On the nature of dragons...

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
Quing

On the nature of dragons...

Post by Quing »

So, dragons. There are multiple things that are referred to as dragons throughout the Suikoden series.

The first dragon type is that used by the dragon knights. This type of dragon has four legs, two wings, and comes in multiple colors. This type of dragon lays eggs (as shown in Suikoden 2 on Mt. Rakutei). It seems that some of these (such as the dragon encountered in Suikogaiden Vol. 2) can breathe fire while some of them (such as Milia's dragon) can turn water into ice. This type of dragon can open portals to the world of wings and scales (as shown in Suikogaiden Vol. 2). The only places this dragon has been shown to exist are the area around the Dragon's Den, a small village in either the Grasslands or Harmonia, I've forgotten, and Mt. Rakutei.

The second type of dragon is the Eastern-Asian type of dragon referred to in the game only as "dragon". This is snakelike with four legs and no wings. It flies, can breathe fire, and can call down lightning. The only place one of these has been seen is in Pannu Yakuta.

The third type of dragon has two wings and no legs. It has fins, scales, bones and lays eggs. There are several variants in this category, with individual types including the land dragon, water dragon, rage dragon, cyclone dragon, flowing dragon, mother earth dragon, and flowing dragon. If I recall correctly, only the water and land dragons actually have breath attacks, while the others only cast spells of their particular element. The land dragon has been seen underneath Middleport, the water dragon has been seen on the high seas, and all of the others reside in the ruins of Obel.

The last type of dragon is the undead type. It appears to have the same body structure as the first type, but is in a state of decay. The only instances we've seen of these is the zombie dragon which resides in Tora castle previous to its possession by the Liberation Army, and the bone dragon which was summoned by Yuber. These both appear to have breath attacks.

Which brings us to the question. How are all of these related? Do they all come from the world of wings and scales? Are they all governed by the dragon rune? Where does dragon type #2 come from? Why do the legless dragons have wings if they live underground? Have I even posted this in the right forum? Does anyone else have any thoughts, information, cash, pizza, etc.?
Chaco

Re: On the nature of dragons...

Post by Chaco »

So, dragons. There are multiple things that are referred to as dragons throughout the Suikoden series.

The first dragon type is that used by the dragon knights. This type of dragon has four legs, two wings, and comes in multiple colors. This type of dragon lays eggs (as shown in Suikoden 2 on Mt. Rakutei). It seems that some of these (such as the dragon encountered in Suikogaiden Vol. 2) can breathe fire while some of them (such as Milia's dragon) can turn water into ice. This type of dragon can open portals to the world of wings and scales (as shown in Suikogaiden Vol. 2). The only places this dragon has been shown to exist are the area around the Dragon's Den, a small village in either the Grasslands or Harmonia, I've forgotten, and Mt. Rakutei.

The second type of dragon is the Eastern-Asian type of dragon referred to in the game only as "dragon". This is snakelike with four legs and no wings. It flies, can breathe fire, and can call down lightning. The only place one of these has been seen is in Pannu Yakuta.

The third type of dragon has two wings and no legs. It has fins, scales, bones and lays eggs. There are several variants in this category, with individual types including the land dragon, water dragon, rage dragon, cyclone dragon, flowing dragon, mother earth dragon, and flowing dragon. If I recall correctly, only the water and land dragons actually have breath attacks, while the others only cast spells of their particular element. The land dragon has been seen underneath Middleport, the water dragon has been seen on the high seas, and all of the others reside in the ruins of Obel.

The last type of dragon is the undead type. It appears to have the same body structure as the first type, but is in a state of decay. The only instances we've seen of these is the zombie dragon which resides in Tora castle previous to its possession by the Liberation Army, and the bone dragon which was summoned by Yuber. These both appear to have breath attacks.

Which brings us to the question. How are all of these related? Do they all come from the world of wings and scales? Are they all governed by the dragon rune? Where does dragon type #2 come from? Why do the legless dragons have wings if they live underground? Have I even posted this in the right forum? Does anyone else have any thoughts, information, cash, pizza, etc.?
I have a lot of Pizza but no cash I'm very much poor. i think this is in the right forum I dunno lol. And about your question which is wonderfull. If it's called a dragon it's governed by the dragon rune!

The one summoned by Yuber is from the World of emptiness where eh gets all his monsters. The one in lake toran used to be alive and died so it became an undead dragon. The legless dragons who have wings are stupid you see so they live underground!
The Pannu Yakuta one may have been a summon from Windy or Yuber or it was a random wild dragon, if thats the case it came fromt he world of wings and scales to.

Thats all I know. Use this information as you like.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
aerin

Re: On the nature of dragons...

Post by aerin »

The dragons have an essence (or nature) really different regardless of all other races cause they need a true rune to exist. The description of the dragon rune of suikosource website mention : "The Dragon Rune allows dragons to exist in this world.", so I think they are special, but not specially related to themselves. And yes, they all came from the dimension of scales and wings.
From the undead dragon of Toran Lake, I think it's because they can't die until the bearer of the dragon rune die too. He's just "gone back" to his dimension when he's defeated.