Rune ideas for Radio submission?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Role

Re: Rune ideas for Radio submission?

Post by Role »

I'm... NOT gonna do true runes. Rather, I'm going to suggest some common/rare runes, and some suggestions to fix other runes.

Such as the Sword of Magic runes... I like how they did the first three spells for them, but they should have a final spell. And keeping in touch with the sword nature of them, it should be an attack spell. Nothing on par with the fourth Thunder/Rage/etc runes, but more like something that causes damage in between the third and fourth spells for those runes. All should be single target, and have some kind of sword symbolism involved (such as a sword of that element slamming down in the enemy, perhaps). It'd make them more useful, in my opinion.

Shot Rain Rune - for archers only - deals 1x damage to all foes. Unbalances user, one use per battle only.

Twin Act Rune - when user attacks, they attack twice as many times, but each hit is only at 60% its normal power. Doesn't work with rune commands/spells.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

I talked about this in a similar thread on Suikox but I've decided to make a post here as well.

The Rune of Fate.

Fate is like a raging river, moving with great strength down its given path. While controlling it is possible, it is a difficult and monumental task. Using its infinite knowledge of the world, the Rune of Fate grants the bearer great power in exchange for one thing; a guarantee that the Rune's influence on the world around it, which it believes to bring about Order, is enforced. For example, if a child in a burning house is deemed worthy to live, the Rune shall infuse the bearer with the strength and swiftness to save him/her. However, if that child is not deemed worthy to continue living, the Rune will prevent it's bearer from reacting, whether it be through simply paralyzing him or even taking his life.

Despite the bearer retaining full consciousness, he essentially becomes a puppet of the Rune, ensuring that Order is preserved. The will of the Rune must be obeyed at all times, even if it means the death of thousands.
Mise

Post by Mise »

Well, I've been lurking Suikosource for quite some time now, and I finally feel like I have a reason to post.
I was working on Chris' level 99 exploit in Chapter 1 when Salome mentioned answering to the "Council and the Zexen Rune", which lead me to wonder what this rune is. I've played through each Suikoden multiple times and this is the only time it has ever been mentioned.

So I wonder what this rune would do, and if it would make another appearance later? Maybe a brother rune to the sovereign rune from Suiko1?
It would be awesome for the founding of Vinay Del Zexay to be the theme of a future Suikoden, in which the Zexen Rune is the hero's true rune.
It is no coincidence that man's best friend is incapable of speech.
Eden

Post by Eden »

I think it has been stated that this is a mis-translation and it should have been "Zexen Crest", but as I know me, I probably confuse things :-)

EDIT: Oh, I just realised this thread has been revived twice ^^
The Fool
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Eden, you are correct. The Zexen 'rune' is not a rune. It's a crest.
Mise

Post by Mise »

That's disappointing. XD

*stamps out idea of Zexen Rune.*
Well, I would be quite eager to actually experience the reality of the rune of change and the Sindar, with how nomadic they were until they reached their eternal home. It carries all the potential to fit the mold of all other Suikodens, a headquarters, a massive following of one person who bears a true rune. All that is needed is a different conflict.

I would also like to have a Suikoden of the original Fire Bringer, wherein you can play as the first Flame Champion.

Another I would like to see would be a nod to the gate rune before it was separated into two halves. Perhaps the hero who would bear the true gate rune would be the one to split it into halves at the end?
It is no coincidence that man's best friend is incapable of speech.
bratt_n

Post by bratt_n »

true wind+earth+lightning+fire+water=

Cataclysm rune
The rune that signifies dramatic change, renewal through destruction and nature's wrath. The world of Suikoden is 1000 years old as far as I'm aware. This could be happening as a cycle of cataclysms that should be broken by the hero. May be a reference to why Luc desired the destruction of the Wind Rune so and where he was wrong and how's Uber related to all this.

spells
lvl 1.
Omen = Reveal the signs of the imminent change.
(minor damage+random status for 1 turn 60%)
lvl 2.
Last Resort = Prepare for the inevitable spiritually.
(moderate heal+regen to all allies)
lvl 3.
Reshape = Gather the essence of the elements to erase the sinful world.
(major damage to everybody, except the user)
lvl 4.
Renewal = Fulfil your destiny by creating the world anew.
(Fully restore/heal or Revive allies+moderate heal enemies)
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I'm bored and made what many have already made, just my own custom of spells for it though and the way it can be used in the Suikoden world, I present you another Time/Space Rune. I first posted this idea on Senso Suikoden forum sometime back. I don't imply that all of these are possible, just a work of fantasy upon my part.

Rune of Transcendent

Rune of Time/Space.

This rune as the name implies has the ability to warp and manipulate the very fabrics of time and space. Certain abilities will be available, such as teleport, changing the flow of time, freezing time, allow dimensional rifts to open, which can be used for devastating attacks. Other possibilities are available as well, and because I am very bored; I will make up my own spell list for that rune.

• Dark Compression. - The first spell of the rune, able to manipulate gravity around the individual and causing it to increase drastically in singular areas. The result, the individual will be crushed by gravity. It will also have the ability once cast, to slow down the individual and their defense halved.

• Time Reset. - A unique second spell, it grants the user the ability to restart the battle if things are not looking too well or if the player made a mistake.

• Frozen Reality. - The third spell, it manipulates the flow of time around all individuals which the spell is cast at, it freezes the passage of time, in the result, the individuals are frozen in a stasis like state for a small amount of time(3 turns). As time resumes regularly, the caster will be inflicted 5% of the total damage that the frozen individuals received.

• Sinister Calamity. - As with most fourth spells, this one will do massive damage to the opposition. It distorts reality and space, by creating a worm hole and allowing a celestial body/meteor to flow through the hole and wreck havoc upon enemies, causing extensive damage.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Zykerion

Post by Zykerion »

I've been around the site a few times and this is the first time I've been in the forums, mostly because I was looking for a thread of this particular nature.

Something you have to consider if you're inventing a True Rune is, what's left to represent? There have been 18 runes shown so far that have been established as True Runes (jury's still out for me on a few of them that have been 'confirmed' such as the Eightfold Rune) and they seem to cover almost every element/emotion you could think of. So with 9 of them left to be revealed, what concepts could you cover a True Rune with?

I like the Rune of Time ideas (in all the forms I've seen in this thread) and I've had an idea for that as well, though it seems like that would be difficult to implement.

A Rune of Knowledge is an interesting take as well. Sounds like a cursed rune, almost, in that you would be forced to see things you might not want to see, such as the greatest atrocities that might befall civilizations to come, or civilizations that have gone.

An idea I've had here recently (and I'm not entirely sure if this is covered by the Sovereign Rune) is a Rune that allows the control/cancellation/sealing of other True Runes, a sort of 'Master Key' as it were. Again, this would be difficult to implement, story wise.

Just my thoughts on the matter.