How well does this game handle sequence breaking?

Ask any questions about the gameplay system within the Island Nation Wars here.
bookwormbabe29

How well does this game handle sequence breaking?

Post by bookwormbabe29 »

So it's my first time playing this game, and I'm enjoying the open feel of sailing around on my boat, even if it's just from Razil to Middleport now. I was wondering though, if I decided to sail to (looks at map) a donut island, or Obel, what would happen? Does the game stop you from going so far out, or could you get high exp/cash and/or better items from visiting places you're not supposed to be in yet? The game seems (to me) to be begging you to try and sequence break, so I'm wondering if it's been tried, what works, etc. As a first time player, I'm tempted to get to other places to see if it works, but don't want to start (and especially ruin) any scripted moments. Any thoughts?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: How well does this game handle sequence breaking?

Post by wataru14 »

The game puts invisible walls in the sea at certain points in the game to keep you from going places you're not supposed to. You really cannot sequence break in this one.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

It's not even invisible walls - the game just turns your ship int he other direction without any explanation.

There's imo only one scene at Obel that you can break - if you have too few characters recruited, it will skip a cutscene.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I don't think you can sale "any where you like" until you establish the headquarters. If it's your first time playing S4, you're better off sticking to the storyline locations. If you try to go off course, then the constant random battles will end up frustrating you.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

is it possible to go through those invisible walls by using some code? :?:
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

There really isn't much benefit to trying. The super powerful random encounters only appear after certain plot points, so sailing to Deserted Island early in the game is not going to bring out the Metal Crabs until certain game events have passed. Most random encounters are close in level anyway (23 to about 40) no matter where they are so you can't even hyper-level by going into a late-game area and killing things. After a certain point you need the Training Hall to grind in any reasonable amount of time.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

You can try to sail to mainland Gaien.

I wish.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

One of the most frustrating aspects of S4 is how empty the map is. There are very very VERY few islands to explore anyway. So don't bother, really.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:One of the most frustrating aspects of S4 is how empty the map is. There are very very VERY few islands to explore anyway. So don't bother, really.

Yeah but they're not that tiny. but half of them aren't livng islands but they are used mostly for treasure or battles (Donut,Desert,Helenor's Hermitage,Illuya,Mondo (semi-living actually),and those 2 islands which are just for treasure hunting). 7 at total.

And the living islands are: Obel,Razril,Nay,Na-Nal,Middleport and Pirate's Nest.

Only 6.

wataru14 wrote:There really isn't much benefit to trying. The super powerful random encounters only appear after certain plot points, so sailing to Deserted Island early in the game is not going to bring out the Metal Crabs until certain game events have passed. Most random encounters are close in level anyway (23 to about 40) no matter where they are so you can't even hyper-level by going into a late-game area and killing things. After a certain point you need the Training Hall to grind in any reasonable amount of time.

Actually i wanted to ask if you can reach to Illuya when you were asigned to go there,without triggering the scene with Brandeu
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I think you can only visit Illuya once you've got the HQ. I hope the OP doesn't mind all these spoilers...
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Sasarai10 wrote:Actually i wanted to ask if you can reach to Illuya when you were asigned to go there,without triggering the scene with Brandeu
Nope.
bookwormbabe29

Post by bookwormbabe29 »

Huh, thought I replied to this, but must have messed up...

Anywho, thanks for the replies! I did try sailing around a bit (soooo sloooow) and saw the 'forced turn' of the ship. (hardly a spoiler, but just in case) I have the mobile ship now, so I'm past the part with Iluya. Nothing's been spoiled for me, though I appreciate the concern, sticky-runes ;)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

You do know the R1 button speeds the ship up slightly, right? a lot of people don't get this. Sailing's a bit more pleasant with the champion rune.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the most important sailings secrets are the R1 button for faster movement and using the map to turn the ship in the right direction instead of struggling with the actual sailing. the map navigation causes your ship to turn instantly (and stop instantly, i think) rather than trying to circle around, which is really helpful when trying to sail into a port with a lot of land/invisible edges that push you around, and setting the course to go straight to another island (with R1) makes it simple.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I still think they should have made Gaien accessible.