Suikoden has ended?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
True Griever

Re: Suikoden has ended?

Post by True Griever »

Hirathien wrote:What's wrong with Suikoden 2's cover? I like it.

Too much coolness up there...
So you want a protagonist that mows through an army... And this is related to the story how? If the person could do that, why would you need 108 characters? And would this person even be mortal? Human? So far all Tenkai's have been.

The hero is fine, they just need to actually put the game out there and say "Hey guys, we released a game! It's about this and that, here's a trailer!" and put it in the news or something, and it will take care of itself. It doesn't need coolness.
Yes s2 cover was fine, that made people buy it, however he was still a pancy.
Don't take the mowing part to serious, just 5-6 guys whit a whole compagny behind him.
I am ok with the main guy to, but even if they did do a major advertisement for suikoden 5, many people wouldn't buy it because they would be playing with a girly boy.
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

Yeah, I bought Suikoden 5 because I've played the others...5's protagonist was extremely feminine but I had to beat the game cause it was another Suikoden. Same goes for Tierkreis, at the time my enjoyment for that genre was pretty much dead but I got it because it was another game in the franchise.
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
Thiamor

Post by Thiamor »

I think for it to sell well it needs to be a direct Suikoden (original, main series) story-line, filled in plot holes, and for them to go back (cheaper, original, classic) to the original style. (2d for outside of battles) Not 3D, but not really 2d like most of the games back them. Mainly how the battles were. It may be an outdated style, but it was THE style that also made Suikoden what it was. I feel they should go back and do the classic style for a new Suikoden release.

Also they could easily (if they hadn't already) do a prequel and show how the True Runes were TRULY made, who the first people to utilize the True Runes power, and the first runes to be created from the True Runes. I know the story of the Sword and the Shield, though. But that is a story, and it'd be interesting to see a game showing this, or a logical way it was formed.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I doubt something that got something to do with Magic ever has a logical way.

Considering the market for other "Small" games on the PSN and Xbox Marketplace, there seems to be an actual market for people buying games to just be directly downloaded. I know there's a thread on here about this and after some consideration, if they can't be bothered making a disc, advertising it, they can at least give us a new game on the PSN...
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

If things keep this way Suikoden is probably ended, because if Konami still wants to make profit of the Suikoden franchise they are doing things in a misterious way to say the least, in my opinion

However, considering how technology improves and how young hardcore fans have grown into adults I dont doubt several Suikoden fan made (in the PSone style) will pop up in the future.
Ashietaka

Post by Ashietaka »

I think no matter what Konami needs to keep Suikoden alive and going. Suikoden is such a special series and it's hard to even think that the series has ended. There is such a huge fan base that something needs to be done. One of their biggest problems with the series has always been their advertising. They give notice about the game and then 2 months later they release it. They need to have it advertised everywhere, plain and simple. Since there's such a huge fan base, I think a petition should be made to show that people really want this game made, and the fans need to try hard to to hype up the game as well. I'm not a hand held type of gamer, I want Suikoden 6, and I want it on the PS3 or 360, both for that matter. whoever has information or knows how to get some sort of petition started to send to Konami, please lets get it started and notify everyone. =)
Themadcow

Post by Themadcow »

Suikoden does not have a 'huge' fan base - it has a dedicated small fanbase. Unfortunately, dedicated fans don't neccessarily buy 3 copies of each game (or even additional merchandise) so Konami doesn't get much additional value from dedicated fans.

Compare the total sales of all the Suikoden games combined (circa 1.8m) against the total sales of a series of similar size - the Kingdom Hearts games (12m sales) for an idea of the difference in revenues for RPG's.

Saying that, it doesn't mean that titles that shift 150,000 (Tier) - 400,000 (S2/3) units aren't viable. The SMT series goes on like a steam train shifting similar figures - although their model now seems to be based on download sales and enhanced remakes such as Persona Portable (circa 200,000 sales) or P3 Portable (300,000.
Ashietaka

Post by Ashietaka »

yeah, that's true, haha, there isn't a huge fan base really. It's a shame that a lot of people who enjoy RPG's haven't even played Suikoden. I have two friends who are huge into RPG's and they haven't played one, even after I've told them how good the games are. Well, we can only hope they continue making games, it is a business and if they're not making profit off of it, then the future looks bleak.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I think you are absaloutely correct in what you are saying though Ashietaka. It is a really good idea for a petition to be drawn up, or even for fans to try and find some way to cotnact Konami in regards to their marketing strategies. Even if the fans could somehow help advertise the series outside of Japan?
Ashietaka

Post by Ashietaka »

why thank you! =) yeah, I just think that word of mouth and people hyping up the game in general could always help sales. You need advertising, something Konami has been laking. But, there is so many other ways that say the fans could help spread the word or bring hype to the release of the game, like using youtube and what we're doing here, this stuff is great. I think every little bit helps, so go to websites like gamespot.com and write a review about a Suikoden game or the most current one. I see there's been some things on facebook for petition for Suikoden 6, I've "liked" those pages to support, I don't know if any of that will help, but who knows, for now there's very few supporters on those things, but it's nice to see people care. I feel weird talking about Suikoden like this, but it really is the only series that I really care about. Lets keep hoping for Suikoden 6, and Happy 15 year Anniversary to the Suikoden series.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Aye, I don't think theres anything wrong with the kind of small support you're talking about. Even if it amounts to very little, little is still better than nothing, right? Although I have a feeling alot of people would disagree with that attitude. I think we do have to be aware though of how we are supporting Suikoden, and in what ways, because if our support does amount to nothing - then its wasted energy.

