COVID-19 coronavirus, what are your plans?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Rooks

COVID-19 coronavirus, what are your plans?

Post by Rooks »

Hey all,

I hope you are all well. As for me, I was forced to shut down my small business on Friday due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Just temporarily, I hope, best case scenario at this point seems to be about three weeks though lol. So, I'll have a lot of time on my hands as I more-or-less self-isolate. What are you all planning to do during this time? Is your country recommending self-isolation? or maybe even on lock-down?

As for me, I was planning on playing some Suikoden, naturally. Maybe I could start a Twitch Channel and stream it. Though, of course, I don't have an external capture box, so, I'd have to emulate it, and stream via software. Which isn't as good as the real thing, ya know?

Any way, what are your plans? I hope you all have enough food, and are taking precautions.
sticky-runes

Re: COVID-19 coronavirus, what are your plans?

Post by sticky-runes »

I already mastered the art of self isolation long before it even became a thing, so staying home for weeks playing video games and jerking off is nothing new to me. 8) I got a new PS4 last week, I've got Netflix and Amazon Prime and tons of shows to catch up on. If I get fed up of staring at screens, I've got plenty of books I haven't read and art materials I haven't used and recipies I haven't tried out yet, so this could be exciting! Who needs to travel :lol: I don't go to the gym, I don't go out clubbing or any of that crap, and I went to all the gigs I wanted to last year, so I don't need to be around lots of people any time soon.

I'm not too worried about myself, I do worry about my parents and other elderly relatives living in other towns.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Yeah, really I am not at-risk. I am young and have no major health conditions, so, even if I were to get it, I'd be fine. I am scared of giving it to my parents though, or someone's parents or grandparents, they are at greater risk, so, here I am more-or-less locked down and riding it out. Well, I am still making quick trips to the store for food and stuff when I need it.

My sister is sharing her Disney+ subscription with me lol. So, I can finally watch The Mandalorian, too lol.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Both my parents have health issues that could be bad if they get the virus. It's Mothers Day in the UK this weekend, so that's gonna be weird.

I still take my dog out for walks, as that's an activity where I don't need to get close to anyone. If I do come across other dog walkers I just smile politely and pull the dog along. I'm not taking my chances to stop and chat to people!
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

Well I certainly enjoy running outdoors and swimming indoors, still work out a little and I make my living as sports teacher so, I can not do any of that anymore. But as sticky runes, I have long ago mastered the self isolation art so...as long as there is health there is nothing wrong with playing video games as a teenager, watching tv shows, even some anime and of course reading books.
On the other hand do not get overconfident, this damn illness does not affect only old people. Scared to hell when I read about sport players with good health having a hard time. It is not like the flu as presidents (does not matter the country, they all seem to follow the same pattern) like to say before sending people home.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

People are still comparing it to the flu. The flu has never put entire countries into lockdown like this before and caused hospitals to overflow, as far as I know. Flu symptoms come on quickly so you can easilly nip it in the bud and isolate yourself until you feel better. This is a disease that you can spread for almost an entire week before you start feeling unwell, and by that time you've passed it on to hundreds of other people. That's why the human race is getting its ass kicked right now.

Two people I know have had mild symptoms (mainly a cough and loss of sense of smell, one has had a high temperature and heavy chest) I'm hoping thats the worst of it for me, and that nobody I know ends up needing hospital treatment.

I quit my last job before any of this kicked off and had two interviews cancelled because of the quarantine. I've got enough money behind me to last for some time without work, but I still badly want things to get back to normal.

I think the one good thing that has come from all this is that its doing nature some good, now that there's a dramatic decrease in polution.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

It is always good to look on the bright side.

As for me: I got the opportunity to rent an RV from a student, and I took it up to the mountains, to take social distancing to an extreme lol.

So, I will be gone for a bit. The good news is that I made friends with a local rabbit, who I call "Sir Hopsalot." lol But, more or less, I am just sitting in the RV playing games and reading for the next two months.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Finally got back to this site after a while.
Since the lockdown here postponed my internship, I've been replaying some Suikoden. So far I'm done with S2, the two Gaidens and I'm currently at the middle of S3. God I missed these games! There's a long gap between my current and last playthrough of S3 that I've forgotten some storylines, which is good because it somehow feels like a new game sometimes.

Stay safe y'all! We'll get through this.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

@sticky runes: amazing how the "its like a flu" speech is STILL bought by so many people.Same happens here. Unbelievable. One thing that shocked me a few days ago: this virus kills people from rich to poor but...how many top politicians have gone down? Then Boris Johnson got really bad. Fortunately, now he seems to be better. I dont want any politician to die (or anyone) but my point is: they politicians seem "inmune" so far. Even the old ones or the fatty ones (because now the press is releasing info about how being obese is a great risk).

