Spoilers throughout the site

Point out errors and hear of new features at http://www.suikosource.com
RoBDaWG

Spoilers throughout the site

Post by RoBDaWG »

I'm currently playing Suikoden 1 with plans to play through the entire series. I've never played any of them besides the first one before.

I've noticed there are a lot of spoilers just blatantly in your face.

For example, on the Recruitment Guide for Suikoden 1, right under some of the characters is the world SPOILER in bold print along with the spoiler.

Something like this should really be hidden, perhaps the text being the same color as the background so one would have to highlight it to read. It really stinks when you're playing for the first time and have something like a main character's death ruined for you.

I'm not sure if there are spoilers like this located in other areas of the site, but I'm assuming there are some in the Recruitment Guides for the other games, which I'm avoiding looking at for now.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Spoilers throughout the site

Post by Sasarai10 »

My opinion is,when you play a game for the first time,don't check any guides. If you have played it before ok,but don't check any guides for the other games. all magic will be lost,trust me :)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I agree with sasarai. If you really want everything to be fresh and unspoiled on your first play, don't use any kind of guide. The whole purpose of video game guides and walkthroughs is to tell you where and when to find things, and that means describing places you're going to visit and events that are going to happen. If you want to get everything exactly right without making any mistakes on your first try, then that means you've opted to have the story spoiled for you.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

sticky-runes wrote:I agree with sasarai. If you really want everything to be fresh and unspoiled on your first play, don't use any kind of guide. The whole purpose of video game guides and walkthroughs is to tell you where and when to find things, and that means describing places you're going to visit and events that are going to happen. If you want to get everything exactly right without making any mistakes on your first try, then that means you've opted to have the story spoiled for you.
No, you don't. I agree with RoBDaWG. Only because you use a good doesn't mean that you may not enjoy the story to its fullest. Of course seeing that some characters will join your army are spoilers in itself and you cannot avoid them.

But imagine if you want to know how to recruit Antonio and then see spoilers for Pahn and Gremio, that's taking a lot of fun out of it...
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

@Antimatzist If you are REALLY stuck at some point and you want so bad to proceed then yes,you can use a guide. Otherwise definetely not,if you are playing the game for the first time. It's just like watching a series on TV. It would be nicer to see by yourself what will happen next,right?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Sasarai10 wrote:@Antimatzist If you are REALLY stuck at some point and you want so bad to proceed then yes,you can use a guide. Otherwise definetely not,if you are playing the game for the first time. It's just like watching a series on TV. It would be nicer to see by yourself what will happen next,right?
But a gameplay guide is a gameplay guide, it's not meant to tell people how they should enjoy their games. And I don't really know why we're discussing that right now?

I used a recruitment guide the first time I played IV and enjoyed the game.

Long before I modded my PS2 and could play III I saw recruitment guides on III and the game was totally spoiled for me, this could have been easily avoided by hiding the spoiler.

Also, there are some games that I'm sure I'll NEVER touch again even if I enjoyed them a lot. The Arc the Lad series is a perfect example. I don't want to miss missable items, so I use a guide and I can still enjoy the game. But if the guide was written like "Magic Sword of Power - Can be found in the battle where you find out that the leader of the enemies is your SPOILER father" it would destroy the fun (don't worry, that's not a spoiler for any of the above mentioned games).

Perfect Manowar quote for this "Nobody tells a Man how to play".
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

ok whatever....personally i prefer to play a game without a guide,so i can avoid spoilers :|
You'll get a greater joy if you discover an item by yourself,instead by finding it via a guide
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Personally, being the total OCD freak that I am means that when a Suikoden game came out, I KNEW there were gonna be 108 people to recruit and I ALSO knew that I was never gonna get them all on my first play-through without A) Being uber-thorough and have to revisit EVERY town, dungeon and back alley every time I progressed a bit on the storyline, or B)Use a guide.
And although it played merry havoc with my OCD I knew that if I wanted to play the game to it's fullest then I had to, first, play it by myself. And once completed, go back and do another run through with a guide so I was assured of getting everyone and everything. Suikoden is 1 of those games that you can do this with, especially considering there's more than 1 ending.
I know it's a shame that there can't be a guide with no spoilers in but I gotta agree with Sasarai and sticky. If you use a guide, then you have to be prepared to find out details of the game you may not want to know.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I know it's a shame that there can't be a guide with no spoilers in but I gotta agree with Sasarai and sticky. If you use a guide, then you have to be prepared to find out details of the game you may not want to know.
But the spoilers mentioned can be easily avoided by making them the same colour as the background. Then there needs to be "SPOILER (mark to read)" and at least these spoilers go away.

There are also spoiler-free walkthroughs of games, so I don't see why the recruitment list needs to be "spoiler-heavy".
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Perhaps some of the spoilers could be written in white, or else listed separately at the bottom of the page, so that the recruitment guide is purely a recruitment guide (explaining where and how we get them for the first time), and all the spoilers are tucked away down the bottom where they are easier to avoid, and they could put asterisks * next to the characters who leave/die/come back to life during the main storyline, so you can refer to the extra comments later on if you want to. Something to consider.

But it's up to the admins, really. Bear in mind that there probably hasn't been a high demand for editing spoilers on this site, as these games are quite old, and the info is primarily for people who are already familiar with the games and just want to get additional info on stuff they've missed or forgotten.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Jocky wrote:Personally, being the total OCD freak that I am means that when a Suikoden game came out, I KNEW there were gonna be 108 people to recruit and I ALSO knew that I was never gonna get them all on my first play-through
:lol: really?

I managed to have all 108 stars in my 1st playthrough in S3 without a guide...i was really lucky to find the spot where you can get Landis :|