I don't get the choice to recruit Helmut

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
gildedtalon

I don't get the choice to recruit Helmut

Post by gildedtalon »

This playthrough is useless now :oops:

Can anyone upload your 108 characters Suikoden 4 savefile?
I want it for Suikoden Tactics. For some reason, I don't get a choice to recruit Helmut, my team automatically proceeds to execute him :(
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
gildedtalon

Re: I don't get the choice to recruit Helmut

Post by gildedtalon »

Figured out the solution, forgive in 10 confessions is enough

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/918886-s ... v/71073173
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

wow that's something we need to update!
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

KFCrispy wrote:wow that's something we need to update!
That's odd :? ? I thought that it had become common knowledge that the punishment mini-game had some influence on whether you could even get a choice to forgive characters.

That said, it does make sense, though. From the view of gameplay/story integration and given that the Rune of Punishment has both a punishment phase and a forgiveness phase, if you can't forgive your closest comrades, a. why waste time forgive those whom you don't even know?, and b. how can the Rune be convinced to change it's phase if you won't forgive others?
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Um ... I don't ever use the confession minigame and I have no problems recruiting either.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

wataru14 wrote:Um ... I don't ever use the confession minigame and I have no problems recruiting either.
That's probably the reason you did have an problems. I did do the confession mini-game, but I was always kind to the accused. Also, I was always kind all game long because I followed the English Strategy Guide. So, when I heard people don't even get a choice not to kill, I was just as surprised myself.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I've recruited Helmut without doing any confessions. So, do decisions you make throughout the game affect it as well?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

HolyPaladin wrote:
KFCrispy wrote:wow that's something we need to update!
That's odd :? ? I thought that it had become common knowledge that the punishment mini-game had some influence on whether you could even get a choice to forgive characters.

That said, it does make sense, though. From the view of gameplay/story integration and given that the Rune of Punishment has both a punishment phase and a forgiveness phase, if you can't forgive your closest comrades, a. why waste time forgive those whom you don't even know?, and b. how can the Rune be convinced to change it's phase if you won't forgive others?
This topic is the first time I ever heard of it and I completed the game about 5 times or so. I don't use the confession room until much later in the game, normally. I tend to use nice choices, though, but it's certainly interesting to see that this game features "Forgiveness Points" or something like that.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I think what screwed it up for me is the fact that I shot at Cray Trading Company who tried to escape after we defeated them in battle
You know, that event at Obel where they are capturing mermaids, and then Dario showed up to accuse us of doing it but then Kika, Hervey, and Sigurd arrived with another ship to defend us :wink:
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

It's possible there are kindness points in effect for this game too, similar with S5.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

gildedtalon wrote:I think what screwed it up for me is the fact that I shot at Cray Trading Company who tried to escape after we defeated them in battle
You know, that event at Obel where they are capturing mermaids, and then Dario showed up to accuse us of doing it but then Kika, Hervey, and Sigurd arrived with another ship to defend us :wink:
I did that in my current run - I'm shortly before Razril, so I will report what happens with Helmut. ;)
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

If you still haven't finished the Fog Ship, try escaping without finishing the events and see if you can find the Fog Ship on the map. I wonder if my recently discovered strategy works
s21

Post by s21 »

this issue also previously happened to me when recruiting snowe

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 30&t=13398
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it's unfortunate the "Forgiveness Level" doesn't seem to have much of an effect on the game. they could have made a branching story around mid or late game (mid would be way better) that changes the cast of characters you can recruit and goals you ultimately take on... like living a pirate's life, arrr! i can totally imagine the canon route being the "Forgiveness" path and a badass pirate route called the "Punishment" path :3.... man we need a remake! with 6 character parties, thanks...
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

gildedtalon wrote:I think what screwed it up for me is the fact that I shot at Cray Trading Company who tried to escape after we defeated them in battle
I've blown those bastards away every time I've ever played the game and I have never had an issue recruiting Helmut.