remake suikoden1 & 2

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
jin022

remake suikoden1 & 2

Post by jin022 »

i find the two especially suikoden 2 the best of all the suikoden series. 1 & 2 are the reason i got hooked in suikoden.

so i think it is a good idea if konami will remake the two. plus they can add more features like mini games, runes and secrets like secret boss, dungeon, mobs, recruitable heros, items etc.

~
dont know if this is the right section to post this.
Nikisaur

Re: remake suikoden1 & 2

Post by Nikisaur »

Do you mean re-release the same game with additional features, or a total revamp including graphics and stuff? Because they've already re-released them onto PSN and PSP.

By the way if there were more recruitable characters they couldn't be stars of destiny, just extras like the squirrels or Tir.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
jin022

Post by jin022 »

Nikisaur wrote:Do you mean re-release the same game with additional features, or a total revamp including graphics and stuff? Because they've already re-released them onto PSN and PSP.

By the way if there were more recruitable characters they couldn't be stars of destiny, just extras like the squirrels or Tir.
yup, revamp the whole suikoden 1 & 2 game. then they could add more features and enhance everything ( example is like the resident evil of capcom search it in youtube ) & make it more difficult ( i find suikoden to have no challenge after finishing it the first time)
more extra recruitable secret characters but not included in the 108 SOD.

suikoden 2 was the reason i got hooked in this series. i remember years back when i bought this game but i did not even touch it because i find it boring. but after i finished playing it, i was hooked ZOMG played it alot of times because of some secrets & multiple plots. i even tried lots of rpgs because of suikoden 2.

i think new players wont be enticed playing suikoden 2 now if konami will just re-release the title .
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I don't think it's a good idea to be honest. Suikoden 2 is my favourite game, but I think it's more in Konami's interest to create a new game to draw new fans to the series rather than revamping an old one. A new Suikoden would encourage people to play the old ones and build up the fan base, but a revamp would be something more for old fans I think.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
jin022

Post by jin022 »

as long as konami can do a better suikoden game with a better plot than suikoden 2 it's fine with me.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

There already is one, well a port anyway, it just wasn't translated to English:

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... &hilit=psp
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

I know everyone always gets all crazy when it comes to remaking classic games but i kinda agree with ya Jin if Konami was to remake the suikoden series from the start adding in mini games and jus all round make a good 'next gen' ps3/xbox RPG then it could go really well imagine how epic they would be! no added characters tho.. but they would be soo cool!
What konami needs is to get the suikoden series more fans an now is the perfect time i hardly ever these days see new JRPGs coming out so remakes of suikoden would easily get noticed!
When its all said and done im feeling like the milkmans son!
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

While my dream is to see the first two games remade with HD sprites, don't ever expect any updated versions of the games to come out. The most we'll ever get (outside of Japan) is re-releases on PSN and *maybe* a compilation. Japan got cellphone versions of Suikoden and Suikoden 2, but both of them aren't even remotely as interesting feature-wise as the PSP re-release.

Konami has had some setbacks when it comes to supporting their lesser-known and long-dead franchises lately. Konami of America recently let their Genso Suikoden trademark request expire in North America as well, so it looks like whatever short-term plans they had for the franchise have fallen through.
Formerly known as: Gothann
piano_roller

Post by piano_roller »

personally, despite what the popular notion is, i think it may not be the best idea to re-release S2, even if it were to have high sales.

I mean think about it, S2 is one of the few games in existence that commands a 200$+ price tag on ebay. If they made it available on the PS store or re released it, it would definetly lose its price value (aka the main reason why it is much more special compared to other games). This game has a lot of mystique and definently has "cult status", it should be kept this way cause it makes suikoden series have more value.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

piano_roller wrote:personally, despite what the popular notion is, i think it may not be the best idea to re-release S2, even if it were to have high sales.

I mean think about it, S2 is one of the few games in existence that commands a 200$+ price tag on ebay. If they made it available on the PS store or re released it, it would definetly lose its price value (aka the main reason why it is much more special compared to other games). This game has a lot of mystique and definently has "cult status", it should be kept this way cause it makes suikoden series have more value.

Konami does not earn anything from the $200+ sales on ebay. Re-releasing Suikoden II will result in a profit for Konami, who will then be just a tiny bit more likely to release Suikoden VI given that II's sales were high enough. That and it will make this great game more accessible for people who don't have thick wallets, and that's a good thing.
piano_roller

Post by piano_roller »

as said above, S2 will not sell enough to justify re releasing, if it didnt sell well in japan it sure as heck wont sell in north america... and lets be honest, barely anyone (except for suikoden fans) will ever buy this sprite based game- there will be no profits, nor will there be a mob of new fans just by re releasing this game..

No disrespect but you make it seem like S2 is guaranteed to make a profit for konami and it will sell so much that it ensures us a release of S6... im not a business man, but i know in my opinion that its not going to work.

as i mentioned above, atleast if they dont re release S2, it will still have that cult status value, which may actualy make the game have a certain mystique for the people who have not heard of suikoden... i mean if you search up suikoden on ebay, the first things that show up are suikoden 2 games selling for over 300$- that says a lot about the quality of the series to anyone who has never heard of suikoden... it commands respect from gamers that a PS1 game is worth that much money... that fact alone can draw more people in the long run, into trying out the series.

I do agree wiht what youre saying, it would be great to re release S2 to see the ammount of sales it gets before making S6, but they could have also just looked at suikoden 1's ammount of sales on the playstation store to indicate whether or not S6 is worht releasing or not
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

They can re-release it on PSN, iPhone, PSP, whatever. As long as they don't make the price something ludicriously high, people will still buy it and test it out.

Final Fantasy 1 and 2 got released on both PSP and iPhone, I don't see the harm that could fall upon Suikoden by doing the same deal.
piano_roller

Post by piano_roller »

yea but comparing Final Fantasy to Suikoden is like comparing apples to oranges... FF has much bigger sales, and had its own movie at one point.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

It will turn a profit if released on PSN. It's digital distribution, the manufacturing cost is ZERO and the licensing fee for a PSN release is relatively small.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

piano_roller wrote:yea but comparing Final Fantasy to Suikoden is like comparing apples to oranges... FF has much bigger sales, and had its own movie at one point.
Would you say an Apple is more tasty than an Orange? Who says someone interested in an apple won't take a taste of an orange? Final Fantasy has much bigger sales, yeah, also due to advertisement. Own movie, mhm. Of Final Fantasy VII, their most sucessful title. Did any more people than the fans look at that movie? If so, just how many? Probably not that many.

As Xelinis says, it will turn a profit if they go the digital way, if unknown RPG's can do it, then so can another RPG.