The best thing we could do would be to get as many people as possible from this forum, and otherwise, who have the same attitude and then actualy try to positively influence the future of Suikoden.

For example, when (no, not 'if') Suikoden VI is announced, we should perhaps look into many, various ways in which we can adverise and promote the series ourselves?
Ashietaka

Post by Ashietaka »

yeah, you're right. Little support is better then none. I'm not sure as to what ways to promote it other then doing stuff like this and youtube. I'm not sure how to hype up the other Suikoden games other then just talking about them to people and letting them know what great games they are. Time has passed so people are just looking for the latest and greatest. maybe we'll get a forum on here about a petition and see how many people we can get, and have it emailed to Konami. Not sure, any ideas from anyone is welcomed.
daoster

Post by daoster »

Themadcow wrote:Suikoden does not have a 'huge' fan base - it has a dedicated small fanbase. Unfortunately, dedicated fans don't neccessarily buy 3 copies of each game (or even additional merchandise) so Konami doesn't get much additional value from dedicated fans.

Compare the total sales of all the Suikoden games combined (circa 1.8m) against the total sales of a series of similar size - the Kingdom Hearts games (12m sales) for an idea of the difference in revenues for RPG's.
That's not a good comparison though...consider the fact that the Kingdom Hearts series features characters recognized WORLDWIDE (Disney and Final Fantasy), and Suikoden...doesn't...one would imagine, with their eyes closed, that Kingdom Hearts would outsell Suikoden a million times over.

And I wonder how the dedicated fanbase can last for Suikoden...the games aren't exactly easy to find (at least here in the States, and I imagine it'd be harder to find in Europe), a small sect of the fanbase keeps on clamoring that the 2nd game is the best game in the universe...and 2nd game also happens to be one of the hardest (and most expensive) to find, so potential new fans don't get to even try the series...and if the only scraps Konami throws at this dedicated fanbases are useless and expensive Encyclopedias that add almost nothing to the lore, useless and expensive music collections, and manga's that basically regurgitate the stories of the games some of us played almost a decade ago...

Well, I dunno, the dedicated fanbases are probably just going to give up and look for other games that fill their needs.

The ambitious petition that Blue Moon did a couple of years ago probably wouldn't get half the signatures if it were done today, sad to say.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, I think it is far too early to tell whether or not the series has ended. But I have said before that Konami would have publicly dropped the games long ago is not for the dedicated fan base.

Many games, especially RPGs, have fan bases, but if you look around, almost none of those bases are nearly as dedicated as the Suikoden Base. Shin Megami Tensei, Disgea, .hack//, Grandia, and all the other PSX and PS2 - a host of them - all have their fan bases, but none are as long-lasting and dedicated as Suikoden.

There is no way that Konami is completely unaware of this, and these types of fan bases -while they don't sell games- do point to the possibility of future sales, and future popularity. They do make it far more likely that a game will be made, they show potential/

Konami is a company that it doing quite well financially, and I could see them adopting a new Suikoden game while aiming for a 300,000 copy sale. This is not only possible, but has been done in the past, despite limited production runs in the States and Europe. Konami can always rely on their flagship series, Metal Gear, and their social phenomina series like DDR to make the big money. They also show attention to other series like Castlevania and now Silent Hill is getting another chapter in its story. While Suikoden fall well below these in sales, it does provide a reasonable chance of profit, with little to lose from Konami's perspective.

So, I believe that Konami is looking to make a new main entry Suikoden, but simply is looking for the best staff and opportunity to release it. I believe that the opportunity is now, with sales for home console RPGs sluggish, (with a few exceptions like FF XIII) and a weakening interest in MMOs (Again despite astronomical sales for WoW Cataclysm, in the realm of 3 million on the first day alone, many MMOs are struggling like FF XIV) So, Konami is in a position to make a reasonable hit with a Suikoden VI.

I think it is time for the fans to make some noise and show Konami that we, too, would like another game in the series.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Very true, Rooks. I think if you look at the amount of both Teirkries AND main Suikoden media that Konami have handed out recently, it shows the series is far from forgotten about. Opinions on Teirkries aside, the last time they released a Suikoden game was only 2 years ago.

However, I believe that right now is an ideal opportunity for fans to speak up about Suikoden. The RPG market is not what it used to be, it is a much quieter market now. That, plus the silence over our very own beloved series, has left a gap which can be filled with noise from our fanbase. This is an ideal time and opportunity. I say we continously contact Konami, asking them to speed up production, give them ideas to how we want the series to continue (i.e ''You better NOT be making Teirkries II!), or at the very least to get some bloody answers from them and break the silence on Suikoden VI.

One thing for sure is that OUR participation will show them they still have a good, solid fanbase and that they shouldn'y give up on us.

Lets do it Ryan!