I actually want mermaids to be in another Suikoden

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
bluemask

I actually want mermaids to be in another Suikoden

Post by bluemask »

I know it's weird but I like their idea. It's like an untapped race (so much for Elves, Wingers and Kobolds). Even Lilin, I want her to appear in another Suikoden game as she's one of my most remembered character... :P
BrucePrintscreen

Re: I actually want mermaids to be in another Suikoden

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I want Nay-Kobolds to reappear because cats are awesome!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I always thought the mermaids should have been like the sirens that we encounter as enemies in other games - so they can use their voices to inflict different status effects like sleep and silence etc. and they could spit those weird dart thingies as a normal attack.

They added a nice bit of mythology to Suikoden 4, though. It seems strange they never reappeared in Tactics, or even in the Island Nations sections of S5.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I always guessed that after IV, the Mermaids went into mythology and even though they still exist, nobody ever sees one again.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I want Nay-Kobolds to reappear because cats are awesome!
Yeah. But not appearing in S5 makes me think they're Island Nation exclusives as well, just like the mermaids. But I hope they hadn't gone the mythology path too.

I think the Siren enemies can be a sub-group or... the mermaids from the past have mutated to some sort. In S3 they have fish-tails but the ones in S1 and 2 looks more like the ones in 4 with those suit-like body.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

sirens and mermaids are two different things. In real life mythologies, some sirens were women with a bird's body rather than fish's but they tricked sailors the same way. I may be wrong but I also think that all mermaids were not sirens in the sense that they didn't use a charming song to lure mariners.
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

I had originally intended to use Sea Elves or Mermaids as my one and only special race in Harmonia for our fan game. When the Rune of Change took on a Hindu theme, the Sea Elves became the Nagas. That branched out into them having and enemy race called Garuda. These species have to live in unlivable areas because of the Harmonian laws.

I hope to feature at least one character of each race though.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

most classical art depicts sirens as having bird bodies, but a lot of fantasies have blended sirens and mermaids into the same being. Hanz Christian Andersen's mermaids liked to sing, but I don't think they had the same kind of power as the Greek sirens, but people seem to like the idea of mermaids singing because they're elegant and graceful and stuff.

I don't suppose it really matters for Suikoden. In S3, Sirens and Banshees were exactly the same creature - a floating woman with a fish body and carrying a harp, just different colours. And the Banshees in S1 looked like they were made out of pink mist with blue flaming hair.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Yeah, I think Suikoden kinda mixed it up. Mermaids have scales while Sirens seems to have feet (at least in the art depictions). The thing is, Suikoden made mermaids with scales + feet...
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

all i have to say is...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
besides Lilin who is the lead mermaid,the other 4 was a waste of 4 stars. At least they should be non-stars and the other 4 should be characters like Colton for example.

Yes why not? Since he didn't mind that his son Helmut joined the enemy side...why not him too? :roll:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:all i have to say is...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
besides Lilin who is the lead mermaid,the other 4 was a waste of 4 stars. At least they should be non-stars and the other 4 should be characters like Colton for example.

Yes why not? Since he didn't mind that his son Helmut joined the enemy side...why not him too? :roll:
Colton, Vincent Vingerhut and Schtolteheim Reinbach II, so they can all perform the "Doddering Old Codgers Attack".
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

My heart is pierced by Cupid,
distained all glittering gold
There is nothing can console me,
but my Jolly Sailor Bold

Mermaids should all be like the ones in Pirate of the Caribbean. Deceptively stunning. :lol:
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:
Colton, Vincent Vingerhut and Schtolteheim Reinbach II, so they can all perform the "Doddering Old Codgers Attack".

Yeah...the other 2 could be Vincent and Reincach II...i think you could convince them to join :D

The 4th who might will be??? It could be Assasin if he had survived the attack by the Rune of Punishment i guess. He could jump in the sea and dry up later in some island..and then find him later in the game to recruit him :lol:
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Sasarai10 wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:

Yeah...the other 2 could be Vincent and Reincach II...i think you could convince them to join :D

The 4th who might will be??? It could be Assasin if he had survived the attack by the Rune of Punishment i guess. He could jump in the sea and dry up later in some island..and then find him later in the game to recruit him :lol:
I think it should be the governor. Now that would be perfect... for the sake of humor.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

bluemask wrote: I think it should be the governor. Now that would be perfect... for the sake of humor.

Hmmm...it could mix things up. The only person who could resque him is Ramada,because once he leaves your ship he is around El-Eal,and he won't come back till the game is over.