Suikoden III Anime, baby!

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
PirateQueen16

Suikoden III Anime, baby!

Post by PirateQueen16 »

:twisted:I know since they have a game, obviously, and they have a manga for Suikoden III, why not an anime? And since the intro or opening to it in the beginning of the game, before you get to the start screen, is anime, I figured maybe they might be thinking about that, or maybe it's already out in Japan or something like that. (Those lucky dogs always get the good stuff before us Americans... :wink: ) So does anyone know if they're coming out with a Suikoden III anime?
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

There's already a Suikoden anime but it has nothing to do with the game universe, it was endorsed by Konami however.

Other than that there is only the manga and nothing else.

And I don't see anything in the near future since an Anime production costs money and the Suikoden series is not that popular right now.
”I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone”
~Arenegeth~
PirateQueen16

Post by PirateQueen16 »

Awww, that's no fun. Well, hopefully they make more money, cause I thought the opening for the game looked great, and it's a bit strange to make an anime totally different off of a game...Whatever. Thanks for the help.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Arenegeth wrote:There's already a Suikoden anime but it has nothing to do with the game universe, it was endorsed by Konami however.
You're talking about Suikoden Demon Century? When did Konami "endorse" that? It's got nothing to do with the game.
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

SARSadmin wrote:
Arenegeth wrote:There's already a Suikoden anime but it has nothing to do with the game universe, it was endorsed by Konami however.
You're talking about Suikoden Demon Century? When did Konami "endorse" that? It's got nothing to do with the game.
Actually it did, there was a post card of Suikoden I along with the tape of the anime, AND a leaflet advertising Demon Century with Suikoden I (PAL) if that isn't endorsement then what is?

And it has nothing to do with the universe not with the game.
~Arenegeth~
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

That's bizarre. Are you sure it wasn't some US localization form that pulled that off, instead of Konami actually taking such steps?
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

SARSadmin wrote:That's bizarre. Are you sure it wasn't some US localization form that pulled that off, instead of Konami actually taking such steps?
I'm looking at the leaflet right now, and it says...

"You've played the game..."

"Now watch the video"

And: From A.D.V. A.D.Vison UK

On the back:

"35 minutes of HARD-CORE animated action!"
"rrp £12.99"

for further information contact:-
a.d. vision
po box 9
bangor LL57 1ZA
telephone :- 01248 353593

A.D.V. has distributed lots of anime in the UK along with the Evangelion series.

But what really ties this together is the cool post card.
That I have with the tape in some boxes right now, but I should take it out since is quite cool.

It basicly has the Suikoden Logo on one of the corners, and the art work is a wide profile shot of several characters, and one of them is Odessa, I haven't seen that particular artwork anywhere else but I'm guessing it should be in one of the art books.

And I guess Shirofan could confirm this if he got the game when it came out in England.

Also another thing to note is a certain character in the Anime that look’s and talks a lot like Fukien...

If you have seen the Anime you would also remember a character that looks a bit like Victor but that may have being a coincidence (big, long blacked haired muscular men are common in anime’s).

Even if Konami had nothing to do with the production of the Anime they at least endorsed it and probably benefited from the sales.

EDIT:
I opened the box and got the tape and post card out.
The post card has the Suikoden in the left middle and not one of the corners as I remembered, the characters featured on the post card are:

Odessa, Victor, Flick, Gremio, Ted, Kuromimi, Futch, Cleo, Pahn, Tir, Mathieu, and Luc though I'm not sure if it is him he is at the bottom right corner.

The post card writes on the back:

"Suikoden features an unmatched storyline that keeps gamers glued to the action as it unfolds. Intriguing twists abound as gamers engage in an unyielding quest to assemble a rebel army capable of overthrowing the Scarlet Moon Empire. In the process, you must fight your own beloved father, deal with dissension and disobedience among the troops and become devastated by the deaths of comrade after trusted comrade.
Available for the Playstation January 1997."

The copyright trademarks are all available of course.

Now the interesting part is that seemingly before Suikoden was released there was a Suikoden manga/novel based on the Anime universe I suppose.

In the credits on the back of the box it says: Originally created by: Hitoshi Yoshioka As seen in "Sneaker pocket books a Kadokawa publication".

So to simplify it was endorsed by Konami (UK) (not some distributor),
For the European release, to aid the sales of the game, so Konami either made a mutual advertising agreement or benefited by the sales of the Anime.

SARS was right but he mentioned US localization and confused me, that don’t make it less of endorsement though just in one part of the world which means that Konami somehow recognizes the Anime.

Or there is something deeper I don't know about.

So to correct my original statement "it was endorsed by Konami however, in the UK".

And Fukien was probably just related to the Water Margin if there was no monk in the water Margin then perhaps there is some connection after all.

I think that post card is a collector's item though, but I won't sell it off eBay don't worry.
~Arenegeth~
Blue Thunder

Post by Blue Thunder »

O_O That is definetly wierd. You know, they used to have the anime for rental here where I live, but it seems to have disappeared...
~Blue Thunder~
zaltabor

Post by zaltabor »

Just because there is a postcard advertising the game with the anime video doesn't mean that Konami endorsed the anime. Unless you see Konami mentioned somewhere in the titles on the anime then they had nothing to do with it. In the case of the postcard I'm guessing Konami heard that ADV were releasing the video and thought that they could jump on the bandwagon and advertise their game as well (seeing as how both the anime and the game are both based on the same legend when in reality they have nothing to do with each other).

