2012 is coming up

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

2012 is coming up

Post by Noraibah »

Post if anyone thinks 2012 is going to be a great year or BAD year. 8)
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
EstrangedIX

Re: 2012 is coming up

Post by EstrangedIX »

2012 seems like the New Age version of the Y2k bug. A lot of political craziness will happen, though. Just don't expect any raptures or waves of spiritual enlightenment. Just my opinion, of course :wink:
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, the Mayan calendar does reset. Note that it does not end, as is commonly reported. Think of it like this: The Mayan Calendar is made of three concentric circles, the outer circle is the circle of seasons (basically months) the middle circle is the circle of Years, and the innermost circle is the circle of Ages.

In December 2012, the calendar resets to 1-Season 1-Year 1-Age, or 1/1/1. Every time the Circle of Seasons completes one full turn, the Circle of Years moves forward one notch. Every time the Circle of Years completes one full rotation, the Circle of Ages moves forward one notch, etc. I cannot remember how many notches each circle has, not off of the top of my head in any event. But, in any event, it takes a very long time for the calendar to reset.

Now, the 1/1/1 is associated with great trials and tribulation. It is seen as a time of pain necessary for rebirth into the new era of time. But by no means does that Calendar end. Circles do not end and that is a fact. The Mayans were tremendously gifted mathematicians, and understood this very well. The Calendar was started after the Mayan's great Tribulation, which lead to the creation of their culture. No one is sure if this event is fictional, or based on reality, but in essence, the Mayan culture that produced this calendar was born out of this 1/1/1 event.

So, yeah. I think the whole 2012 thing is overblown. Sure the world has some serious problems now, and we need to address them, even though it might lead to playing less Suikoden. But I don't think the world will "end" or we will have "Armegeddon" (Actualy a Valley in the Iraq/Syrian border area) nor an "Apocalypse" (Actually Koinea Greek for the verb: "To take the Lid Off.) These things tend to get seriously overblown. But hey, maybe it will spur some people to action to make positive changes in the world, so I am not complaining too badly lol.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Actually, I'd be all for a Rapture/Age of Aquarius thing happening as long as didn't cut into my Suikoden time lol
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I have enough things to worry about in my daily life that I don't spend time worrying about something I have no power to change ending the world.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

^^ :lol: Very true.

But can you imagine that there is someone or a group of people that are determined to end the world as we know it on 2012 to fulfil the prophecies, i don't know say the US government or some religious nuts. Or perhaps it could mark the end of an era like the fall of the USA and the rise of China...regardless i have a feeling that 2012 is going to be a good year!
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
s21

Post by s21 »

good year if the new suikoden is non-tierkreis :p
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

It'll be a good year,I'll be done school by next fall so if the world does decide to end or whatever people are saying now,at least I can say I earned my degree before that.
Small victories ;-)
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I don't really think too much about it, I'll just take every new day as it comes.

@EstrangedIX
As far as I know the Rapture/Age of Aquarius isn't supposed to come until 2150 so sadly your wish won't come true, unless you actually manage live that long.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I wouldn't mind contributing to self-fulfilling the prophecy.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I'm telling you someone is going to attempt it. Perhaps Russia will take all its people into space and then trigger some kind of high pitched frequency that blows peoples brains out. Or some crazily rich dude and his family wants to wipe out all of us and then they can start to repopulate the earth themselves.

Of course these are unlikely although not impossible but i would be surprised if nothing big does happen come 2012. The Olympics are going to happen here in England in 2012 i predict a disaster!
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
primierra

Post by primierra »

s21 wrote:good year if the new suikoden is non-tierkreis :p
I second that!
Audiences want more than logic.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

2150? Well if the religious/political crazies don't try to fulfill the prophecy themselves (remember the idiots who thought Obama was the Antichrist and voted for him to bring on the rapture?) then it looks like I'll still have plenty of Suikoden time lol

Edit:
@ patapi: just noticed your post. As long as you're not one of the crazies, I say go for it :lol:
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

I wonder how many people will be drinking kool aid on December 21st 2012...haha
in all seriousness though,it almost makes me worry about how many people are probably already planning for the end to actually happen. I have a friend that is spending all of her money as she gets it and running up credit cards because she seriously believes something is going to go down in 2012,scary times...
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

Wow!I can't believe my topics can actually be this popular.Yay me!
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!