Changing Companies After Suikoden IV?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Eternal Rune

Post by Eternal Rune »

i just heard an old news anout grandia 3, that square-enix has something to do with it. i like the grandia series too, and played all the games, i would hate it if they damaged the series, but if they didn't then i guess this topic wouldn't be of that importance, becuase, depending on the oucome of grandia 3, we'll know if SQ is capable of maintaining the qualities of a series or not, because grandia like suikoden has its own special qualities (not as good as suikoden though)
syun_ukiya

Post by syun_ukiya »

I know what they're missing, the role of the strategists ! its about time strategists play a pivotal role like those in S1 and S2. The new strategists' thinking are way too simple.

Also I want them to retain the military style battles. They might have removed it because it will be very difficult using a full 3D environment.. S3 and S4 made me realize that graphics ain't everything..

Also I like S4 than S3 (only compared to S3). Yes, I also didn't like the Trinity system, at one point Geddoe's team is now strong then I'll be left with a weak team when I change chapters.

The cut-scenes are meant to be dramatic. S2 cut-scenes are the best, in every cut scene you'll learn a thing or two about their past and most often you can relate to it.

IMO, I think Murayama (only with his S2 thinking) should make a comeback.
YuberClone

Post by YuberClone »

Eternal Rune Said:
konami doesn't really care about what the fans demand for this game, and they treat it like a secondary game due to the fact that other games (such as metal gear solid) always seems to better its self. Square-enix, which is basically all about RPG's and all about IMPROVING THIER GAMES rather than just CHANGING THEM, will be an ideal substitue to konami...
blasphemy... though konami doesn't seem to be in any sort of hurry to release the next suikoden, i think turning this one over to Square-enix would ruin the game. the quality and depth of the game would vanish. Don't get me wrong, I love Final Fantasy, but suikoden is so much different a creature Square wouldn't know what to do with it. Suikoden gains a lot of depth and novelty with it's sequels, as they continue the story. Squares idea of a direct sequel is Final Fantasy X-2.

the day that kind of damage is done to the suikoden franchise, is the day i box up my playstation and bury in the backyard!

i'm with oppenheimer in that I liked s3 and the trinity system. it added lots of depth to the story. developing 3 characters and then choosing one as a main character was kinda cool. i happened to like s4 also. it may rank lowest of the Suikodens for me, but there are only 4 of them. I rank suikoden higher than a lot of other franchises. I was happier with s4 than FF8 or FFx2, Secret of Evermore of FF Mystic Quest, etc.
Last edited by YuberClone on Sat May 14, 2005 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suiko4, wasn't the best in the series, but other franchises have done worse. Remember Final Fantasy Mystic Quest??
YuberClone

Post by YuberClone »

syun_ukiya you may get your wish. Konami has applied for the rights to the title "Suikoden Tactics". if that game gets made, one could expect it to be heavy into Strategy and tactical battles. lol
Suiko4, wasn't the best in the series, but other franchises have done worse. Remember Final Fantasy Mystic Quest??
syun_ukiya

Post by syun_ukiya »

provided they retain the s2 strategy battle rather than s4 naval battle or worse s3's one character vs. enemy type of battle.

and please a good strategist with a REAL strategy in battles.

who cares if the game says they have underlings. man, it looks like ff tactics..
Mymiridion

Post by Mymiridion »

i must say that there have been some comments stating that square-enix should buy the suikoden series from konami. I have some opinions of my own on that issue. First off, If your going to say that Suikoden III, and IV were let downs, then im sorry but i must say that Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XI, were let downs also. I cannot see Square-Enix being able to make Suikoden better, it would only take it apart and make it a totally new game. Sure I think that Suikoden II was the best of them, but if you are a true suikoden fan (no offense to any of you) then you would have enjoyed Suikoden III also. I am in the middle of Suikoden IV and i do have some dissapointments but i had the same dissapointments in other games also. Konami tried something different, it may not have worked to perfection but just because it didnt please some of you doesnt mean they should even think about selling the game series to someone else.
Chaos would suite me just fine ~Yuber
Usesnumbers

Post by Usesnumbers »

