Get a Life!

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Get a Life!

Post by dragonmasterx »

For those of you that play games all the time, has anyone ever told you "get a life"? How do you respond to that?

I think they're full of **** when they say that. How is playing video games all the time not a life? Video games ARE my life. It's what I enjoy doing, and I also learn Japanese from games(I play Japanese rpgs and visual novels mainly). Is it more of a "life" to be spending free time by going out often with friends, significant others and/or going to parties to dance, get drunk, and sleep with strangers every night? I generally find that stuff boring in comparison to games, so why should I have to do that in order to "have a life"?

However, I do feel that it's important to take breaks from games, and exercise often, to stave off health problems, especially chronic pain like tendonitis, eye strain, carpal tunnel syndrome, herniated discs, etc.
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

the whole term "get a life" goes in hand with what is usually considered socially normal. if you can get over what's socially normal, things like that probably won't bother you.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Well, if someone has nothing but video games. Like no friends, job, school etc etc. And there are some people like that. Then they do definatly need all that stuff. Because that just seems unhealthy.

But if you have friends. And have a healthy normal lifestyle. But just love to play video games or love to read comics etc etc. Then that is a perfectly fine life that you have.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Lurker1

Post by Lurker1 »

GET A LIFE jk :P

I have had people say that to me on boards like this one and in real life and to be honest it has never bothered me and never will. I don't care what people think of me. I am very independent person and I enjoy doing what I enjoy doing with or without others and they can think what they and say what they like.

I do think it is good for a person to socialize with others through but you can do that while playing games it called a LAN Party

EDIT: Plus you always have to consider the source when someone makes a comment like that most of them are well :roll: you know.
Joveeno

Post by Joveeno »

Hm...people who said "Get a life" probably never had a video game on their days...I bet they had a dark and gloomy childhood...LOL

Then why don't they say "Get a life" to a tester or game programmer? They play games and they get paid for it...

I don't mind they think negatively about gamers, but should they tell me to "Get a life" I'll response them with "Like yours better than mine..."
Karena wanita ingin dimengerti
Lewat tutur lembut dan laku agung
Karena wanita ingin dimengerti
Manjakan dia dengan kasih sayang

ADA Band - Karena Wanita (Ingin Dimengerti)
Didedikasikan untuk seluruh wanita di dunia...
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

Lurker1 wrote: to be honest it has never bothered me and never will. I don't care what people think of me. I am very independent person and I enjoy doing what I enjoy doing with or without others and they can think what they and say what they like.
you took the words right out of my mouth.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

As long as video games aren't your entire life, and you have friends and exercise and a job, etc... and you don't live in a fantasy world. I'm a hardcore gamer but I also work 40 hours a week and maintain an extremely healthy social life.
Purr.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

I notice the same chavs who think that people who like RPG games, watching anime and reading graphic novels have no lives also get hugely excited whenever a new GTA or FIFA game is released. Surely just because the other game genres are considered more mainstream and "cool" it doesn't mean that they're not "having no life" likewise. At least RPG games, animes and graphic novels have compelling stories and emotion in them full of love, war and heartbreaking betrayal. Where are such things in FIFA games? Well maybe when a player signs for another club that is seen as betrayal, but then again it is "only a game" so if they get pissed off that their favourite player decides to leave for another club with the Bosman ruling, then tough shoot. The same goes to GTA chavs who get pissed off when a gang member turns against them, oh and are they that naive to think that all gangs are lovey dovey units who wouldn't ever do one over on a friend for some prestige?

It honestly makes me sick to hear the chavs at college talking about their FIFA and GTA games and talking loudly as they play them on their PSP's. What life do they have? Sure the PSP needs other people to be there socially, but does that mean they have more of a life playing games because others are there? They're probably so ignorant that they don't think that maybe RPG gamers like to play RPGs with their friends having a certain amount of time each on the game then swapping who's in control of the game pad, or is the fact that somebody who doesn't like mainstream gaming too much for them to comprehend?

I also enjoy working out at the gym and boxing training at home, but computer games are just as important as exercise, they're both fun and when you're finished in a game you get the same proud rush as when you've completed a work out.

Obviously I have friends, but does the fact that we'll rather talk to each other online on MSN messenger make us "geeks with no life"? Surely its better to still have friends from offline who you can still talk to online right? I find it impossible to comprehend how drunkern parties, drunkern sex and the chav culture of fighting for fun is superior to going online talking to friends. At least its doing something productive, and sometimes a talk with a dear friend can make all the difference when you've had a shoot day. But chavs on the other hand will never have a good friend since all friends are the same, they're generic drunks who act anti-social "for a buzz", lets see how many friends will be "up for the buzz" once the monosyllabic bastards appear in court and have to testify their actions in court. I bet they hardly have a fully functional brain between them!

It is still possible to have parties for special occassions and we can celebrate, but there's a difference between getting completely wasted out your face and having a true, wonderful and happy experience with friends in the spirit of celebration, they may party, but chavs never celebrate, its too much of a genuine emotion for their materialistic minds to comprehend.

Yesterday me and 2 friends had a few social drinks before we went to the cinema together, but we weren't so past it that we were a danger to ourselves or each other. There's nothing wrong with drinking responsibly, but when people drink "because its cool" then they are the morally and socially inferior ones with "no lives".
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Come on, now, don't diss getting completely WASTED OUT OF YOUR FACE. I love to party and have a good time with my friends. All of the best nights of my life have been with all of them there.

