Alternate Suikoden I cover artwork?

For asking questions about how to obtain copies of the actual videogames themselves.
DKGafgar

Alternate Suikoden I cover artwork?

Post by DKGafgar »

A long time ago, back in the early days of Suikoden, there were some copies of the original Genso Suikoden for sale at a small game store close to where I lived for about $40 a copy. I'd always wanted to get one, but my family was going through a rough period at the time and we never had the money (or so my parents said at the time). Later we moved, and now copies are almost impossible to find.

At any rate, my question is regarding the cover artwork I saw there - the majority of the game's copies featured the "realistic" artwork (which to be frank I believe is the primary reason my, at the time, overly fundamentalist parents never bought a copy on the handful of occasions when we had the money for it), while another lone copy featured a more anime-style artwork that looked very similar to the art seen on Suikoden II's case, similar to the PAL release's cover art but on a black background.

I've been wanting to get a complete collection of the Suikoden series - I've got II and III now, and I've played IV and beaten V - and I've decided to start from the beginning with Genso Suikoden (which I played, but never beat after finding out to my dismay that the copy I rented was bugged at Neclord's castle and would not let the player advance past a certain puzzle). I was hoping to get ahold of a copy with the anime-style artwork I saw before rather than the... less aesthetically pleasing 'realistic' cover art. If anyone can identify for me which version of cover art this is, and where I might be able to find a copy with this version, I'd be grateful.
Redheim

Re: Alternate Suikoden I cover artwork?

Post by Redheim »

ebay man. That's the answer for everything that involves buying Suikoden.
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
GrymReaper

Post by GrymReaper »

The NTSC version was the only one graced with that horrible cover art; PAL and Japan had the awesome cover art. I'm assuming the Japanese Saturn cover art was similar as well. So if you're looking for a US version, you're SOL unless you just wanna scan a copy of the other releases' cover and put that on top. I've thought of doing that myself, but I'm far too lazy.
DKGafgar

Post by DKGafgar »

Hmm, I wonder why the version I saw in the store had the PAL cover then. Ah well, I'll probably do the scan thing like you said later.

As for the game itself, it should be arriving today. $50 on Amazon.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

Good for you. ^_^ I hope you have fun with it.
DKGafgar

Post by DKGafgar »

It arrived today - with the alternate artwork I'd seen. Awesome.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yeah, the NTSC version has two different cover arts. The first run had the horrible art. They change subsequent runs with the same art used for the Japanese / PAL versions.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

You sure they aren't just using the manual to double as the front?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

How much different is this alternate cover artwork? I always thought the realistic, original one was weird and looks nothing like the theme of the game. Can someone put a link to the image here? It'll be much appreciated.
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

Here it is. http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G ... 4110.L.jpg

I don't like the realistic artwork either. It doesn't make sence to me. ;_;
DKGafgar

Post by DKGafgar »

The PAL cover is here, and like the Japanese version (and the NTSC version I bought) uses the mural Ivanov paints for the cover. I have no idea what the 'realistic' style artwork is supposed to be, though I guess that COULD be Barbarossa in the upper left and Windy in the lower left. And why is a random enemy from Neclord's castle on the cover? My mom threw a shitfit over it.
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

In the "realistic" style, there are Barbarossa, Windy and Ted on the left side and Luc on the right side. I'm pretty sure they're them. I forgot who is the girl on the right supposed to be. And that monster looks very similar to an enemy in Neclord castle. Oh, on the center of the pic is supposed to be Futch riding Black.
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Kagiya

Post by Kagiya »

Paler than Moon wrote:In the "realistic" style, there are Barbarossa, Windy and Ted on the left side and Luc on the right side. I'm pretty sure they're them. I forgot who is the girl on the right supposed to be. And that monster looks very similar to an enemy in Neclord castle. Oh, on the center of the pic is supposed to be Futch riding Black.
Leknaat maybe since Luc is there? I have the version with the anime style cover, thank god.
whileheavenwept

Post by whileheavenwept »

I've never heard of the NTSC version having anything other than the realistic artwork on it. Could someone post a link with the different cover of the NTSC?
Redheim

Post by Redheim »