Publications - Materials and Art Books

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
Alayna

Post by Alayna »

I'm searching for Suikoden V artbooks (I have the little preorder one but it just isn't quite what I'm looking for)-- anyone know where I can find it?
I found these 2:
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/c ... 004152335/
I think this one might be just a strat guide by the date.
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/c ... 004318122/
And this one was released yesterday...

I can't read Japanese so it poses kind of a problem.
I'm also looking for a Suikoden V poster to fit in my Suikoden corner ( http://www.alayna.net/me/mycorner.jpg )
So if anyone can help, I'd be very grateful =]
Linn
Elite Member

Post by Linn »

The only artbook I know of for V is the 108 stars character guide, which is the second one you have linked, ISBN number 486155120X. I'm not sure why they say it was released yesterday, though, since it came out about a month ago...

The first book you linked, by the way, isn't a Suikoden V book. It's a guidebook for the PSP rerelease of I and II, so you definitely don't want it! ;)

Ooh, and cool posters! I don't really know of a good place to find them, but I do see promotional posters for auction on Yahoo Japan sometimes.
Basel

Post by Basel »

akadotRETAIL has just received their stock of Genso Suikoden V Official Guide Character of 108-Stars.
You can get it from here: http://www.akadotretail.com/shop/shop_s ... 486155120x
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
mrpacman2003

Post by mrpacman2003 »

Is any of it in English? From the preview page it seems to mainly be in all Japanese. I prob still get it but e cooler if you could read it.
"If you have an open mind, you can do anything." ~Jason
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Negative.

If we are lucky, they might spell the characters' names in Roman alphabets, otherwise not really.
Alayna

Post by Alayna »

Thank you Basel! I just bought that 108 Characters book from that site...
Hee :D I can't wait to get it XD
Basel

Post by Basel »

Unlike the guide that playstation published all the offical guides and the artbook of Suikoden V from Konami have the names of the characters in Roman alphabets. However, the artbook spells the names wrongly sometimes.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
EnigmaticThief

Post by EnigmaticThief »

Very nice find Basel!

I'll agree that there are sometimes misakes when romanized names are used in artbooks, be it variances in translation from an official source, or from fans.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

They did get the names right in the two guidebooks, didn't they?

Strange they didn't fix the one in this artbook.
EnigmaticThief

Post by EnigmaticThief »

Yeah, it is strange. The names in V were all relatively simple in terms of sound. It's usually when they try to romanize names or terms that have different sounds or letters from languages such as French or German that things tend to get messy.

Edit: I just noticed that in the posted artbook scans Egbert's name is spelled "Egberd."
Basel

Post by Basel »

They even mixed up the names in katakana. If you take a look at page 170 you wil l notice that the sketches for Ferid and Georg were miss labeled. Other names that were miss spelled are: "Beaber Lodge" on page 104, "Faction of Godwin/Hareth" on page 086, and "Lindbbwurm Mercenary Brigade/Richar" on page 071. Isn't Haleth a member of the Barows family?
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Naw, Haleth was with the Godwins, although he really supported the Prince all along.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Lo Wen Stalker

Post by Lo Wen Stalker »

After looking at scans and buying one of the books at random, I've concluded that there are at least three different Suikoden 5 books with decent helpings of artwork.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/5664/artbook1jc8.jpg

This one, Genso Suikoden 5 Character Guide, has big nice artwork, but very little of it. A sample page shows two Prince artworks. Note the red borders and faded edges of the page.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/7496/artbook2eg4.jpg

This one, Genso Suikoden 5 The Complete Guide, is the one I bought. It's a massive book with everything you need to play the game (as long as you can read Japanese), but the character pages are rather lacking. Some have their alternate portraits but some have none at all. Playable characters get two pages (one with gameplay info), castle characters get only a single page. A good book heavy enough to kill a smaller mammal, but it's not...

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2060/artbook3es9.jpg

...this final one. Note the yellow borders and lots of character design sketches. I really want to find this, but I have no idea what the name or ISBN/ASIN is. Amazon Japan doesn't seem to have it. Can anyone help me track down this last one?
Last edited by Lo Wen Stalker on Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

That last copy is from the freebie artbook that was included in the Japanese LIMITED Edition of Suikoden V. It's not for sale. Try Auction sites instead.

But you also missed the next best thing: The 108 Stars artbook that was released recently. Unlike the above two guidebooks, that one is pure artwork, so it might be worth an investment, whether with or without the LE artbook as its complement.
Basel

Post by Basel »

patapi wrote:But you also missed the next best thing: The 108 Stars artbook that was released recently.
It is the first one in that list. Isn't posting images against the rules?