Suikoden and Muslim Culture

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
Templeton
Banned User

Suikoden and Muslim Culture

Post by Templeton »

It seems that the Suikoden world is going through a transition of different cultures which reflect our own.

Harmonia is said to be Russian, Jowston was East Asian combined with a little Medieval Europe (Matilda). They had Tinto with western style mining life. They have the Knight Hoods of the Grasslands and not to mention the countless cultures of the Races of Suikoden. Island life was displayed in Suikoden 4 and then there is Falena and their unique multiculture of their own. Toran had a Buddist Temple (Qlon) and Tinto again had a Holy priest from Harmonia.

But what I'm trying get at is what if the Suikoden world had a country where Muslim traditions thrive. Things like Muslim dress and Mosques that dominate the sky above all other buildings. It could have bazaars and perhaps camel calvary if things are war like in the game. They also invented many objects and concepts through mathamatics so feel free to express your own idea's and matters.

Any other idea's regarding this concept?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden and Muslim Culture

Post by Oppenheimer »

New Armes perhaps? It seemed to be vaugely middle eastern.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Caleria seemed Middle-Eastern as well, though that's only one town.

To me, Caleria reminded me of Saudi Arabia / Western Middle East, while New Armes was more Indian/Pakistani.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Caleria also reminded me of Saudi Arabia, with all the shops pitched outside and even the music had a muslim ring to it. New Armes looked like it had some kind of Muslim influence involed, with all the clans chiefs involed, which is exactly how some middle eastern countries are. They even dressed somewhat similair, with turbans and what not, even the names seem to have a hint.

Shin from Suikoden 2, might've been from one of these countries, with the way he dresses and even the sword he uses.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

There is a Middle Eastern culture in Sable, Caleria and New Armes. Also Dinn's sword has arabic names.

Manar al-Sana means The Year's Light

Najm al-Sabah means The Morning Star

Shams al-Zuha means The Evening Sun
"In war, truth is the first casualty" ~ Aeschylus
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

What Is Caleria? Suikoden III or Tactics?

What about Falena? Bit like East Rome? Constantinople?
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

What about Safir Clan? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Safir Clan is based on Muslim cultures (while Chisha is Mongol, karaya is Indian, etc) but they didn't really make any appearance in Suiko III. Caleria is definitely Saudi Arabian, there are camels there...
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Tsharr

Post by Tsharr »

If and when they finally put it into a game, I think the Southlands are going to be the closest thing you are going to get to Arabia. Both Shin and Kasim Hazil are from the Southlands and are heavily influenced by Arabic culture.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

"Southlands" only means "lands to the south," which includes Falena, Kanakan, among other nations. There's no nation specifically with the name "Southlands."

Also, Kasim Hazil is actually not from the south. He's native to the Senan area, which has it's own "desert culture."
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Searching for (Great) Moravia revealed the following:

- Moravia was the first West Slavic state, it's name derives from the Morava river between nowadays Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- an important element of Moravian defense was to hide behind strong fortifications which were difficult to besiege (and they probably had some castles).
- it is said that its population had ties with Iranian and Middle-Eastern territories, and that the peoples' dress resembles that of the Arabs, consisting of turban and overcoat (like Kasim and Taggart).
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
abc31

Post by abc31 »

Templeton wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:45 am It seems that the Suikoden world is going through a transition of different cultures which reflect our own.

Harmonia is said to be Russian, Jowston was East Asian combined with a little Medieval Europe (Matilda). They had Tinto with western style mining life. They have the Knight Hoods of the Grasslands and not to mention the countless cultures of the Races of Suikoden. Island life was displayed in Suikoden 4 and then there is Falena and their unique multiculture of their own. Toran had a Buddist Temple (Qlon) and Tinto again had a Holy priest from Harmonia.

But what I'm trying get at is what if the Suikoden world had a country where Muslim traditions thrive. Things like Muslim dress (thobe, abaya) and Mosques that dominate the sky above all other buildings. It could have bazaars and perhaps camel calvary if things are war like in the game. They also invented many objects and concepts through mathamatics so feel free to express your own idea's and matters.

Any other idea's regarding this concept?
now that you talk about it, I tell myself that in fact, we observe elements specific to the Arab-Muslim tradition