Sell Suikoden?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Tsubaki

Sell Suikoden?

Post by Tsubaki »

Anyone else think Konami should sell the rights to Suikoden to level-5 .. or even tri-ace..
its such a good game series but konami jus dont seem to do it justice anymore, never give it a good budget either..
plus are we even gona get a suikoden 6?

al probly get alot of stick for this... :wink:
When its all said and done im feeling like the milkmans son!
Xelinis

Re: Sell Suikoden?

Post by Xelinis »

Level-5 would mangle the Suikoden series beyond recognition. Tri-Ace would be acceptable if, and only if, Suguro was placed in charge of it.

I would love it if Platinum Games purchases the rights to it as well as poach the staff, but that's asking for two things that have a close to nil chance of happening.
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

I duno i do like level-5 they could bring a nice style to the game.. plus i like that there still quite a small company..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ysGqsLf2oA
like check out what they doin with that..

but tri ace would also be nice.. plus they could give it more of a budget..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWwzum7H4Jg

The only reason i say to sell it is coz konami dont really do much for it.. like 1,2 an 3 are awsome but then with 4 :/
but 5 was quite good but it could have been soo much better.. the camera angle an animation is just stupid its like they jus dont get the funding.. but suikoden has always been one of the best rpg's around so show it some love..

that would be good to have the staff but working for someone else maybe expand on the team too.. put more in an get more out..
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

hard to say that any company would really give suikoden love. for whatever reason, the gaming industry doesn't believe there is a market for traditional console rpgs. since the latest series of consoles have come out, the majority of rpgs have been action adventure types, rather than turn-based, probably to show off graphics betters. even then, then amount of games under the category of rpgs has been drastically reduced, and many are just rereleases of old games. seriously, discounting duplicates there are more rpgs for playstation 2 than Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 combined. the only system with a steady stream of new traditional rpg's in large numbers is the DSi, which is where SquareEnix decided to put Dragon Quest 9, which should be a sign of where suikoden is likely to be heading, unless it wants to majorly revamp itself for a mainstream console release.

if another company were to make suikoden, it would likely be Atlus or Sega. Atlus, because all Atlus does is make old school games(well, all that atlus does well), although, it would likely be a DS or a downloadable game. Sega has shown itself capable of making some pretty good games like skies of arcadia or valkyria chronicles, so they could definitely do it, if they so chose, plus they have been fairly successful at synthesizing old and new concepts together, which could breath new life into Suikoden, without killing what people love about it.
skymansxeno

Post by skymansxeno »

Would Konami really sell the rights for Suikoden though? Although RPGs are a smaller market than they used to be it's still a profitable market and Suikoden is the only RPG series they have that has had any kind of success. I doubt they want to let it go.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Only place I want to see it sold to would be Blue Moon Studios.

Tri-Ace? Pfft, I've played Star Ocean 3, I'd rather have Komuta stay in charge than that. Radiata Stories was a poor mans Suikoden, a lot of characters with no purpose and an unengaging story. One of the SoDs would probably be Lenneth as well, most overrated character from the most overrated game without Final Fantasy in the title.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

I see what ya mean about not as big a market for rpg's like in the good old days of the ps1 an 2 you had a hell of alot to pick from all ya breath of fires, chronos an well all sorts.. was a good time.. but now they do only seem to make action rpg's or thos fps rpg's
but every now an then ya do get somethin that comes out like a jrpg like tales of vesperia or even radiata stories..

so if they was to sell suikoden they could always upgrade it like turn based battles are a bit dated an stuff now.. they could do so much more with it and i think if konami keep making um there jus gona make 'ok' games when 'suikoden' should be an epic game..

and if you think about it the less jrpg's there are out there the less competion there is so if they made a new Suikoden an spent alot of time on it actually put some money into it people would buy it..
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

The only other person besides Murayama that I know could handle the intricacies of the Suikoden world (politics, a crapton of characters, LOTS of nations) would be Yasumi Matsuno. Thing is, he's back at Square Enix right now and we all know how apathetic they are about IPs that aren't Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest... The fact that it took them this long to announce a new Ogre franchise release and it being a remake goes to show how little faith I have in Matsuno's freedom to do what he believes is right (look at Final Fantasy XII).
Formerly known as: Gothann
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Only place I want to see it sold to would be Blue Moon Studios.