On the other hand I am reading Julius Caesar Gallic Wars, written by the big man himself. On video games, I am replaying Skyrim.

Man I miss running, I really do. In Spain is totally forbidden.

If the world does not end, we need a new Suikoden.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

A lot of people are still totally oblivious to how serious this is.

The businesses have all done the right thing, all the non-essential shops are shut, supermarkets and convenience stores and pharmacies are still open and have taken measures to protect employees and remove certain products from the shelves to discourage browsing. Pubs, cafes and restaurants have all closed, and schools are only open for children who's parents are key workers.

And yet, friends are still meeting up and gathering at parks and beaches. The pubs are shut, so people are throwing house parties with DJs and bouncy castles. I saw footage the other day of people sunbathing and drinking together in a park, and I thought it was fake, like maybe it was filmed last year when we had a heatwave and somebody uploaded it saying it happened last week, but it was genuine. I've been staying home as much as possible and crossing the road to avoid strangers when I do go outside, and then I see all these people just carrying on their merry way as if it's totally normal. I've been checking the numbers of cases and deaths every day and it's horrifying that so many people are still ignoring it. Are they not watching TV? have they not noticed that a lot of TV shows have been cancelled, and that presenters are either working from home or sitting two desks apart from each other? Have they not seen the adverts urging people to stay at home?

It doesn't help that we're having all this beautiful weather ever since lockdown started. I can't remember the last time it rained. Beginning of March I think? We could do with a good week of rain to force people indoors and cleanse all the streets and public spaces.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Here in the states a lot of people still think it's a hoax cooked up by the media and the "scientific establishment" or whatever. Most of the people I know like that have bizarrely elected to isolate themselves, but still talk constantly about how this is about mind control, abortion kills more humans, etc. The funniest are the ones who turned utterly on a dime. My sister-in-law's mom was convinced it was all a plot to undo Trump's economic successes before the election, and now, since about mid-March, she all but slaps people who don't wash their hands for long enough.

My plan was apparently to get it from a gas pump or the grocery store. Although, I'll probably never have more than a telephone diagnosis thanks to our poor testing, and overloaded hospitals. The first symptoms just hit me over the course of an hour or so about two weeks ago, and it was pretty rough. I didn't necessarily think I was going to die, but I felt like there was an unacceptable chance if I kept deteriorating at the rate I was. I called the hospital triage line, and since I wasn't having trouble breathing, the nurse told me to stay home, take ibuprofen, and monitor my symptoms. Fun. Maybe if the antibody test is ever approved, I'll be able to get one of those in about July.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Fortunately, Germany has been treating it quite cleverly so far. Unfortunately, economy's down and people start to scream for less regulation ... And the fact that a country like the US is treating this crisis so poorly is not a sign that the future will be too bright.

Anyway, as my research institute is still mostly open, my life has not changed that much. I am just surrounded by less people. But now I've got a week of vacation and I'll use it to replay the Trails in the Sky games.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Heya, good to see you well, Antimatzist!

Yeah, Germany has been doing rather well with it, unlike America lol. As for me? I am still in an RV up on the mountain, more or less. Sometimes heavy rains bring me back down here though, as Forest Service roads are gravel or dirt, and have no culverts and can washout easily. So, for tonight I am back in town.

I hope everyone and their families are doing well.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I guess staying in that RV is the safest place in America right now ...

So of course, since Germany did pretty well, a loud minority says now all was a scam and the "shutdown" was unnecessary (ignoring that Germany had the softes shutdown possibly imaginable). I guess cases will rise soonish again here ...
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

More or less the exact same thing here in the States, too. In Michigan, they had a protest where they blocked up the Capitol Building, and accidentally also blocked the local hospital's ER entrance, so Ambulances could not get through.

What puzzles me is Sweden, now, I am usually a fan of the Swedes and think they're good folk, but, looking at their metrics, it really, really was a bad idea to stay more-or-less open for them. Reference Johns Hopkins University here: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

Their Case-to-Fatality ratio is really bad. Higher than any place in Germany or even in America.

Yeah, it is pretty safe here. There are Bears and Cougars though, and not the hot kind of Cougar that is divorced and wears too much perfume lol. So, there's that to worry about. Though, the last fatal bear attack here is out of living memory, and only one Cougar attack ever in the entire state. I did buy some Bear Spray though, so, I'll be fine. Really, it takes Polar Bear to actually withstand that stuff lol. And the timid Black Bears we got here don't stand much of a chance.

It is a Continental Climate out here though, so, I can't really winter up here without also buying a Polaris 4x4 or similar, as the snow is near-constant from November through February. So, if there is another wave in the fall, I will have to tough it out back in the city. Which could be bad.