Castlevania Anime on Netflix

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Castlevania Anime on Netflix

Post by sticky-runes »

Has anybody watched it? I thought it was pretty awesome, and I've not actually played any Castlevania games. Good decision making it all grown up with lots of swearing and blood and guts and slagging off religions. Now if they can get around to doing a Suikoden anime that'll be lovely.
Midori

Re: Castlevania Anime on Netflix

Post by Midori »

I've watched it (japanese dub) and I absolutely loved it. Castlevania is the only RPG that I have not yet played
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

People I've spoken to on other sites who enjoyed the series haven't played the games either. I think if I were to start playing I'd want to start from the absolute first game.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

I finished it yesterday, watched a couple of episodes on Saturday and the other two yesterday.

It was...OK. Overall it's nice, has a good tone, eastern eggs, its consistent, but in my opinion it lacks action. And from the few action scenes half of them are fights between humans, in an anime about Castlevania that's just a NO for me. But well, in general is not bad so I won't complain to much about it either. At least it seems they actually cared and tried to do something solid, its just their budget was limited.

Pd: I still have hope for a Darksouleske Castlevania title.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah I wasn't expecting most of the fighting to be between humans. But then it was basically an 80 minute prologue to a bigger battle that's yet to come. I assume most of the next series will have the good guys fighting their way through Dracula's castle. From what I gather, the characters in the games have back stories that we don't see much of in the games and are only briefly mentioned in the instruction booklet, and the guys making the anime saw this as a chance to go into depth about the kind of things we don't see in the games. So we're given a different angle of life in Wallachia, and get to learn a bit more about the church and peasant folk. It makes the world a bit more "real".

SPOILERS

Got to love that scene where the statues return to flesh after Trevor kills the Cyclops!
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

My favorite part was "I'm Trevor focking Belmont, Would you please leave my testicles alone?" XD
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I did enjoy it. It is actually pretty faithful to the fluff from Castlevania 3 and Symphony of the Night.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Have you seen the second season? I enjoyed it, although there was a lot more talking than action. I thought Isaac and Godbrand were really cool, I have no idea if there are actually any characters like that in any of the games. The penultimate episode was where the good guys finally reached Dracula's castle and have a showdown, and then the final episode was all epilogues and aftermath.

I know one of the games had a female vampire villain, is that who Camilla or whatever her name was is based on?
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

I liked the second season lot more than the first season even if it was a bit more long that it should (lot of filler scenes to fill gore and time quotes without any real purpose).

Although I don't know if was a good castlevania adaptation, had too Little adventure for that, it was more like Game of Thrones wannabe with vampires. So may be wasn't a good adaptation, but it was certainly a good fantasy animation. The charácters had some really good interactions with each other and the action scenes were cool.

Carmilla appeared in some castlevania games, yes, but she is not particulary based in any of the portrays of her in the franchise, was more like a complete new Carmilla. Also, she appears in castlevania games, but Carmilla like Drácula's origin is actually on literature. She is the main charácter of a novel that outdates even Stocker's Drácula. And like Drácula with Vlad Tepes she is roughly based on an actual historical figure, a noble and serial killer called Elizabeth Bathory

Carmilla was the first "romantic" Vampire in fiction and is the second most famous vampire ever.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Oh I've heard of Bathory but didn't realise she was based on her so its cool that they've brought two famous vampires together. There was a live action movie about Bathory on a while ago but I got bored of it, it looked low budget and shoot.

Yeah there was a LOT of talking. Especially with the three good guys trying to figure each other out, the dialogue even got repetitive in a few places.

Season 2 felt a lot more Game of Thronesy than season 1 because of all the plotting and scheming inside Dracula's castle.

Sypha never seems to run out of magic. she must be using action replay codes or something.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I think season 3 was a lot better than season 2 (despite the absense of Dracula!) I enjoyed Isaac's journey, and the relationship forming between Hector and the vampire chick. We even got treated to some anime sex :lol:
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

How many seasons are there? I think i watched a couple episodes of the first season when it originally aired but couldn't get into it. I'm thinking of giving it another go. Is this only on Netflix?