PSN for PS3 and PSP shutting down

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Re: PSN for PS3 and PSP shutting down

Post by sticky-runes »

what's La Pucelle Tactics like?

I've heard lots of good things about Chrono Trigger, but I'm reluctant to play it because of the DBZ art style.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, it is not really a DBZ art style, so much as actually hiring Akira Toriyama, the author of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z to do the artwork for the game. lol. But it is truly one of the best games on the SNES, up there with Super Metroid and Link to the Past, and if you don't like the art style, fine, but, it is worth a shot in my opinion anyhow. So, my parents bought me Chrono Trigger when I was a kid, and I loved it. I bought it on PS1 with my own money, then, had them both stolen from me in the aforementioned storage unit while abroad. Then, I got it on DS, then, Steam, and now, on PSN lol. I love the game.

Actually, I have not played La Pucelle yet, but it looks interesting. It is supposed to be the predecessor to the Disgaea games, with humor and never taking itself too seriously, but, with less grinding. Here's a review on youtube. https://youtu.be/s6dVKXdZjxA
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Hmm La Pucelle looks cute but I don't like the way it switches to a battle screen. I want my strategy RPGs to stick to the map.

Maybe I'll give Chrono Trigger a go after I've finished at least a few of the tons of games I've downloaded already!
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Rooks wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:35 pm
I already had Demon Souls and Dark Souls II, but, they are in Sealed Boxes, brand new. So, I decided I would keep them as collector's items. I mean, have you seen what a sealed copy of Paper Mario goes for these days? It was $650 USD at a trade show nearby me.
I think any (regular) game that was released from the PS3 onwards will not significantly rise in price. Especially PS3 and 4 games are so damn cheap. If it's a collector's edition (or most Nintendo games), their value will rise over time or at least stay constant. tl;dr: you can open and play your Souls games. :-)
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

This was posted last week, but Sony has reversed their decision to shut down the PS3 and Vita's digital stores. They will remain up, while the PSPs store is officially done. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.euroga ... -shutdowns

I wonder what made them change their minds. I know there was tons of backlash when the news broke out initially. Did they actually listen?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

La Pucelle Tactics is OK. The story is fine, and the main character shows up in other NIS games. It's kind of interesting to learn about her. Apart from that, it's an early entry in a series of cookie-cutter, NIS, turn-based strategy games (The PS2 Disgaea series, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, etc. all use iterations of the same engine and essentially play identically). If you like the style, and grind-heavy gameplay of those games, it's certainly worth a look. Otherwise, it's probably a little too stilted and crusty to be recommendable.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Yes, thank you JuveLeo, the decisions, then the reversal was a shock to us all.

Frankly, I don't like grind-heavy gameplay. That's one of the reasons why I am such a giant Suikoden fan lol. Where grinding is, through the mechanics of the bags and the inventory system, actively discouraged. lol.

Also, Matze, it is a bit late for that, I already bought the games Demons Souls and Dark Souls II on the PSN before they reversed their decision lol. So, I might as well leave them sealed and see what happens lol. If they become collector's items, great, if not, I lost out on $30 USD lol.