Help on my novel...

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
ninjaluc79

Help on my novel...

Post by ninjaluc79 »

This idea came into my mind several years ago as a contestant in academic tournaments in our country since grade school. The problem is I don't know exactly what format should I use for the story I am making, particularly on how to determine the seeds for the playoff match-ups for each level and the format of the one-on-one matches themselves.

Now I don't know how many levels do other countries have before making the Nationals, but as for my story, I'll have five, including inside school. I know that quizzes are really not that popular, I can't go back to my alma mater to volunteer as trainer for the quizzers there, but I don't know who else to turn to for help on this one.

The format I was used to in middle school composed of a 3-round tourney, substitutions allowed after each round. The top 5 teams will become the Winners' Pool, and the next 5 are the Losers' Pool. Each pool will play head-to-head in a round-robin format. 10 questions per match, untimed slam-in, team that gets more points wins the match. Top 3 teams in Winners' Pool and the top 2 teams in the Losers' Pool will go into another round-robin pool, with the Winners' Pool teams having point advantages at the start of the round-robin. Top 2 teams will go to the finals with the top 1 team having twice-to-beat advantage.

My prototype format:

To determine seeds:

I'm thinking about these:

1) An individual written quiz for all participants, with three members per team. I intend to do this in the Intra-School Arc, but I'm not sure if it's still feasible beyond this point as the team members there won't be constant, some have 7, others have more. Team scores are determined by the total score of the team members, and these will be used in determining the seeds.

OR

2) A free-for-all 3-round tourney wherein a team with indefinite number of reserves will field in 3 members, and substitution is allowed every 5 questions and/or after every round. The top 8 or so teams will be seeded 1-8 for the playoffs. I intend to have this beyond the Intra-School Arc.

Playoffs for each area level:

Single-elimination head-to-head matches, play-until-you-lose at the Intra-School, and best-of-5 beyond that. This time, I'll definitely use the untimed slam-in. Now I'm confused whether to have 10 questions only or unlimited questions until one player gets 6 points and is 2 points ahead of his opponent.

Play-until-you-lose - for my 3-man teams, each team will field in one player at a time. If a player loses, another teammate takes over, so the winner will keep on playing until he loses.

Best-of-5 - I have two doubles and three singles matches, similar to tennis.

Personally, I like the 6-point system for this, but I don't know about anything else.

Any insights on this?
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
umairaraza100

Re: Help on my novel...

Post by umairaraza100 »

well you have need to write the stories of other famous writers then take a lesson then start writing of your story and also read the old stories in the contest which other people wrote you will get some idea through can you complete your novel