What Has Yoshitaka Murayama Been Up to?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Jocky

Re: What Has Yoshitaka Murayama Been Up to?

Post by Jocky »

Arrrrrgggg! Don't say that!! He really has to help make another main Suikoden game before he does!! Or at least pass down his knowledge to a successor so that they can do it for him!! :P But before I start panicking, we'll just assume that he forgot to pay November's server bill.....
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Maybe that means he joined Konami again and closed his own studio *dreamdreamdream*

Let's just wait and see if anything happens. I think we have a Murayama contact at the SRM, but I'm not sure if we could reach him.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

There has been rumors in the last month that Blue Moon Studio filed for bankruptcy... so perhaps this is just one evidence that this is true...
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Mh, now the site is back or is it just me?
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

No, the site is INDEED back up and running! I guess it must have been server issues after all! But there have been no updates to it since 11/2/2012. So they haven't given any indication of what they have been up to in 1 year and 9 months. And we know they were finished with Magic the Gathering so what have they been up to all this time?! Does anyone want to hazard a guess? Or does someone from the SRM want to drop their Murayama contact an e-mail to see if he would give us any idea of what to expect from either himself or the Blue Moon studio over the next year? It would be lovely to think they have been so hush hush these past 2 years because they've been working on Super-Secret-Ultra-Awesome-Suikoden-6-Turbo!!!

*sigh. I can dream, cant I.....
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Jocky wrote:So they haven't given any indication of what they have been up to in 1 year and 9 months. And we know they were finished with Magic the Gathering so what have they been up to all this time?! Does anyone want to hazard a guess? Or does someone from the SRM want to drop their Murayama contact an e-mail to see if he would give us any idea of what to expect from either himself or the Blue Moon studio over the next year?
That's an excellent question, Murayama's writing contract for the Magic manga ended well over a year ago. I really have to wonder what he's been up to since.

Also, our Murayama contact is not directly affiliated with Blue Moon. He's a Japanese games journalist who had previously conducted an interview with him. Reaching out to the contact is likely something we'll get on once Operation Blinking Mirror has passed.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Ahh, I understand. I am looking forward to Operation Blinking Mirror! I too will be helping out as best I can by sending Konami some fan art, a picture of all the Suikoden goodies I own and a couple of stories I have written about stories of what happened to a few characters after the end of SV but before SII, including Viktor & Flik (possibly) meeting for the first time, Ernst, Norma & Levi journeying to find a way to remove Ernst's Rune, the Maximillian knights on a quest and finally some of the members of the Howling Voice Guild on a mission. I love Suikoden and I want Konami to know just how much the Suikoden Universe means to me!
As for Murayama, here's hoping that we can get a few words from him around the christmas period! I for 1 would be willing to forgo any presents this year for just a few words from either himself or Konami that the Suikoden franchise is not dead and that they have something in the works! (a main title, not another spin off like teirkris!) Thank you for all the hard work you guys at the SRM are doing! You have my backing 100%.
ItsDaveyJ

Post by ItsDaveyJ »

Maybe I have a severe lack of understanding for how video game business works but...

If Murayama wants to be freelance... why doesn't Konami just hire him as a freelance writer? That way he doesn't have to join the company but we can get quality assurance in terms of story for the series. He had such an epic scope and vision for this series that it really needed him to guide the series to fit his vision. Hopping around between different writers was part of the problem because then the games lacked that feeling of "I can tell that we are building up to something. The 'big picture' that the creator has in store."

Of course if the game was a mess mechanically it wouldn't do well but I think most people are willing to forgive some mechanics in order to get an amazing story.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

ItsDaveyJ wrote:If Murayama wants to be freelance... why doesn't Konami just hire him as a freelance writer? That way he doesn't have to join the company but we can get quality assurance in terms of story for the series.
That's another excellent question, one that I've been wondering about for years.

On one hand, it could be for bureaucratic reasons within Konami for hiring freelance writers. It could also be that Murayama wanted go cold turkey from Suikoden while he did his own thing. It wasn't until an interview a couple of years ago that he stated he'd seriously consider coming back if offered, but the damage has probably already been done to the series and it would likely require a reboot. Additionally, the Console JRPG genre is currently kicking and screaming to stay alive. Very few franchises (like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tales, and Persona) have enough loyal followers to keep going.

Let's also not forget that Konami itself isn't doing so hot either. If you look at their pipeline, they only have two games coming out next year: Metal Gear Solid V and Castlevania: Lord of Shadows 2. That's right, just those two. They didn't even have a booth in the main floor of TGS this year; their only presence was at the event's Mobile & Social Gaming section.
ItsDaveyJ

Post by ItsDaveyJ »

Xelinis wrote:
ItsDaveyJ wrote:If Murayama wants to be freelance... why doesn't Konami just hire him as a freelance writer? That way he doesn't have to join the company but we can get quality assurance in terms of story for the series.
That's another excellent question, one that I've been wondering about for years.

