Konami to focus on mobile gaming as it's main future platform

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
whileheavenwept

Konami to focus on mobile gaming as it's main future platform

Post by whileheavenwept »

Article: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/k ... -platform/

With Konami being in the headlines week after week, first with their scandalous breakup with Hideo Kojima, then with their controversial cancellation of the highly anticipated Silent Hills, and just now announcing their focus shifting from console games to mobile gaming on smartphones.

A new numbered Suikoden title being on console is looking less and less likely. I think at this point it would take some sort of miracle to see another game in the franchise outside of a half-assed smartphone cash-in.

Thoughts?
EstrangedIX

Re: Konami to focus on mobile gaming as it's main future platform

Post by EstrangedIX »

I gave up on the idea of a Suikoden VI long ago, but would be more than happy with Ritapon on Android. Not that it will happen either, mind you...
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
NashLatkje

Post by NashLatkje »

Ah that'd be cool, just throw all Suikoden mini games in an app! Yeah I don't think any big Suikoden fan thought we'd really see VI anytime soon but good for Konami, I guess. Make as much money as you can, more power to you.
"Adults have their reasons. You children who see the world in black and white will learn soon enough about shades of grey."
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Oh yes a Ritapon on some mobile device would finally make me snap and buy one! Ripaton is awesome.

And again, better no SVI than a crappy SVI.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I think I'd add a caveat to that: If a bad Suikoden VI did so much damage to Konami that they decided to sell the property off to someone with good plans for it, then Suikoden VI should take one for the team. If I can get my hands on enough crystal balls and LSD, I hope to divine how that future might be achieved.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

That's not surprise more and more companies are going that line because make social games for mobiles is cheaper and gives lot of money through microtransactions.

Not that I approve or like it, but at this point is not surprising and there is nothing we can do about it
KnightOfTruth

Post by KnightOfTruth »

Posted this in another topic and realized it was probably better suited for here.

Even though I've never thought that they would make a Suikoden VI, it hasn't stopped me from hoping, wanting, dreaming, (and yes, at times begging) for one!

I remember wanting to create a "Suikoden" game when I was younger, even had a lot of it pre-drafted in storyboard form and had spent considerable time creating pixel art for it, but I never had the time to do much with it. As a competent writer, programmer, and gaming enthusiast I thought for sure I'd have what it took to see it through to the end, but I ended up dropping the Suikoden realm/lore as I just didn't feel it would do it justice and proceeded to make it my own RPG (which subsequently was "accidentally" thrown out by my wife and deleted with a PC wipe before I knew it was all gone).

If Konami DOES pull out of the gaming business and our Plan B's and C's don't work in terms of getting any sort of licensing for it, kickstarter, or co-opting it, or whatever else is in the background - I guess the next step would be for a dedicated and committed team from here and SRM to create "Sweekodan VI" and avoid any copyright issues ;)