Tri-Ace? Pfft, I've played Star Ocean 3, I'd rather have Komuta stay in charge than that. Radiata Stories was a poor mans Suikoden, a lot of characters with no purpose and an unengaging story. One of the SoDs would probably be Lenneth as well, most overrated character from the most overrated game without Final Fantasy in the title.

Nar man radiata stories is a really cool 'fun' game its really funny and ya actually enjoy playing..
when i was first looking at it i thought it looked a bit shifty but the characters an script are really good..
even the style an graphics are good.. there is alot they could improve tho but its a really unique rpg..

i also love Valkyrie Profile altho i know what ya mean she is very overrated.. and star ocean is a bit lame :/
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Tri-Ace? Pfft, I've played Star Ocean 3, I'd rather have Komuta stay in charge than that. Radiata Stories was a poor mans Suikoden, a lot of characters with no purpose and an unengaging story. One of the SoDs would probably be Lenneth as well, most overrated character from the most overrated game without Final Fantasy in the title.

This sums up most of my feelings around Tri-Ace, but again, with the exception of Suguro (FFTactics & Vagrant Story scenario planner, Valkyrie Profile 2 & Resonance of Fate director).
eldrasidar wrote:Sega has shown itself capable of making some pretty good games like skies of arcadia or valkyria chronicles, so they could definitely do it, if they so chose, plus they have been fairly successful at synthesizing old and new concepts together, which could breath new life into Suikoden, without killing what people love about it.
Actually, that's a good point: Sega Wow (the division of Sega that made Skies of Arcadia and Valkyria Chronicles) would be an ideal place for Suikoden to land. Heck, Suikoden V's main writer, Tsugawa, was a major contributor to Skies of Arcadia's scenario.

LanceHeart wrote:The only other person besides Murayama that I know could handle the intricacies of the Suikoden world (politics, a crapton of characters, LOTS of nations) would be Yasumi Matsuno. Thing is, he's back at Square Enix right now and we all know how apathetic they are about IPs that aren't Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest... The fact that it took them this long to announce a new Ogre franchise release and it being a remake goes to show how little faith I have in Matsuno's freedom to do what he believes is right (look at Final Fantasy XII).

Matsuno's work is great, but I think it's a bit to Shakespearian for Suikoden. He has confirmed that he is at a new company working on a new Wii RPG, but he's just temporarily back at Square as a consultant for the Tactics Ogre remake.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Tri-Ace? Pfft, I've played Star Ocean 3.
You should try 4. I found it to be a big improvement.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

It was that the story was just so utterly stupid that I lost any interest I ever had in the series, and I used to like Star Ocean 2.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Hirathien wrote:
Raww Le Klueze wrote:Tri-Ace? Pfft, I've played Star Ocean 3.
You should try 4. I found it to be a big improvement.

SO4 was AWFUL. The gameplay was an improvement over SO3 but it still cannot match the speed of SO2. That and the story was an insult to every single brain cell.
Tsubaki

Post by Tsubaki »

so does anyone agree then.. ?
i think it would be maybe the best idea really for the future of suikoden..

what i would like to see if they did sell it is if they remade each game (not needed) and gave them all like the same sorta style graphics something nice to look at... plus this way people who aint played the old uns could also easy get into the games..

i duno bout saga tho.. something about em.. but i aint really played any of there rpg's.. i also think no to square-enix..
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

The biggest thing about selling Suikoden off to someone else is that there's no knowing how the IP will be treated, if at all. Most sold IPs have gone from top/near-top tier to bottom feeders within a generation (biggest IP sales I can think of are EverQuest and Crash Bandicoot... surprise surprise, Sony was involved in both). With Suikoden being fragile as it is when it comes to the actual games (franchising saves it from being ignored by Konami, basically) I don't see any purchasing company doing more for the Suikoden brand than Konami already does.

Were Konami to be bought by another company, we might see some improvement it the franchise's status. I won't agree on a straight-up sale of the IP being beneficial, though.
Xelinis wrote:Matsuno's work is great, but I think it's a bit to Shakespearian for Suikoden. He has confirmed that he is at a new company working on a new Wii RPG, but he's just temporarily back at Square as a consultant for the Tactics Ogre remake.
That's only because we've rarely seen him stray from medieval projects. His only released project that isn't part of Ivalice or the Ogre franchise is Madworld.
Formerly known as: Gothann