Konami will announce a Suikoden game on 2016.

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
suiken

Konami will announce a Suikoden game on 2016.

Post by suiken »

Mark my words.

There are many factors to consider so Konami can't just leave this game alone.

- It will mark as 20th Anniversary of the franchise so I expect any Suikoden news. Whether it will be a main or spinoff game or HD re-release of the previous titles.

- This gen (PS4 in particular) looks promising so far as a go-to console for JRPGs.

- If the campaign of SRM became so successful by supporting S1 and S2 digital copies, Konami might reconsider bringing back Suikoden for the mainstream audiences.

- Konami is looking for another series to cash in outside Metal Gear. Silent Hill and Castlevania have already ran their courses. For better or worse, Suikoden might be next.

- There is a rumor that Kojima is a fan of Suikoden series. He took some of Suikoden's mechanics to MGS: Peacewalker.

- There is also the "insider" who said the game is already in the works and might be announced around 2016. Take it as a grain of salt though.
Antimatzist

Re: Konami will announce a Suikoden game on 2016.

Post by Antimatzist »

2015 is the 20th anniversary year (ok the very end of '15 but it woud make more sense to celebrate it the other way around)

- So far, we got two J-RPGs for PS4 announced with FFXV and Kingdom Hearts III. Can't see how that's promising.

- I wouldn't want a cash in Suikoden, seeing what Konami did to Silent Hill and Castlevania.

But really, 2016 is as possible as any year.
suiken

Post by suiken »

Antimatzist wrote:2015 is the 20th anniversary year (ok the very end of '15 but it woud make more sense to celebrate it the other way around)

- So far, we got two J-RPGs for PS4 announced with FFXV and Kingdom Hearts III. Can't see how that's promising.

- I wouldn't want a cash in Suikoden, seeing what Konami did to Silent Hill and Castlevania.

But really, 2016 is as possible as any year.
Upcoming and released JRPGs for PS4:

Natural Doctrine (Kadokawa)
Bloodborne (FromSoft)
Persona 5 (Atlus)
Disgaea 5 (NIS)
Dragon Quest Heroes (Square-Enix/Tecmo-Koei)
Wonder Flick (Level 5)

There are also HD Remasters and updated games:

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Final Fantasy X, X-2 HD
Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin
Deception IV - Another Princess

That's already better compared to the library of the previous gen in it's early years.

Konami would be stupid not to announce any news for Suikoden during it's anniversary. Whether it's a big or small news won't matter as long as they commerate the anniversary of the franchise.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I phoned them and they have nothing for 2016. Case closed.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Natural Doctrine
Persona 5
Wonder Flick
Dragon Quest Heroes
Are all multiplatform including older gens. So the PS4 versions are most likely only prettier ports. I'm not counting HD remasters either.

Of course that's better than last gen, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a promising situation.
Konami would be stupid not to announce any news for Suikoden during it's anniversary. Whether it's a big or small news won't matter as long as they commerate the anniversary of the franchise.
I think that's also strange. Square Enix celebrated SaGa's birthday last year (or this year?) with small stuff and a new game and that game hasn't seen a new real entry in the franchise since 2002. So c'mon Konami!
suiken

Post by suiken »

Antimatzist wrote:
Natural Doctrine
Persona 5
Wonder Flick
Dragon Quest Heroes
Are all multiplatform including older gens. So the PS4 versions are most likely only prettier ports. I'm not counting HD remasters either.

Of course that's better than last gen, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a promising situation.

We've seen this type of things since the NES and SNES days. But I will admit, the amount of cross-gen games these days are ridiculous although seeing 3rd party companies investing on the new console is encouraging.

Being a multi-platform game isn't much and issue. Compare it to Xbox One, PS4 seems to have a better lineup. Wii U is having a good start with Xenoblade X and Dragon Quest X too but Sony outnumbered Nintendo so far with upcoming games.
Antimatzist wrote: I think that's also strange. Square Enix celebrated SaGa's birthday last year (or this year?) with small stuff and a new game and that game hasn't seen a new real entry in the franchise since 2002. So c'mon Konami!
Not to mention, Capcom also announced their crappy mobile Breath of Fire game during it's 20th anniversary. So there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Konami can consider going with a F2P mobile game where you can spend real monies on a gacha-like mechanics to gather all 108 Stars of Destiny in order to access the truest ending. PVP option and pay-for-time not sold separately.
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

It would be positively delightful if they did announce some sort of 'original series' Suikoden project, but I am still too much of a pessimist when it comes to the series to even harbour hope.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

They might. Then again, they might not. They probably won't. Who gives a sh't.
Schtolteheim

Post by Schtolteheim »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I phoned them and they have nothing for 2016. Case closed.
I work in the video game industry, even if they had the biggest hit in production an announce it the next day they would not tell you. Do not beleive what CS, CM and representatives tell you because there might be something they just can't tell you.

As for something for suikoden in 2016, I've been hoping since I ended Suikoden V. My hope is not dead but it faded a bit. I decided to write a suikoden story just to maybe get something started at some point. I just hope Konami have something in mind...
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I work in the video game industry, even if they had the biggest hit in production an announce it the next day they would not tell you. Do not beleive what CS, CM and representatives tell you because there might be something they just can't tell you.
And yous houldn't believe BrucePrintscreen for obvious irony :P
Schtolteheim

Post by Schtolteheim »

I just joined this place I don't know the people yet, but it's noted :p.
suiken

Post by suiken »

Yo, welcome to the forum. There are only few people here nowadays, but enjoy your stay.

The fate of JRPGs this upcoming gen will depends on FFXV, Persona 5,Xenoblade X and especially Bloodborne. If all of these titles flopped or didn't met the expectations, we might as well say goodbye to great console JRPGs.

You should hope that these titles will be successful. Why? Remember when FFVII first hit the shelves in the PS1 era? Sony and many other companies started to develop RPG games too. Konami willi notice that they still have audience for RPGs and will consider returning Suikoden to the international market.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Nah, Suikoden should just stop being a JRPG and go all out Western. Western fantasies are a big thing at the moment. Screw the final fantasy and pokemon lot. :P
suiken

Post by suiken »

And turn the protagonist into some homosexual crackhead, dress Viki like a hooker you see from Duke Nukem games.