What Has Yoshitaka Murayama Been Up to?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Xelinis

Re: What Has Yoshitaka Murayama Been Up to?

Post by Xelinis »

Antimatzist wrote:
ItsDaveyJ wrote:Konami should just merge their video game department with another company :p

Square Enix Eidos Konami. SEEK.
Because SE is a real reliable video game publisher that doesn't try to milk its series :P

I don't even know what a good publisher/developer would be. Atlus?
Don't forget that Atlus is owned by Sega now.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Eeeeeek. No not Sega!! :lol:
Surely Murayama and the Blue Moon studio is more than capable of creating a new Suikoden game with the staff they have!! Maybe not financially, but they definitely have the talent and manpower, no?! If the Suikoden franchise was released back to the original creator, and with a cash injection from somewhere/someone (HELL if Murayama made a Kickstarter project saying fund me for Suikoden 6, I'd be happy to give him a few hundred quid, if not more and if everyone here, and at the SRM, did the same he could have enough backing in NO time!!) then Konami makes a bit of money off a series their never gonna contribute to again, Blue Moon Studio gets a MAJOR publicity boost for making the next EPIC RPG on the market and makes a fortune in revenues which funds the next 6 Suikoden titles, and all us Suikoden fans would be happy as well!! Win win for everyone if you ask me!! Now, lets get some e-mail addresses and see if we can't get this ball rolling somehow!! :D
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Pretty sure that Blue Moon Studio is just Murayama at this point. Maybe a secretary as well, but I doubt it.

Also, an 'epic console RPG' nowadays takes upwards of $20,000,000.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Xelinis wrote:
Antimatzist wrote:
ItsDaveyJ wrote:Konami should just merge their video game department with another company :p

Because SE is a real reliable video game publisher that doesn't try to milk its series :P

Don't forget that Atlus is owned by Sega now.
Which doesn't mean that much now. We'll have to see if Sega is trying to be involved in Atlus' affaires or not.
Xelinis wrote:Pretty sure that Blue Moon Studio is just Murayama at this point. Maybe a secretary as well, but I doubt it.

Also, an 'epic console RPG' nowadays takes upwards of $20,000,000.
They should have done a PS3-Suikoden now. There are still some RPGs coming for the console (Kingdom Hearts HD remakes, FF X remake, some Tales of titles) and Suikoden would have fit perfectly there. Now we either have to wait for a console Suikoden for several years or maybe get a handheld Suikoden.. again. I wouldn't mind a 3DS Suikoden when it's getting more back to the roots, but I doubt we'll see that.

Do you by any chance have the production costs for Wii U games? Are they in the range of PS3 games or higher?
ItsDaveyJ

Post by ItsDaveyJ »

I would really prefer for them to at least put Suikoden 1-5 or even just 1-3 on PSN. If you aren't going to make a sequel... at least let me enjoy the old games! Even better would be if they added New Game + to S1-S3 for us to play with. Shouldn't be that difficult to do.
Antimatzist wrote:

I know I was just making a joke about them acquiring so many companies.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Suikoden would be an EPIC with a quarter of that budget, as long as they got the right staff! I didn't realize that Blue Moon was just Murayama himself. I thought it was him and a bunch of modellers, engineers, etc... enough to be consulted, or given maybe not a whole game, but at least a section of it to do, like they did with Magic the Gathering?!
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Jocky wrote:Suikoden would be an EPIC with a quarter of that budget, as long as they got the right staff! I didn't realize that Blue Moon was just Murayama himself. I thought it was him and a bunch of modellers, engineers, etc... enough to be consulted, or given maybe not a whole game, but at least a section of it to do, like they did with Magic the Gathering?!
Given Blue Moon Studios has only done one game in 8 years, it is safe to assume that Murayama is alone and only hires people for his "projects".
MasamuneDate

Post by MasamuneDate »

I've got a theory on why the Suikoden series is currently on hiatus. Murayama said on January 2010, that a "certain company" (likely Konami) asked him to join them. Following the release of "Suikoden Tierkreis" (a game apart from the main series) on 2008, Konami most likely thought on employing him to continue with the Suikoden main series, since they couldn't develop anymore on the plot without him. For some reason, Murayama declined the offer, and Konami released "Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki" on 2012, a game which didn't share the same world of the main series. Since then, we had no news whatsoever regarding the future of the series, but at the same time nobody knows Murayama's whereabouts also, giving space to speculation. As far as anyone knows, Murayama could even be working on a new Suikoden title at Konami.

Anyway, only time will tell.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

^ Well, the just officially said on their Facebook(?) (not sure where I heard it), that Konami is not working on a new Suikoden Title. But now that's it's already 2014, who knows. I'm actually eager for some positive news right now.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

bluemask wrote:^ Well, the just officially said on their Facebook(?) (not sure where I heard it), that Konami is not working on a new Suikoden Title. But now that's it's already 2014, who knows. I'm actually eager for some positive news right now.
Nope, all they said was that they had no news to share at that time. That means nothing in regards to whether or not they've actually working on something behind the scenes.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I don't think they should be making a new suikoden game actually. It would only end up like Final Fantasy being overstretched and bastardized. They didn't do a good job with the last ones anyway.

What they should do is a new kind of game with the same feeling. Something new that recaptures the pleasure we had when we first discovered suikoden. Potentially made by the same people, but something new.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I don't think they should be making a new suikoden game actually. It would only end up like Final Fantasy being overstretched and bastardized. They didn't do a good job with the last ones anyway.

What they should do is a new kind of game with the same feeling. Something new that recaptures the pleasure we had when we first discovered suikoden. Potentially made by the same people, but something new.
FOX. ENGINE. XD
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

What? What? What's this thing? Tell me more!
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

KFCrispy wrote:
BrucePrintscreen wrote:I don't think they should be making a new suikoden game actually. It would only end up like Final Fantasy being overstretched and bastardized. They didn't do a good job with the last ones anyway.

FOX. ENGINE. XD
Well MGS Ground Zeroes certainly looked and played fantastic. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the idea. Not that Konami cares what I think, mind you.