Suikoden, a postapocalyptic world?

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
Lovecraft_elder

Suikoden, a postapocalyptic world?

Post by Lovecraft_elder »

Sorry if this is not the right forum, couldn't match it to any of the others. Here goes...

Lately, I've been wondering about that question. Could Suiko be a post apocalyptic world?
Not necessarily after the end of our world, but after the end of the "old" Suiko.

Let's look at the evidence...

Short timeline: As far as we know, the first thing ever to be recorded in history is in Solis -2, where Harmonia is established. However, the events of Suikoden 3 take place in Solis 457, and we know that about 800 to 1000 years before the Second Fire Bringer War, there lived another race on Suiko, the Sindars.

We know that the Sindars had an advanced technology, and that they were independent of Runes. They used their technology in their everyday life to make it all easier, and compared to the technology of the current Suikoden world, they seem much more simple. In other words, the technology was far more advanced in the time of the Sindars, but it has decreased since then... when does technology decrease?... hmm...

Finally, we know that the Sindarians are no longer around. Legends say that they were forced to move around due to the True Rune of Change, however, all their temples and ruins are more or less destroyed... or at least pretty ravaged.
--------------------------

My thoughts are: Could the Sindarian race have been wiped out along with their cities, technology and the like? It seems pretty likely to me, however, there are evidence that may point towards that it is absolutely not.
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden, a postapocalyptic world?

Post by KFCrispy »

i don't understand why civilization losing technology/culture is post-apocalyptic.. we've lost many cultures and technologies in our own world and i highly doubt anyone says we're living in a post-apocalyptic world.

i would say post-apocalyptic is if the entire planet faces utter destruction, and the survivors are struggling just to find food.. like Chrono Trigger.

by the time the survivors develop into a thriving civilization and the world is robust with life, i don't think it's in a post-apocalyptic state any longer.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Under the same logic we are also living in a post-apocalyptic world as our world has been devestated by meteor impacts several times. After a certain time when the world has recovered it's just not post-apocalyptic any more.

The suikoworld appears to be pretty much thriving, and according to Luc's visions it's approaching an apocalypse rather than trying to recover from it.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Ness the Mess

Post by Ness the Mess »

I think this theory has more merit than you let on. Your analogy to our world is completely unfounded; there is absolutely no physical proof left of the Sindars. If such a group of competent people all disappeared as well as their technology, buildings, and livelihoods, it is not so odd to think that a single catastrophic event triggered such a happening. If this all happened 500 years before recognized history (and the founding of the 'first' nation, Harmonia) then it follows that it took 500 years after such an event for humanity to reassemble into measurable society.

Hypothosis: The True Rune of Change, attached to a naturalist/minimalist, wipes out 'civlization' (potentially the majority of humans) and gives birth to a new world of several independent species in order to prevent any one from ruining the known world with technology.