Suikoden 6, I hope there is no voice acting

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
avenger

Re: Suikoden 6, I hope there is no voice acting

Post by avenger »

Dynasty Warriors also had Jap or Amer. voice options.

Yes i agree that if a game is on a small system aka Ds, or PSP, then we could live without the voices.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Even with Japanese voices, I think VA is a important part of a game these days. Text can only project so much emotion, adding voices to those words make it almost perfect. The emotions that you can get from VA really make the game that more excitable.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
avenger

Post by avenger »

EXACTLY THANKS. hearing voices will make you feel as if you are there. Hence it will also determine how YOUR emotions will be. Aka cry, laugh get angry..
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Honestly, I hate the voice acting in Suikoden. It is far too cheesy and unrealistic. I agree that it can breathe life into characters and bring a more emotional depth to the game but only when it is done right, which in my opinion, has never been done in Suikoden. Konami hire lame 'B-movie' type actors for the voice overs unlike the Japanese counterparts which are taken far more seriously.

S4/Tactics had reasonable acting, I thought S5 for the most part was terrible (except from most of Georg) and, perhaps surprisingly, Teirkries was the best produced and acted despite the insanley rushed speeds of the voice overs. I played S3 after S4 and it was a welcome return to hearing characters voiced in my head rather than out my TV. It ruins it.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

to tell the truth, I don't really care if there is VA or not, but the way game industries go, they can't afford to make a game without them on a console. PSP/DS, yes. PS3/Xbox/Wii, no. It just became part of the game. People would complain more without VA than with VA and I think Konami would prefer to loose a couple of fan rather than a bunch of potential buyer....
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Yea, unfortunatly, this is true. They should atleast give you the option to turn it on or off though.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I don't care if the game has voice acting, but they should invest some money to the voice actors though, look at other games, there's some with terrific voice actors.. Then we see others with horrendous.

Hopefully, since it will come to the PS3 (I Think, if anything) it will have both Japanese and English VA, since BluRay got loads of storage capacity.

But voice acting done correctly, is awesome.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Hirathien wrote:I don't care if the game has voice acting, but they should invest some money to the voice actors though
That's the problem. There is no way they'll do a full game without voice acting and since Konami of America knows it won't sell any extreme amounts they won't hire any expensive actors to do it.

Best you can hope for is that they don't go back to whatever people did Tierkreis' voices cause that was atrocious. Suikoden IV and V aren't exactly good but in comparison they're lightyears ahead.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

Voice acting is not so important, when you have a game with an amazing plot, nice characters, a very good gameplay, etc.. the other things, like graphics or voice acting, are totally secondary.
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
1234569and10

Post by 1234569and10 »

I don't mind bad voice acting so long as it effectively carries the story. The acting in Power Rangers is pretty lame and over-done, but even still, it's effective...

I'm not sure what I'm getting at, but even if the acting is bad, it's not all bad, you know?

I dunno! Dx
No, Jowy, I do not want your stupid carrots.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

1234569and10 wrote:I'm not sure what I'm getting at, but even if the acting is bad, it's not all bad, you know?
If it's bad, it's bad.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Honestly, I think Suikoden is better off without it. I cant stand bad voice acting. It ruined Suikoden 5 for me. It CAN add depth to the characters but it is very rarely done well. That coupled with poor, unrealsitic and/or cheese ball motion acting is inbearable to watch. Modern day games really should have voice acting but I highly doubt Konami is ever going to shell out to get decent English voice acting in Suikoden. They should give you the option to turn it on or off ....and improve the motion actions!
1234569and10

Post by 1234569and10 »

Hirathien wrote:
If it's bad, it's bad.
Obviously. xD But what I was saying is that even when it's not of a high or adequate quality, it can still be enjoyable.
No, Jowy, I do not want your stupid carrots.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

the thing with the voice acting, is that there is about 100 voice actors who do the vast majority of english voice acting in video games and anime. suikoden 4 and 5 has employed several very talented voice actors. however doing voice over work for a video game is very different from a show. in a show, you typically run through scenes and interact with other actors, and get context for lines and so forth. For most games, you generally get a list of things to say, and you say them a couple times, and your done. It's not really the actors fault at that point, it's the environment the work in. Ideally, they should play through the game and really get to know their characters before doing the voice-overs, but that just simply isn't done.

for me, I find most of the voice acting generally acceptable(or comical), so I'm okay with it. However, I must insist on talking heroes with voice acting. I'm fine with doing goofy things like substituting player made names with "prince" but I want there to be dialogue. It just so awkward to have your character be silent with 107 others who all talk.
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

I like the voice acting, even if it takes alot of time to get used to (Like Kyril and Marica's voice actors didn't fit at all for me, but I eventually got used to it.)

You could always mute the tv/DS/whatever else there could be| if you really dislike the voices XD
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