Publications - Novels and Comics

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
Persmerga

Post by Persmerga »

Alrigh cheers man all need now if for them to hopefull make there way to the UK lol
Some hooligan keeps disconnecting the alarm. I told Security to look into it. But no, no, they'd rather catch the guy who's stealing organs from the transplant ward!!
Basel

Post by Basel »

The third volume of Suikoden 5 Novel is out:
幻想水滸伝5〈3〉 (文庫)

Another Comic Anthology is planned for release on 2006/12/27:
幻想水滸伝V アンソロジーコミック ~太陽の紋章~ (コミック)
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Basel

Post by Basel »

They are planning for another one due 2007-02-01:
幻想水滸伝V 4コマアンソロジーコミック 2
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

They are on a roll, huh.

At this current rate, they'd easily overpower the amount of official spin-off manga that II had.

Now, if only they'd resume producing the other good stuffs that had died since pre-Rhapsodia era, such as new cards for Card Stories or Gensho Shinsho issues. That would have been awesome.
Basel

Post by Basel »

Yep, Suikoden V definitely got good reputation in Japan. I'm still sad that Suikoden V calendar didn't make it through :(
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Eh? Even the supposedly "awful" Suikoden IV got its own calendar last year (or was it the year before last?).

Now, if only they'd make both a fun and localisation-worthy spin-off game to V, then perhaps they'd exceed expectations.
Basel

Post by Basel »

There were two calendars, one for Suikoden I-III on 2003 and one for SUikoden IV in 2005. We might get Suikoden V-VI calendar in 2009.
patapi wrote:Now, if only they'd make both a fun and localisation-worthy spin-off game to V, then perhaps they'd exceed expectations.
This would be awesome.
Clay

Re: Publications - Novels and Comics

Post by Clay »

This might seem like one of the most retarded questions here...But...

Is there, in any sort of way, a chance that these books/novels/manga (apart from suikoden 3...which i have all of them)...are translated to english??

At all?
Quing

Post by Quing »

Look in the translation forums. Aside from that, there's nothing. You could do something about that, you know...
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I was thinkin of tryin to track down and buy the Suikoden 2 novels and the Suikdoen 1 (souleater) novels. How well would you have to learn japanese in order to follow these novels competently?
Clay

Post by Clay »

I have them...and to be honest, you have to know japanese to read it. It's just like reading one of their books. If you don't know japanese, you won't be able to read the books. *Sigh* One day. One day.
Aisling

Post by Aisling »

It's just so frustrating... As I said in a former post here (I think), a couple of years ago, some fellow Suikosource members and myself started a discusion on the TokyoPop forums about translating the Suikoden novels. But the people in TokyoPop didn't seem to be too interested. I really don't understand why some other less popular Japanese or Manga novels have been translated and sold to the English speaking market. What I think that would make the Suikoden novels profitable, is that they surely would be bought not only by people who are native speakers of English, but also those who are not but love the games nevertheless.

Suikoden has a solid worldwide fandom. I wish TokyoPop could see the advantages of that.

What do you think... should we go for yet ANOTHER online petition...?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

With Tokyopop, I suppose the 11-volume Suikoden III manga series served as this franchise's first translated media made available to English speakers, and they probably decided that the returns didn't justify any further localisations?

Otherwise, I'm sure they'd follow through with the rest of it. Like how the amount of minute attention that they have given to other franchises like .hack and Gundam.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Was there ever any Suikoden IV novels/anime? Can't say I seen any books at all bar the strategy guides? Also, I'm sure you guys already know of this (and the in-progress suikogaiden translation) but do you know if this kind gentleman has translated anymore of the Suikoden 5 novels:

http://rin-uzuki.livejournal.com/5032.html

???
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Thought this would fit better here instead of a new topic...

Just checked out the Suikoden series staff blog, and I saw picture with all the series' many manga books here: http://mp.i-revo.jp/user.php/genso-staff/entry/87.html

I'm able to identify each of the books, but there's one that I'm not familiar with, so hopefully someone here can help.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/1763/komikku.jpg

In the middle row, it's the leftmost book immediately next to the stacked first two volumes of Suikoden V's Castle of Dawn collected issues.