Suikoden Compendium

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Jeremiah Ecks

Suikoden Compendium

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

Got a few suggestions about what maybe could happen to the series. The FF series is big on it's remakes at the moment and although that has more of a market I suppose than Suikoden, judging by the fact that rip-off merchants can still sell the game at extortionately high prices and still get a sell, the game is certainly in some kind of demand. Word of mouth and the annals of time also seem quite generous to the series.

So here's my suggestion; Konami should do a compendium for the PS3, Wii and maybe X-Box. Particularly the Wii, not because I particularly think it's a good console, but it's an untapped market that Tierkris may have just opened up with the DS.

The compendium should be as thus: The Suikoden I & II remakes from the PSP. Suikoden III, IV, V and Tactics. And of course, the two Suikogaiden games. All of which should be translated to English and released in Japan, Europe and US.

What should be changed? Memory card saves from I - III should be intact but if you use a save from III to IV, there should be a bonus - maybe the Rune of Punishment in Atonement stage from the start, or more alternative costumes for an assortment of characters. IV to Tactics could remain intact but a perfect save from IV or Tactics should maybe open up Lazlo or Kyril as a playable character in SV. Everything else should stay the same, methinks. Absolutely everything. Maybe a little tidying, like they did with the PSP remake, but nothing substantial. And maybe translation errors. Maybe.

Such a disk would be gorgeous and I think set the tone for other types of compendiums - a Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or classic RPG (Lunar!) one would be sweet. They've done this kind of thing before - Mario All Stars, Sonic Collections and the like. They always seem to sell well, and multi-platform sales.

This would be perfection encapsulated, don't you think? Then us starved brits can finally have the Suikoden I & II remakes, SIII and Suikogaidens. Yuuuuumy. :twisted:

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who knows this whole post is the most wishful thinking post since Guybrush Threepwood wore a Pot and got shot out of a cannon...
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
Celes
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden Compendium

Post by Celes »

I quite agree with you on all points, yet I suppose that won't happen in the near future.

But doesn't the PSP S1 version has this awful experience glitch? I would prefer the Saturn version, which has additional content, an extra rune and armor + mini-game.

And some more bug fixes for S2. I believe they just fixed the matilda gate glitch (at least...).
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I love the idea, but don't think it would ever happen.

The only suggestion that I disagree with is the III to IV save data making the RoP in its atonement stage from the start, since that would conflict with the plot of IV and make recruiting the 108 stars and forgiving Snowe pretty much meaningless. The other save bonuses are good because they do not alter the plot.

What extra rune and mini games are in the Sega Saturn version of S1? I never knew it had additional content.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Blutigengel wrote: What extra rune and mini games are in the Sega Saturn version of S1? I never knew it had additional content.
Look here: http://suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 50&start=0&

@Topic: I had the same idea, but don't think it will ever happen.

Additionally, I don't think it would make sense to copy data from Suikoden III to IV, as.. well, it just wouldn't make sense!? If they would re-release all games one a PS 2 disc, they could go IV->Tactics->V->1->II->Suikogaiden1/2->Suikoden III (in the japanese version, you could transfer data from suikoden II to suikogaiden and from that to suikoden III, if I'm not mistaken), but that would only be troublesome.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

This is not impossible, but definitely improbable.

Even if such compilation does come out (perhaps as a nod to mark the series' eventual closure), it may not come out beyond Japan. If Konami has issues with releasing even a bundle of Suikoden I+II for the PSP abroad, who knows if they'd find the guts to localise this huge port.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Thanks for the link, Anti. I don't like the mini game changes, but getting the darkness rune (a second soul eater, pretty much) would be pretty cool, though it kind of diminishes the importance of the soul eater there.

Speaking of the save data from Suikogaidens, was there anything extra they got from that data that we didn't get from transferring the data from II?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Blutigengel wrote: Speaking of the save data from Suikogaidens, was there anything extra they got from that data that we didn't get from transferring the data from II?
I think only a letter from Nash in the comment box or something like this^^
If Konami has issues with releasing even a bundle of Suikoden I+II for the PSP abroad, who knows if they'd find the guts to localise this huge port.
Right...
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Antimatzist wrote:I think only a letter from Nash in the comment box or something like this^^
Lamest save data bonus ever...
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

You're all right of course. This won't happen, but you never know in the cold light of day... something, somewhere could stir...

What bonuses would you want to transfer from IV to Tactics to V and then on to I if they did a Compendium and gave you the option of 'playing through in order' as it were?

I know one thing for sure - if this 'compendium' were released - but weirder things have happened! - it's almost certainly going to be a) Japanese only and b) missing Tierkris, Suikogaiden and / or Card Stories. I even forget Card Stories was there to be honest!

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who has depressed himself with this topic, the n00b. Bwah.
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

b) missing Tierkris
What would Tierkreis be doing in a Suikoden compendium anyway when it doesn't even belong to the same series?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.