Your taste in music

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Belcoot4

Re: Your taste in music

Post by Belcoot4 »

311 new album June 2nd hows everybody feel about them? I love'm
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Lord Awesomeguy

Post by Lord Awesomeguy »

311=ratings! They are great. Their website had a music player on it that was pretty nifty. It was located on the home page if I recall correctly.
Coach McGuirk: "This sausage is probably eighteen years old... This sausage could vote. It could go to war and die for its country."
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I love Heavy/Speed/Thrash Metal... well, and Hardrock. And a lot of obscure japanese stuff like Rommel or Mein Kampf^^

btw, anyone who listens to metal- maybe you want to check out my band: www.myspace.com/cultofthesnake ... *cough*advertisment*cough*
Lord Awesomeguy

I spend a good 10-15 years of my life listening to metal of all forms. I still listen to a lot of the technical stuff a la Arsis, Aletheian, Cynic, etc. Death was and probably will always be my favorite band of all time.

Basically, if its metal and there is talent involved, I will likely enjoy it.
Coach McGuirk: "This sausage is probably eighteen years old... This sausage could vote. It could go to war and die for its country."
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Lord Awesomeguy wrote:I spend a good 10-15 years of my life listening to metal of all forms. I still listen to a lot of the technical stuff a la Arsis, Aletheian, Cynic, etc. Death was and probably will always be my favorite band of all time.

This guy speaks my lagnuage. You into any black metal or doom/stoner/sludge stuff?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Lemmy Claypool wrote:
Lord Awesomeguy wrote:I spend a good 10-15 years of my life listening to metal of all forms. I still listen to a lot of the technical stuff a la Arsis, Aletheian, Cynic, etc. Death was and probably will always be my favorite band of all time.

This guy speaks my lagnuage. You into any black metal or doom/stoner/sludge stuff?
Doom Metal -> I can recommend Procession (from Chile) or Reino Ermitano (from Spain). Fairly new Bands but they make great music, especially Procession.
Lord Awesomeguy

Lemmy,

I can't say I am into much of those types of music. I do enjoy bands like Type O Negative and Tristania. While those two bands may not definitively fall into the listed categories, I feel they may have some elements that tie them to certain types of metalling.

I used to be a big fan of Old Man's Child and older Extol; which I think is humourous if you consider the nature of each band..Extol being a Christian band and OMC being comprised of members of notable black metal bands (though many people don't consider Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth true black metal bands.)

I love epic/power metal bands. I'm not looking for speed so much as epic tunes that are well-composed. Tristiania did this a lot. Female vocals are also cool. I enjoy the timbre that a female vocalist adds.

Then there are bands like Dream Theater who can't seem to keep a song under ten minutes. Don't get me wrong, I think they are talented and I enjoy their music.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Yes!! 311's new album is going to be awesome. If that classifies as stoner music then I'm into that too or anything else thats a little mellow with kick ass reggae like bass.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

311's new album...? I have no hopes. Their last great album was the Blue Album. Soundsystem was good but not great, and then From Chaos on have all been let downs.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Lord Awesomeguy

311 is cool. I've never understood the two singer set-up but they make it work. (I think his name is) Nick Hexum is a good singer and a decent guitar player. I like their bass lines a lot too. They have a sound that is both unique and catchy.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Check out Zebrahead, they make the two singer thing work too, and they're phenomenal. Waste of Mind is their first album and their best. Playmate of the Year is their second album and their worst. Mother focking Zebrahead Bitch (MFZB) is their third album and really good. I forget what their fourth is called (just got it) but it's really good too.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Antimatzist wrote:
Lemmy Claypool wrote:

Doom Metal -> I can recommend Procession (from Chile) or Reino Ermitano (from Spain). Fairly new Bands but they make great music, especially Procession.
Not checked either of those bands out but I'll look into it when I get home. There's a good funeral doom band from your neck of the woods called Ahab (members and ex-members of Midnattsol, though I've never been able to get away with them) that I highly recommend.
Lord Awesomeguy wrote:Lemmy,

I can't say I am into much of those types of music. I do enjoy bands like Type O Negative and Tristania. While those two bands may not definitively fall into the listed categories, I feel they may have some elements that tie them to certain types of metalling.

I used to be a big fan of Old Man's Child and older Extol; which I think is humourous if you consider the nature of each band..Extol being a Christian band and OMC being comprised of members of notable black metal bands (though many people don't consider Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth true black metal bands.)

I love epic/power metal bands. I'm not looking for speed so much as epic tunes that are well-composed. Tristiania did this a lot. Female vocals are also cool. I enjoy the timbre that a female vocalist adds.

Then there are bands like Dream Theater who can't seem to keep a song under ten minutes. Don't get me wrong, I think they are talented and I enjoy their music.
Love Old Man's Child, though I've never really been into Dimmu and Cradle failed to be good after 'Principal...' for me. 'Phantoms of Mortem Tales' by OMC is one of my favourite black metal riffs of all time.

As I've never really been a fan of the whole epic/power metal thing I'm not really that up on it so can't say I've heard Tristania before (or at least never realised if I have lol). However Type O do have kind of a doom-y sound. Moreso like Gothic doom style bands in the vein of Katatonia, My Dying Bride, etc. (again, not really that big on this style though).

Dream Theater are always good for the odd listen though :D
Belcoot4 wrote:Yes!! 311's new album is going to be awesome. If that classifies as stoner music then I'm into that too or anything else thats a little mellow with kick ass reggae like bass.
I guess if there's something of a reggae influence in there it could be considered somewhat stoner, aye. But when people refer to stoner rock they generally mean a specific genre of music. Bands like Kyuss, Queens Of The Stone Age, Unida, Sixty Watt Shaman, Slo Burn, Karma To Burn, Down, Clutch, Hermano, etc. (I could go on for too long here XD)
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Not checked either of those bands out but I'll look into it when I get home. There's a good funeral doom band from your neck of the woods called Ahab (members and ex-members of Midnattsol, though I've never been able to get away with them) that I highly recommend.
I know Ahab, but some friends of me saw them a year ago or so and said they were boring. I haven't heard one of their songs yet, but I think it's hard to make good Doom Metal without sounding too lame... especially for me, who likes faster music. But if the groove's right I enjoy every music.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Ahab may not be to your tastes then, average song length is about 10 minutes and the riffs are sloooooooooow.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Lemmy Claypool wrote:Ahab may not be to your tastes then, average song length is about 10 minutes and the riffs are sloooooooooow.
Slow isn't necessary bad, if they keep the song's interesting... I wa snever really interested in Doom (or even Drone) Metal, but after I played a Gig with Procession and Reino Ermitano with my band, I really liked it. I guess I should start to listen more of that stuff^^