On one hand, it could be for bureaucratic reasons within Konami for hiring freelance writers. It could also be that Murayama wanted go cold turkey from Suikoden while he did his own thing. It wasn't until an interview a couple of years ago that he stated he'd seriously consider coming back if offered, but the damage has probably already been done to the series and it would likely require a reboot. Additionally, the Console JRPG genre is currently kicking and screaming to stay alive. Very few franchises (like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tales, and Persona) have enough loyal followers to keep going.

Let's also not forget that Konami itself isn't doing so hot either. If you look at their pipeline, they only have two games coming out next year: Metal Gear Solid V and Castlevania: Lord of Shadows 2. That's right, just those two. They didn't even have a booth in the main floor of TGS this year; their only presence was at the event's Mobile & Social Gaming section.
Yeah things are looking grim. But I'm the type of guy who thinks that the "in-genres" come and go in waves. JRPGs were big back in the day, and now western RPGs are more dominant... but I think eventually the tide will shift back and for a time JRPGs will be appreciated more. It's what good old fashioned competition does. I mean look at PS4 and Xbox One... it looks like PS4 will be dominant at first this generation but last generation PS3 had to play catch-up. As long as they can learn from their mistakes then they will be fine.

But that is partially why I am aggravated that the past few Suikoden games have seemed to cater so much to the "typical" Japanese RPG audience. Maybe that will help domestic sales... but if you want to keep yourself afloat you need to appeal to the worldwide market. S1-S3 I think had the right mixture of east and west to be successful. Shame that they changed the formula.

Side note: I would LOVE a reboot actually. Preferably with Murayama at the helm... but if not then it needs to be directed by ONE person for as long as they can make games. Unlike Final Fantasy... Suikoden has such an involved history and everything is tied together. It really needs the vision of ONE person to guide it along. I've always felt very strongly about that with this series. If you take a look at S1-S3... it was very focused and deliberate with its story telling. I think you can only get that when you are following one person's vision.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

ItsDaveyJ wrote: Side note: I would LOVE a reboot actually. Preferably with Murayama at the helm... but if not then it needs to be directed by ONE person for as long as they can make games. Unlike Final Fantasy... Suikoden has such an involved history and everything is tied together. It really needs the vision of ONE person to guide it along. I've always felt very strongly about that with this series. If you take a look at S1-S3... it was very focused and deliberate with its story telling. I think you can only get that when you are following one person's vision.
1 man's vision for the story is a must in my eyes as well! Murayama had this with 1 and 2. I wasn't fond of the Trinity system in 3 and 4 was lacklustre, but 5 felt like a breath of fresh air again!! But Konami does seem to be falling behind in the computer games market, or maybe I should say pulling out. I noticed from their sites that Konami has been leaning more and more towards their Slot Machine side of the business. I can understand that in a business sense because they are great money makers. But does this mean that there will be less and less titles from them in the gaming market and if so does that mean we've lost hope of ever seeing another Suikoden game again?!
Best case scenario, Murayama and his team take on/buy the Suikoden franchise and let loose their imaginations. Because otherwise it looks like things are becoming grim..... :(
Shasarazawoowoo

Post by Shasarazawoowoo »

I think if Kid Icarus and Starcraft can experience revival, so can Suikoden. It just may be a while. I'd also add SimCity, but THAT was quite the clusterfuck. (Still, had it been HANDLED well, I think it could also count.) Even Yoshi's getting new games soon to try and get him back on his feet. Revivals can happen. They just take time, need demand and good ideas... and good execution.

I think the first two games could stand a reboot to polish up the gameplay and writing. III needs a translation overhaul, but I think otherwise, it does what it MEANS to do, I just don't think certain gameplay and musical aspects were done the best they could've been. IV could also get a big gameplay/story overhaul, but graphically, it was fine. I dunno if I'd want reboots or SVI first... well, I guess reboots, to re-establish interest. Maybe even a series name change just to make it more accessible. I know, Suikoden IS a pretty good name, but you wanna market to people who might find foreign names, names they may not know how to pronounce, a little intimidating. I hate suggesting it, but it COULD help, although Suikoden DOES make the series unique and project its own image. Stars of Destiny or 108 Gathering or Rune Wars or something might make the series more appealing to potential new fans, I'd think. Marketing, appeal, promotion, these things definitely merit consideration.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Xelinis wrote:

But the genre is definitely still there. We saw the release of SMT IV, a new Etrian Odissey, and Bravely Default is as oldschool-FF as you can get. And even the Tales of series just "recently" became that popular, at least from my observation. But only because Namco is really pushing it, an action, that we'll never see from Konami.

And yeah, Konami is doing "badly". They're still earning profits, but these are getting a lot lower. I doubt that MGS and Castlevania can do anything against that, at least on the long term. I don't know what they're planning, but they definitely don't look like a gaming company atm.
ItsDaveyJ

Post by ItsDaveyJ »

Konami should just merge their video game department with another company :p

Square Enix Eidos Konami. SEEK.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

ItsDaveyJ wrote:Konami should just merge their video game department with another company :p

Square Enix Eidos Konami. SEEK.
Because SE is a real reliable video game publisher that doesn't try to milk its series :P

I don't even know what a good publisher/developer would be. Atlus?