Murayama Interview

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Murayama Interview

Post by wataru14 »

So the SRM has posted the English translation of the interview with Murayama and something really stood out for me.

Q: Who is Hugo's father? Of course Hugo from Suikoden III - not the librarian!
A: Some blonde guy.

Now, in the past, Murayama said that Hugo's distinctive hair coloring is from his father. Now, most people assumed that meant the dark tips because Lucia is blonde. But now he is outright saying that Hugo's dad is blonde. So that busts all those theories about Riou/Leon Silverberg/Luca Blight (however farfetched) being his father, but opens up a whole new world of Jowy/Culgan (Rowd would be a possibility but Lucia would not consider him a "great man"). Of course, none of this proves that Hugo's father was anyone but some random Karayan dude (and unless Murayama was being flippant in his answer, it actually does more to support that theory), but it's interesting to see people have been misinterpreting Murayama's clue for years.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Murayama Interview

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The more I hear from Murayama the more it seems like he doesn't consider the Suikoden series to have been much more than another job for him. Which is fine, but I think many fans are too caught up in the idea that it holds some great affection to him that doesn't actually seem to exist.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I agree. He seemed annoyed by the interview and generally disinterested in answering questions.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Probably because they were really uninteresting questions. Why is Yam koo's skin a different colour in s2 - Really??? I didn't even notice, after 18 or so years of playing the games back to back. Of all the questions you would ask the creator of your favourite game series, that's the best they could come up with?
How about asking if any of the characters are inspired by historical or literary figures? How about asking how they went about coming up with strong and inspirational female characters, which a lot of older games were lacking in? How about asking for his thoughts on the different factions such as the Dragon Knights and Warriors' Village, and the races such as kobolds and wingers, and how they function in the mostly human world? How about asking for info on the Sindar? Next time they get to interview Murayama, they better not send some child who wants to fap over Pesmerga and Yuber.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

@wataru: He wasn't annoyed and actually pretty open before the interview, saying we should not worry which questions we wanna throw at his head. But he's probably annoyed by these specific character questions. Who cares who Hugo's father is? It could be Mukumuku for all we care.

@sticky-runes: It was a community interview, you could have sent in your questions (which I think are all pretty great).
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I don't think the real question is "who is Hugo's father" as much as it is "Is Hugo's father someone we should know?" Cause the issue of Hugo's father is pretty uninteresting if it's "Unnamed Highlander #154" but people have inferred (probably incorrectly) that it's someone from a previous game.

I'd be interested to hear if he has any feelings about fan efforts like the translations of the gaidens/card stories, assumingly he is unaware of it currently.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

then save my questions for the next interview. Sorry for being grumpy. Any chance of a Junko Kawano interview?

And I don't care who Hugo's dad is. I always assumed it was Beecham, or some Karayan warrior who died in battle. whatever. Does anyone care who Tir McDohl's mother was?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Junko Kawano unfortunately declined as have many others who worked on Suikoden titles. The only possibility would be to ask Konami JPN if we could do it and chances for that are slim, I suppose. But we actually never tried it, we've only been in contact with the persons directly.

@Raww: You're right, but well, maybe he never really thought it out and doesn't feel like giving a concrete answer. The translation question is nice.

Mh, now that I think about it I forgot to ask him wether he'd not be interested in joining social media channels and be a bit more open.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Where's the full interview?

@sticky-runes: Why so much against Pesmerga/Yuber theory? I believe most Suikoden fans are excepting the answer of this question for like 2 decades.
NashLatkje

Post by NashLatkje »

Well from what I got out of the interview is that Nash might not even be married, it was just something he might of made up. Which I could see that being the case, for whatever reason.
"Adults have their reasons. You children who see the world in black and white will learn soon enough about shades of grey."
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:Where's the full interview?

@sticky-runes: Why so much against Pesmerga/Yuber theory? I believe most Suikoden fans are excepting the answer of this question for like 2 decades.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/suikoden ... 7783459406

Because in all that time people should have stopped giving a sh!t about Pesmerga and Yuber's "mysterious" backstory and become more invested in the characters that we do know about. There are three questions about those characters, and in each answer Murayama tells us nothing that we didn't know already/couldn't figure out from reading other online resources.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:Full interview can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/suikoden ... 7783459406
sticky-runes wrote: https://www.facebook.com/notes/suikoden ... 7783459406

Because in all that time people should have stopped giving a sh!t about Pesmerga and Yuber's "mysterious" backstory and become more invested in the characters that we do know about. There are three questions about those characters, and in each answer Murayama tells us nothing that we didn't know already/couldn't figure out from reading other online resources.
Thanks!

But some questions were really dumb in my opinion. Particularly, "Is Culgan really dead?" and "Why Jowy isn't included in the 108 Stars Of Destiny?".

I think it's well known that Culgan died during the fall of L'Renouille and Jowy isn't included for very obvious reasons.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Exactly, why ask about Culgan in particular? Sure, he was less of a twat than Seed, but why just ask about Culgan and not Seed when they were defeated right alongside each other?

And Jowy has the offending half of the Rune of Beginning and ends up leading the Highland forces against us, so of course he's not going to be part of Riou's group. Just because Suikdoen 3 fluffed it up by making Luc and his posse part of the 108.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

It was never explicitly mentioned that Culgan died.

And I think the Jowy question isn't any dumber than asking about Pesmerga. After Suikoden III, it makes actually some sense... in a way.