Suikoden III comes to US PSN (and EU)

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Suikoden III comes to US PSN (and EU)

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Last edited by Raww Le Klueze on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Re: Suikoden III comes to US PSN

Post by Antimatzist »

Man, they're sure taking their time with the PAL release, though. But this is good news. If IV, V and tactics follow this year, this would be super great. Then you can offer Konami the Gaiden translations, Raww ;)
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Suikoden III comes to US PSN (and EU)

Post by patapi »

Time for a long overdue Suikoden I-II-III replay.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Good stuff. I'm so happy for the EU to finally get it. Don't know who wants to play it and hasn't just found some other way, but I'm glad it wasn't unavaliable there forever. Chris is my favourite protagonist after all.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Huh, it's already up on the EU PSN. Was expecting this afternoon at earliest.

Though they seem to have forgotten to label it as an import title.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

9,99€. Which is pretty much what I expected for a PS2 title that was never released here.

My guess would be that they release all the PS2 titles until the end of the year (which is not that much time left). I also feel like there'll be an anniversary announcement, but I guess my spider senses are tingling over nothing.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Well compare the price to what we had to do originally with either buying a modified PS2 or send one off to be modified and then import the game it's a steal.

I do hope they release them all, my PS2 broke a long time ago so I haven't been able to play anything but the PS1 games the last few years. Though if Sony could get Classic support for PS4 that'd be swell.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

LOOK another game I still have on the self for a console that still Works. I understand is a good thing for people who sell their consoles and people from new generations that didn't enjoy the game, but for the rest...
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Yeah, how dare those bastards at Konami give old fans a chance to support and show there's still interest in the series while giving new players a chance to experience it for the first time. Somebody should shoot those a-holes.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Neclord X wrote:LOOK another game I still have on the self for a console that still Works. I understand is a good thing for people who sell their consoles and people from new generations that didn't enjoy the game, but for the rest...
It's a re-release of a game for a console which has been out of production for several years, and a game which was released nearly 15 years ago and not even in all regions. It's convenient for people who don't use their PS2 anymore.

Sorry, I can't udnerstand what you're complaining about. Every Suikoden news nowadays is good news, the re-releases are selling pretty well when you look at the PSN charts every month and that's the best sign we can give to Konami.
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

I'm so happy it has arrived in the EU 13 years later, albeit digitally. Sadly I don't own a PS3 to play it - didn't stop me buying it though - so the Swap Magic will power on as it has for many moons.

Hopefully the digital releases continue and ultimately introduce new players to the series. Nothing makes me happier than seeing the series in the charts.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Antimatzist wrote:Sorry, I can't udnerstand what you're complaining about. Every Suikoden news nowadays is good news, the re-releases are selling pretty well when you look at the PSN charts every month and that's the best sign we can give to Konami.
I don't really think Konami needs more proof at this point of the interest in the series. Also, I don't trust it as a way of convincing them to make new games, basically because in the past fans proving their interest in franchises through buying re-releases didn't work very well as persuassive methods.

Darkstalkers or Megaman are good examples, since both sold relativelly well but then "fans doesn't support the framchise" they said. Although its true that those are from Capcom not Konami.

But look Castlevania for example, do you think fans didn't show interest do you think fans didn't buy re-releases and still there you have Igarashi mounting a kickstarter so he can do a proper Castlevania.

Fans certainly show interest but companies doesn't seem to do nothing new to pay back that interest and trust.
Raww Le Klueze wrote:Yeah, how dare those bastards at Konami give old fans a chance to support and show there's still interest in the series while giving new players a chance to experience it for the first time. Somebody should shoot those a-holes.
Don't get me wrong I don't have problem with giving people the chance of re-adquiring the game or adquire it for the fist time. As I said I don't think it will serve to "prove interest" (or better, it will prove interest but companies will ignore it anyway) BUT I think is a really good chance for some people to re-enjoy the games or enjoying them for the first time. My problem is... there is nothing for those who have those games, enjoyed them lot of times and want something new.

My complain is not about they re-relasing things, my complain is about them forgetting to reléase new things.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I don't really think Konami needs more proof at this point of the interest in the series. Also, I don't trust it as a way of convincing them to make new games, basically because in the past fans proving their interest in franchises through buying re-releases didn't work very well as persuassive methods.
What persuasive methods worked? Also, how should they know there is interest in the series? We at SRM struggle at ~30k followers, which is great but not nearly enough for anything. Megaman had 100k, still nothing from Capcom. Also, every company is different, and for Konami it's currently: money talks.
But look Castlevania for example, do you think fans didn't show interest do you think fans didn't buy re-releases and still there you have Igarashi mounting a kickstarter so he can do a proper Castlevania.
There were few rereleases of Castlevania games that I know of.

I know that projects like this (Bloodstained, Mighty No. 9 and now even Shenmue) prove that these games and franchises are not as dead as the companies think they are. But it's also some kind of protest reaction. Nobody would have bought a Megaman in the style of Mighty No. 9, and Castlevania had decent sales, but I doubt it ever reached a whole lot of people. Also, even though the kickstarter projects were very successful, only a few tens of thousands people actually backed it. If you go from an Indie release, which these games are, to bigger releases of a company, the costs increase (at least I'd think so). And it's easy to say you'll make a game when you get millions of dollars even before development really started.
My complain is not about they re-relasing things, my complain is about them forgetting to reléase new things.
We had more Suikoden news in this year alone than in all of 2013. With these re-releases, the games ar ebrought to greater attention, also thanks to the western Suikoden departments who do more advertising of the series than ever before. The Japanese HQ, however, seems to have forgotten the password for their SUikoden accounts. The official homepage hasn't been updated in ages (even though III was re-released there this year as well) as has been the twitter account.

There's not a whole lot fans can do, but:
1. We want to support the old timeline and a new game set in that world.
2. If a new game is made, we want it in the West (which is basically what we're showing now).

You just complained about nothing, that's all.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Neclord X wrote:My complain is not about they re-relasing things, my complain is about them forgetting to reléase new things.
Konami is a business not a charity. The last game in the series we got sold poorly. Why would any company in the business of making money look at a series that doesn't make money and go "Clearly we should throw a couple million into making another one of those."

Konami will only make a new game if they think there's a profit in it, it's that simple. To make a completely new game costs a fortune on current hardware, to re-release old games not so much. And if Konami can only base the potential profit of a new game on the sales of a game that came out 9 years ago, then you're going to be in for a long wait cause they would have to be insane to make a new one based on the results of that one.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Neclord X wrote:My complain is not about they re-relasing things, my complain is about them forgetting to reléase new things.
Konami is a business not a charity. The last game in the series we got sold poorly.
By last game do you mean last game of the main series or main game of the franchise in general? Because I remember SV (the last game of the main series) did pretty well, I don't know how the last game of the franchise (Suikoden Toki...) did