Publications - Novels and Comics

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
Karthur

Post by Karthur »

Anyone know when Vol 7 is coming out? The date given in the book is 7/23/04, but I haven't seen it on any of the manga sites...

Thanks!
Altair

Authenticity

Post by Altair »

The Suikoden III manga are official. On the English version, check the cover at the very bottom, under where it says "Suikoden III: The Successor of Fate :: Aki Shimizu." It says, in ridiculously fine print, "(c) 1995, 2002 Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo."

Anyway, TokyoPop is just a distributor. To my knowledge they don't produce original manga ("Rising Stars of Manga" notwithstanding), and I'd be very surprised if they did.
damican

Post by damican »

Are the Genso Suikoden Novelizations in english anywhere?

I've just bought the Manga thats released in US, and I've ordered a translation of Shuihu Chuan.. So I'm really looking for an english version of the Novelizations.
Goldmember

Post by Goldmember »

Is any of the publications in English?
IRISHANDPROUD

Manchester United Fan
Celtic Football Club Fan
Lord Tsubaki

Post by Lord Tsubaki »

Nope, only the Suikoden 3 manga vol. 1 & 2.
"heehee! a fish, a fish, I wish to catch a fish." - a kid from Kuskus
suikodenherodrake

Post by suikodenherodrake »

Is the third volume of the Suikoden III manga out yet? If so, where would be a good place to find?
Check out my Suikoden fic: Freiheit
WARNING: Season 1 may cause head-splodies.
R.I.P. Todd Davis
3-21-88 - 2-25-07
himurokoken

Post by himurokoken »

i got my vol 3 last week, and I'm enjoying the manga more and more.
RiceBowl52

Post by RiceBowl52 »

Yep I cant wait for november for the 4th one
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Tokyopop just translates and distributes the mangas in the US.

The original writer of the manga, Aki Shimizu, was approached by KCETokyo to write it. Indeed the manga is officially licensed and sanctioned and whatnot, but its 'official'-ness is questionable, especially as the plot conflicts with the game itself more and more.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

What's great is that the manga's plot is considered better by most fans (Volume 7 came out in Japan last month and people love it). Pretty rare for a game-to-manga to be so successful. Vol 1 has had 11 reprints so far in Japan.
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Yes, the plot in the manga seems more..."complete" to me.
"We are forgotten in times of peace. It's only
when war looms that people remember we exist."
-The Great Leon Silverburg
Celsis

Post by Celsis »

really? to me it seemed like it had more holes but I guess it was because I was comparing it to the game, in it's own respect it's complete though. I guess it might seem more complete because you get more backstory, and a bit more interaction with characters but then once it gets to the timeline of the actual game, you miss more in the manga than in playing the game, besides certain details that are changed from the game, such as when Percival meets up with Barts at Iksay. So I guess the combination of the two is what completes it the best, cause you get more backround info of less occuring characters in the game, and more of a longer story, but you get more interaction between the characters in the mangas, while summarizing events in the game. Although some parts of the manga bug me a little, it's still a good manga and I can see why it is so sucessful in Japan. I look forward to actually figuring out what's going on in vol.7, because I can't read japanese ^^; so I'm left to guessing what's in the pictures, good stuff, I think I might actually understand what's going on though =o the jist of it anyway, yay for me... <.>

I hope I'm not getting off topic, but although there is pretty good artwork, it just can't match that of the actual game's artwork =P Geddoe is just too uniquely drawn that no one can match it completely but the original creator, but that's not the only thing, in any case. ^^;
Spambi

Post by Spambi »

I was wondering when someone would mention the art work...

In my opinion, Aki Shimizu definitely seems to be improving his/her(?) artwork as the manga progresses. In the begining the characters didn't really seem to look right--Aila's hair was weird and Salome looked...scary. But I really like the backgrounds; they look very realistic and it's fun to scan over various scenes and pick out familiar characters. (IE: vol 2 Iksay festival. Anyone else find Mel, Hortez and Gordon?) I thought that was fun.
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Hortez is also in Volume 3 at Caleria. Yeah...Sgt. Joe and Lulu looked wack in Volume 1, but she seems to have gotten use to it by Volume 3. I love the way she draws Duke when he gets crazy, or Ace when he freaks out. And the drunken Joker was pretty awesome, haha.
"We are forgotten in times of peace. It's only
when war looms that people remember we exist."
-The Great Leon Silverburg
Star of destiny

Post by Star of destiny »

is manga a novel or is a comic?
"Leknaat calls me "traveler of the night and bearer of the stars". Though I see the stars that dwell within each of you, I could not possibly hope to know where fate may take you. And I myself am simply one star among many."