldn't keep trying the same thing over and over.

One last thing, the newer games lack the life the two original ones had. I don't feel connected at all to the characters, they all seem to lack the depth the two originals' cast did. I want to live, sleep, breathe, and eat inside the Suikoden world, again, like I did with I and II. That's all :)