Most beloved antagonist character

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Most beloved antagonist character

Post by Sasarai10 »

Wolkendrache wrote:Yeah, and as a reward for this entertainment I always recruit him. I've no need for anything that stupid Eresh has to offer.

I always wondered who's the canon Tenfu Star in this game? Euram or Eresh? :?:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:
I always wondered who's the canon Tenfu Star in this game? Euram or Eresh? :?:
Eurum, I should think, since he's a storyline character, and Eresh is just some random sorceress sitting in a cave (I still use her, though.)
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:
Eurum, I should think, since he's a storyline character, and Eresh is just some random sorceress sitting in a cave (I still use her, though.)

Yeah i believe Euram as well...makes more sense.

But why they chose Eresh to replace Euram if you choose her,and not someone else is a mystery. They're totally different personalities.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Just like Clive is totally different from Sasarai :roll:
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:Just like Clive is totally different from Sasarai :roll:

Not at all...they're both Harmonians aren't they?

Perhaps they might have meet each other as well.

But i doubt that Euram has ever met Eresh
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah, the Euram/Eresh thing is a bit dumb. Valeria/Kasumi in S1 makes some sense, because they are both characters from S1 and they are uniquely different from each other, but you can still use them in group combat and army battles, but you can't use Euram in group combat at all and Eresh doesn't have any involvement in the main story line. It might have made more sense if you could choose between Eurum and one of the gladiator characters or Eresh and Alhazred or something.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Yeah, the Euram/Eresh thing is a bit dumb. Valeria/Kasumi in S1 makes some sense, because they are both characters from S1 and they are uniquely different from each other, but you can still use them in group combat and army battles, but you can't use Euram in group combat at all and Eresh doesn't have any involvement in the main story line. It might have made more sense if you could choose between Eurum and one of the gladiator characters or Eresh and Alhazred or something.

Yeah Alhazred makes more sense. He is a mage as well,although not as mysterious as Eresh :lol:

Only if Zerase was optional,then it would be more suitable to choose between Eresh or her.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Reviving this topic because the bad guys don't get enough love. Here are some honorable mentions:

Windy: A classic evil sorceress. I would love to see a game that shows her during her earlier experiences. she might have been a lovely person until her clan was wiped out, and she and Leknaat went separate ways. a classic good witch/bad witch situation, but I'd love to see it play out Suikoden style. It was also a nice touch to the first game that the major antagonist was a woman, and that the emperor allowed himself to succumb to her without actually being enchanted by her magic. I know I've allowed my world to be controlled out of love and admiration for someone!

Troy: He was a soldier doing his job. He didn't even agree with a lot of the stuff he ended up doing throughout the story, but he had already earned a hero-like status during his career and stayed loyal to his homeland right to the end. I don't think he even gets mentioned in Tactics, but we do get to see how the people of Kooluk struggle after their defeat by the Islanders, so that gives us an idea of what Troy's victory might have meant to them, if the Kooluk navy had succeeded with their Southern expansion.

Steele: He was vile, but for the short time he was in Tactics he made a pretty big impression on the major characters. Kyrill loses his father because of Steele and that kicks off Kyrill's quest to investigate rune cannons and bring them to an end. Edgar dies fighting Steele, and Kika becomes leader of the nest of Pirates, with Sigurd and Hervey, two rivals who have united after surviving an attack from Steele, become her right hand men. And Brandeau becomes the most feared pirate after Steele's death. It was nice to have the chance to see Brandeau as a good guy being devastated by Edgar's death, and his servant Peck who becomes deformed into the nameless assassin we saw in S4.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Troy gets mentioned, in one of the conversations between Ornela and Kika.

Also in the Gossip section, someone mentions him too. Don't remember in which area though.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Imo some bad guys get too much love. Luca Blight is the most overrated antagonist. The game depicts him as a monster, hardly able to control his rage, and there's a Freudian excuse behind it. I would've liked to see some scenes where he's struggling with himself, or some remainders of human-ness (idk, maybe a kowtow at the grave of his mother or so), or a childhood scene that makes me think "that lovely child turned into monster, oh why!!!" But nothing. What if there was no childhood incident? I mean the game gives us no reason to think that he would have been a good guy. A character with a twist must be shown from both sides, but we only get to see one side. A few indications for a different side are not enough. He’s still a great villain because his monster depiction and design alone are awesome, but he’s missing stuff to be excellent.

Sticky-runes idea for Windy is great. You will hate her more if you loved her before. When I look at Godard and Queen Mother Agatha from Vandal Hearts 2, I’m thinking “why did they waste such excellent character concepts on a Tactical RPG?!”
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Of course, some people don't like seeing villains being given backstory treatment like Darth Vader/Maleficent, but an advantage to Suikoden games is that they don't really focus too intently on one character (for example Brandeau in Tactics didn't take up too much of the story, it was just one incident among many) That's how I like seeing backstory events in Suikoden.
jacques-daniels

Post by jacques-daniels »

luca did have a childhood incident. on the site look at history>legacies>blight family