The only thing the anime shares with the game (well not really - read on to find out why) is the 108 stars legend. Now this is where it gets tricky. Remember that Suikoden (the game) is based on the Chinese legend of the same name. Bearing that in mind the anime is also based on that same legend. If any characters from the game appeared or were mentioned in the anime then, yes, it does have something in common with the anime but it doesn't so actually the anime is really based on the legend and not the game.
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

zaltabor wrote:Just because there is a postcard advertising the game with the anime video doesn't mean that Konami endorsed the anime. Unless you see Konami mentioned somewhere in the titles on the anime then they had nothing to do with it. In the case of the postcard I'm guessing Konami heard that ADV were releasing the video and thought that they could jump on the bandwagon and advertise their game as well (seeing as how both the anime and the game are both based on the same legend when in reality they have nothing to do with each other).

The only thing the anime shares with the game (well not really - read on to find out why) is the 108 stars legend. Now this is where it gets tricky. Remember that Suikoden (the game) is based on the Chinese legend of the same name. Bearing that in mind the anime is also based on that same legend. If any characters from the game appeared or were mentioned in the anime then, yes, it does have something in common with the anime but it doesn't so actually the anime is really based on the legend and not the game.
Eh, man if you read everything you would know that Konami UK endorsed the Anime in the UK and most of Europe, I never said from my first post that Konami had anything to do with the production of the Anime, just endorsed it, I figured it was general but it might have been only in Europe.

But you see Konami UK is a branch of Konami Japan, not some third party that took the initiative, the copyright logo of Konami is on the Post Card and I already said that it was probably a mutual advertising agreement.

Now I think that Suikoden is Water Margin in Japanese, since the original story is in Chinese, if in the Water Margin there was a monk like Fukien with the same role then OK, but if that monk was a Suikoden creation then is too much of a coincidence.

The similarity in name is due to Water Margin translating to Suikoden in Japanese, but don't forget that the games are Genso Suikoden.

I personally think that they had nothing to do with one another since as I said there was an earlier publication of the name Suikoden Demon Century that was logically before the game was made.

Konami UK decided to endorse the game due to the similar name probably, the comment "You've played the game..." "Now watch the video" was made simply for marketing reasons.

Now I wish I could go watch the tape again but my VHS broke some time ago, I will try to look online for a DVD version if available, to watch if anything at all is mentioned in the credits.

So I never said that Konami had made the anime all I said was that there is a Suikoden anime already and that Konami endorsed it.

To simplify there is some connection between them but not story wise, not production wise either, but only marketing wise in the UK.
~Arenegeth~
zaltabor

Post by zaltabor »

Firstly I must apologise. You are correct in that Konami endorsed the Video of the anime. I thought you meant they actually endorsed the anime itself which is wrong. They didn't. They just endorsed the video of it as a marketing strategy (like you thought).

You are correct. Suikoden does translate to Water Margin but none of the various Suikoden franchises really have nothing to do with each other. I was a fan of the original Chinese legend long before the game came out. To be honest the game has more in common with the original Chinese legend than either the anime or Water Margin does. Water Margin itself is only very loosely based on the Chinese legend.

In the original legend the story is about the adventures of 108 rebel bandits under the leadership of the brave Song Jiang who fought against injustice by corrupt regional leaders and for the rights of the common people. This could be attributed to the games (especially the first) as the leader (McDohl) fights against a corrupt leader (Barbarossa who was corrupted by Windy) for the rights of the people.

The rebels actually lived in the marshes near the mountain of Liangshan hence the title being translated to "Water Margin" when it was retold in Japan.

Also thanks for mentioning about the manga which you think the anime is based on. I'm really curious to see it but can't find any information on it which is a shame.

Just to finish off I do agree with you on your last point as well in that the only connection they share is the marketing side.
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

That movie wasn't enjoyable at all.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

.....I contemplated an anime...that would be quite the cookie.
If so, I would think it proper to animate each story from that particular characters point of view (i.e:thomas story...Geddoe story....)
and do a compilation as is done in the manga. But that would cost a hefty dollar...or yen...whatever the currency...it would cost too much...nice thought to have in mein brain though....before I knew the manga existed a while back, I wished that one would exist...i nearly had an infarction when my friend pointed it out to me on the shelf! Oh...if only I could waltz back into that entertainment facility and see suikoden 3 anime dvd's for sale.....
afi

Post by afi »

Suikoden 2 anime would be a great masterpiece.
czartiffac

Post by czartiffac »

I think they'd be safer realsing a manga version of all suikoden instead of an anime, its easier to distribute/create and not be too worried about license issue with fansubbers for outside japan releases.

Not to mention it easier to add the 108 stars in manga format than in anime. lolz!

Creator: "I want all the 108 Stars be present in the anime"
Producer: "Uhuh..."
Creator: "With different voice actors"
Producer: Uhu... Say what!!!"

hahaha not thats its bad to have a suikoden anime but it would be too costly even w/o 108 voice actors, so lets just say more manga would be nice. /no1