I think it's just as important to hang out with people in real life as it is to talk to them over the internet, to be honest. That physical human interaction is extremely important when it comes to development and just... life in general. I think it's also important to work and I hate it when people don't, and all they do is sit on their butt and play games or veg at the computer. The ones who completely neglect society and their duties to it and become completely wrapped up in their little online world... I think they DO need lives.
Purr.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

About socializing, there are people, called introverts, who feel drained from socializing; while extroverts are energized by socializing. I think I might be an introvert. Here's a good article on introverts
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

Since we had moved to Florida for a long time, I had gone from extro to intro, not by choice, just because there was no one around that was into the same things I was anymore and we had no woods in our backyard.... but yeah, I've been introvert and will probably always remain so.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Pollensalta wrote: I think it's also important to work and I hate it when people don't, and all they do is sit on their butt and play games or veg at the computer. The ones who completely neglect society and their duties to it and become completely wrapped up in their little online world... I think they DO need lives.
I can see both sides of this coin, but what exactly do one's duties to society entail and who laid those ground rules? Are we not free to do as we will: play games all day, drink all day, etcetera... ? or is someone else dictating our lives and what we should do.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Waylander wrote:
Pollensalta wrote: I think it's also important to work and I hate it when people don't, and all they do is sit on their butt and play games or veg at the computer. The ones who completely neglect society and their duties to it and become completely wrapped up in their little online world... I think they DO need lives.
I can see both sides of this coin, but what exactly do one's duties to society entail and who laid those ground rules? Are we not free to do as we will: play games all day, drink all day, etcetera... ? or is someone else dictating our lives and what we should do.
It's not healthy, and people who do it are not doing anything productive to society. They are hurting themselves by not getting exercise or developing any real friendships.

Plus, it annoys me to see people who sit in their parents' basements and do that while other people work for a living. Tell me that's healthy for them to not get out once in awhile and get some sunlight, or some fresh air, or to interact with other people. That's why there are so many so-called "disorders" nowadays, that's why so many people are on medication for their "social anxiety", because they haven't taken the time to develop social skills, because they live in a fantasy world.

I play RPGs as much as the next hardcore fan. I just know how to balance myself, that's all. I usually get up, I play some games or see a movie or go online, I go to work, I go out with friends. On a day off, I might do more on the internet or more socializing. It just depends; I think I'm a very "balanced" person and that it's necessary to be healthy and happy.
Purr.
Stormfist

Post by Stormfist »

Ushiku wrote:I notice the same chavs who think that people who like RPG games, watching anime and reading graphic novels have no lives also get hugely excited whenever a new GTA or FIFA game is released. Surely just because the other game genres are considered more mainstream and "cool" it doesn't mean that they're not "having no life" likewise. At least RPG games, animes and graphic novels have compelling stories and emotion in them full of love, war and heartbreaking betrayal. Where are such things in FIFA games? Well maybe when a player signs for another club that is seen as betrayal, but then again it is "only a game" so if they get pissed off that their favourite player decides to leave for another club with the Bosman ruling, then tough shoot. The same goes to GTA chavs who get pissed off when a gang member turns against them, oh and are they that naive to think that all gangs are lovey dovey units who wouldn't ever do one over on a friend for some prestige?

It honestly makes me sick to hear the chavs at college talking about their FIFA and GTA games and talking loudly as they play them on their PSP's. What life do they have? Sure the PSP needs other people to be there socially, but does that mean they have more of a life playing games because others are there? They're probably so ignorant that they don't think that maybe RPG gamers like to play RPGs with their friends having a certain amount of time each on the game then swapping who's in control of the game pad, or is the fact that somebody who doesn't like mainstream gaming too much for them to comprehend?

I also enjoy working out at the gym and boxing training at home, but computer games are just as important as exercise, they're both fun and when you're finished in a game you get the same proud rush as when you've completed a work out.

Obviously I have friends, but does the fact that we'll rather talk to each other online on MSN messenger make us "geeks with no life"? Surely its better to still have friends from offline who you can still talk to online right? I find it impossible to comprehend how drunkern parties, drunkern sex and the chav culture of fighting for fun is superior to going online talking to friends. At least its doing something productive, and sometimes a talk with a dear friend can make all the difference when you've had a shoot day. But chavs on the other hand will never have a good friend since all friends are the same, they're generic drunks who act anti-social "for a buzz", lets see how many friends will be "up for the buzz" once the monosyllabic bastards appear in court and have to testify their actions in court. I bet they hardly have a fully functional brain between them!

It is still possible to have parties for special occassions and we can celebrate, but there's a difference between getting completely wasted out your face and having a true, wonderful and happy experience with friends in the spirit of celebration, they may party, but chavs never celebrate, its too much of a genuine emotion for their materialistic minds to comprehend.

Yesterday me and 2 friends had a few social drinks before we went to the cinema together, but we weren't so past it that we were a danger to ourselves or each other. There's nothing wrong with drinking responsibly, but when people drink "because its cool" then they are the morally and socially inferior ones with "no lives".
Oh my God, a wall of text.

What the hell are social drinks? If you drink, you drink because you want to.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Social drinking is a way to make conversation more exciting, without being drunk.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.