[Tutorial] Making Suikoden 3 work on a PAL Ps2 without Mods

For asking questions about how to obtain copies of the actual videogames themselves.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Ok...
I live in Australia...Never got Suikoden III...have a perfect PS2...
do you think I should do the swap magic method? Is it worth it?
Moody_Mage

Post by Moody_Mage »

Please reply to this A.S.A.P, somebody - once you do the trick with the slide tool and insert the Suikoden III disk, can u eject the tray as normal? Or will you need to do that every time?
You can eject the disc as normal, the only difference is that you will be able to do so without the little plastic cover on the front of the disc tray.

I have a silver satin PS2 so it is fairly new still and a version 3 swap disc. I also just bought Suikoden 3 hoping that it would work.

Once I got the hang of how to actually use the slide card tool and the sequence order in which you need to use the boot discs I was away! Suikoden 3 works perfectly! Be aware that you will probably beed to purchase an RGB cable for your PS2, I picked one up from ebay for about £3.

Also one little tip I can give. Usually you will need to insert the CD boot disc, normally eject that disc once it is loaded and then normally insert the DVD boot disc. Once this is loaded then you need to slide open the tray, insert your copy of Suikoden 3, manually close the tray and then re-lock it with you slide card. Sometime the PS2 will throw out the CD boot disc saying it needs a proper compatible PS2 disc. If this does happen then use the DVD boot disc first, then normally use the CD boot disc and then normally use the DVD disc again, slide your copy of Suikoden in and done.

Good luck!
True Wind Bearer

Sounds good-
Question.
1. Is the work you need to do to find the place to put the slide-card difficult?
2. What does the RGB cable do? Is it needed?
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

The RGB cable (also known as scart I think) is used to transfer the NTSC signal to your TV, that has to be compatible with NTSC in the first place and 60 Hz.
But don't take all I say for granted since my tech knowledge is limited if anyone care to correct me please go ahead.
But what I suggest to all PAL users out there is to get an American PS2, especially if you are a fan of RPG's since there many that didn't get a PAL version release.
And the PS2 is not that expensive anymore but if you don't intend to play other games than Suikoden III you better stick to the other methods.
”I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone”
~Arenegeth~
True Wind Bearer

I don't think I will buy another PS2, all I want is to play one import game, I wouldn't use it regularly, so I'm gonna stick with the swap-method. I'll just have to persuade my parents to let me buy it. :lol:
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

True Wind Bearer wrote:I don't think I will buy another PS2, all I want is to play one import game, I wouldn't use it regularly, so I'm gonna stick with the swap-method. I'll just have to persuade my parents to let me buy it. :lol:
My point exactly, if it is only for Suikoden III then swap or mod chip if that's your thing will suffice.
But if you intend to play all NTSC only released RPG games of PS1 and PS2 like Xenogears, Xenosaga and so on, it's really going to get bothersome swapping all the time, so an American PS2 would be wiser.
~Arenegeth~
True Wind Bearer

Someone please answer this, is using the slide-card difficult?
Shiryou Jin

Post by Shiryou Jin »

Does anyone know if the slide card method works with a slimline PS2 before i buy the stuff for it.
True Wind Bearer

I think there's a seperate slide-tool for it. Best bet is e-Bay, look for Slimline slide-tool or something along that line.
Damn, the only good swap magic set I can find is on eBay.co.uk and it'll cost me around $50! (There's none on my ebay.com.au... :( )
Shiryou Jin

Post by Shiryou Jin »

after a bit of search i found out yeah there is a different tool for it so i figured i'd post the name of it here for anyone with the slimline PS2 instead of the regular one, instead of searching for swap magic, search for Magic Switch, you can find out about either swap magic or magic switch, along with a list of places to buy them from here : http://www.swapmagic3.com/default.htm
True Wind Bearer

Umm, another Question from me :P
With a NTSC Suikoden III on a PAL Playstation using the Swap Method, can you carry over your Suikoden II data to Suikoden III?
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

Unfortunately I just recently found out from these threads, that you can't.
The only other feasible options would be to get and play Suikoden II on NTSC, or download a save using a Dex drive a device that transfers saves from the PC to a PS memory card, the Dex Drive can be found on ebay I suppose but not too expensive and you can download a save from Suikosource.
One other option is someone to send you a memory card with that save on, someone that has the NTSC version of the game, but if you ask me this is the harder option. I'm having the same problem and I will probably get a Dex Drive.
~Arenegeth~
True Wind Bearer

Eh...too much fuss for something so small...
Edit:Is it really necessary when using Suikoden III to insert the CD and the DVD of Swap Magic?
By the way, Swap Magic 3.6 is out, but I'm gonna stick with 3.3.
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

True Wind Bearer wrote:Eh...too much fuss for something so small...
Edit:Is it really necessary when using Suikoden III to insert the CD and the DVD of Swap Magic?
By the way, Swap Magic 3.6 is out, but I'm gonna stick with 3.3.
Not if you're a perfectionist like me. :wink:

But yes is too much trouble for such a small thing.
~Arenegeth~
True Wind Bearer

Grrr...my parents don't want me to waste my money, they say that it may not work and then I'll be "stuffed".
Can someone please tell me the things that can go wrong for reassurance? Also, a % of success would be nice :P