Mymiridion wrote:i must say that there have been some comments stating that square-enix should buy the suikoden series from konami. I have some opinions of my own on that issue. First off, If your going to say that Suikoden III, and IV were let downs, then im sorry but i must say that Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XI, were let downs also. I cannot see Square-Enix being able to make Suikoden better, it would only take it apart and make it a totally new game. Sure I think that Suikoden II was the best of them, but if you are a true suikoden fan (no offense to any of you) then you would have enjoyed Suikoden III also. I am in the middle of Suikoden IV and i do have some dissapointments but i had the same dissapointments in other games also. Konami tried something different, it may not have worked to perfection but just because it didnt please some of you doesnt mean they should even think about selling the game series to someone else.

if you ask me FF sucked after 6 in alot of ways if not before that, but I love rpgs, not a FF fan... Strange huh? I didnt like it after it got out of the more indepth game play and went into eye candy but meh
Deconstr
Mymiridion

Post by Mymiridion »

my point wasnt saying that FF's were bad and Suikoden was good, i meant it more about Konami selling suikoden to S-E
Chaos would suite me just fine ~Yuber
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Did you just say FFX was a let down!!!??

Thats probably (after FF7) the best Final Fantasy ever!!

Ofcourse thats my opinons :)

O and Selling Suikoden to Square Enix isn't smart.Square Enix rulez at making CG cutscenes,music and stuf but they would change the Chinese setting to Japanese setiing...
daoster

Post by daoster »

Here are a few of my thoughts:
Grandia III shouldn't be different than Grandia I or II, or if it will be different, it'll be because of Game Art's decisions, not because Square Enix decisions. The Game Arts team that developed GI and GII will be developing GIII. Square Enix owns Game Arts, so in this case, Square Enix is only publishing the title (think of Game Arts as a triAce...seperate from SE's usual development house, but still belonging to them).

Final Fantasy X2 is NOT Square's idea of a serious sequel. They merely released that game as something for fans that did not want to play Final Fantasy XI, so it is something meant to tide fans over to FFXII. It also allowed them to play around with the gameplay a bit, as it wasn't a main Final Fantasy.
Suikoden isn't a "true" sequel (IV wasn't even a sequel) anyways, as all 4 games all focus on a different part of the world and star a (mostly) new cast of characters.

I don't really see Konami selling Suikoden to another company. Maybe not in America, but at least in Japan, it seems as if a good source of money. Why else would they release all those extras like novels, a manga series, and several re-releases of each game? (Suikoden IV was just recently rereleased). The only way I can see Square Enix releasing a Suikoden is if Konami suddenly goes bankrupt (and I doubt a company as large as Konami will go bankrupt soon), and Square buys the rights(for Suikoden) and hires the Suikoden team, and allow them to work on it under SE's name.

On the rumor of Hudson supposedly co-developing Suikoden with Konami (or well, they're basically part of Konami now, so should it still be co-developing?), I wonder if that's a wise decision (if the rumor is real, that is). I don't remember Hudson being a company that would create many RPGs (in fact, the only one I can think of is Far east Eden, but that's suppose to be pretty popular in Japan), so I'm curious why they chose Hudson.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
syun_ukiya

Post by syun_ukiya »

xenogears is another example. most of the staff working under the said game moved to namco because square said "Whatever, lets go make another Final Fantasy game."
YuberClone

Post by YuberClone »

i agree with Mymiridion. there's nothing that S-E could do for suikoden.. FFVI was the best, for me anyway, FFVII was good too. I was horrified at the release of FFX-2. there is clearly some dysfunction developing in the creative processes behind the series. It is a great mystery the purpose of this game. More accurately i believe Crystal Chronicles was for those not willing to get into mmorpg. x-2 almost broke me, before i condemn the series i'm waiting for xii.
Maas Stormgripper

Post by Maas Stormgripper »

You suck!
No You suck!

Personally, I have no problems with Konami's handling of the games.
I also have no problems with Square-Enix produced games.

so...why am I even here?

:?:

As you were.
What you think I was born this way?
KC_MCDOHL

Re: Changing Companies After Suikoden IV?

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

This could be possible in the future, depending on wether Konami want to continue with the series or not. Out of interest, what company would people like to see Suikoden 'sold' to?