The Suikoden Tour Guide

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
sticky-runes

The Suikoden Tour Guide

Post by sticky-runes »

Pick any location from any of the Suikoden games and write a detailed description about it. The only rule is that you have to sound as positive as possible. We're trying to sell these places to visitors and potential buyers.

To start with, I've written descriptions for the strongholds of the four Imperial generals from Suikoden 1:

Pannu Yakuta
Escape to the peaceful countryside of the Eastern most reaches of the Scarlett Moon Empire in this airy castle with an impressive courtyard and spacious hallways. You can feel safe and secure within the embrace of the fort's thick walls to keep those forest critters out at night, and there's even a friendly live-in maid to tend to your needs. The castle interior is adorned with knight statues and the extravagant blood red carpets give a striking contrast to the castle's stony textures, and it even has its very own throne room with back passage leading up to the tower, which offers a magnificent clear view of the neighbouring elven forest.

Scarleticia

For those with a taste for finer things, this lavish rose-draped mansion looks like a cross between the Taj Mahal and a French chateau, with a dazzling array of polished gold, pink and scarlet furnishings. Take a stroll in the gardens inhabited with intricately trimmed hedges, delightful flower beds, sparkling fountains and classical Greco-Roman sculptures, and – ah! - breathe in the scent of those gargantuan roses hanging from the mansion's exuberant balcony. If you need some private time, there's a secret study hidden in the basement. Just a stones throw from the lively city of Antei, home of art and culture, this lavish palace is truly a sumptuous feast for the senses, as your ears will be filled with the harp playing of Kasios the bard, while the walls are adorned with stunning paintings by renowned artist Ivanov.

Moravia
An imposing stronghold on the northern most tip of the Scarlett Moon Empire, Moravia boasts an impressive cluster of towers reaching up to dizzying heights, reminding all your neighbours just who is in control around here. A convenient dungeon is located at the top of the highest turret to hold those troublesome guests who choose to overstay their welcome. Guards keep a constant vigil at the front door 24/7, while a receptionist is on duty in the foyer so you can guarantee you won't be disturbed during your private meetings and functions in the castle's atmospheric throne room.

Shezerezade

If you're looking for a more humble dwelling and don't mind getting your feet wet, this historical fort on the bank of Lake Toran is perfect for you. Relax to the sound of gushing water, and feel like a river god as you traverse the narrow passages leading to your own personal sluice gate which you can use to control the flow of the canal. With absolutely no rooms, this place has a great communal feel – why, even the roofs have been long since removed, and the hollowed out towers mean you don't have to worry much about expensive repair bills, should a fire break out in this charming aquatic palace.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Re: The Suikoden Tour Guide

Post by Wolkendrache »

Dear sticky-runesPublishers,
your beautiful descriptions of these locations had immediately led me to visit them.

Moravia
The castle is really impressive, and there are even two more fortresses of that kind nearby. I wanted to visit the turret you mentioned, but due to my acrophobia I couldn’t reach it because you need to climb over unsecured roofs to get there. But still, Moravia is really worth a visit, and I would’ve stayed longer, but I had no appropriate clothes for the harsh climate outside, and I was told there is no shop nearby to get some. Next time I’ll be prepared and will take a tour to the ancient wall that serves as the border to Jowston.

Shasarazade
It looks bigger on the map than it really is. I sailed past it three or four times until I found it. The most beautiful thing to find there is a journeyman’s crystal at one of the side entrances. Shasarazade is extremely disappointing. I spent one night without roof there, and the next morning there was a little turmoil because someone left a graffiti on the outer walls saying “Catch me if you can, bitch!” I wouldn’t really recommend the place.

Scarleticia
It is as enchanting as you described it, and so far it’s the most beautiful place by far, as if you enter a gate into a dream. However, maybe it’s just me, but after a while I couldn’t cope with the extreme perfume smell anymore. And the music played by the bard started to get annoying (even though I loved it at the beginning), but when I asked him to play something different he told me he couldn’t but he is looking forward to someday leave the castle to learn new songs. My recommendation: don’t forget ear and nose plugs if you plan to stay there overnight.

Pannu Yakuta
I was enthusiastically looking forward to visit that place, but unfortunately I couldn’t find it. I got to know that there’s only one way how to get there, by passing through a forest. I always ended up getting back to Great Forest Village. Weird. Please give us route descriptions to places hard to reach!

I do recommend reading sticky-runesPublishers Suikoden Tour Guide, 5/5 stars, all thumbs up, and I hope there’s more to come.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Dear Wolkendrache,

I am sorry hear that your search for Pannu Yakuta ended with disappointment. Unfortunately, a lot of my contacts have had problems reaching the scenic castle. However, I have been assured by the staff at Pannu Yakuta that they are currently working on a way to rectify this problem by eliminating some of the thick forest growth around the area, thus making passage to the castle much more convenient for travelers. Removing entire acres of forestry may sound like a costly and time consuming task, but I've been assured the staff have gained access to state of the art Dwarven technology, and I am utterly confident that the road to Pannu Yakuta will be cleared very soon.

Meanwhile, I hope you'll be pleased to know that I have booked an all expenses paid trip for you and a friend or loved one to the town of Kalekka. Just a stone's throw from the lively port of Kirov, Kalekka is a town steeped in fascinating history, and you'll feel inspired and invigorated by the stunning view of the mountains. I hope you'll enjoy getting to know the humble community of locals who will be more than happy to engage you with their knowledge of the town's culture. Surrounded by quaint, inviting houses with charming architecture, you'll feel like you've walked right into the past. This trip shall surely appeal to your sense of adventure!
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Dear sticky-runes travel agency,

I finally seized the opportunity to visit the ruins of Kalekka, or I should say, I tried to. When I arrived there I couldn’t spot any tourist information center, not even a sign. When I ultimately found a townsman, a strange farmer, he immediately chased me out of town after I accidently stepped on one of his seedlings. It’s not my fault, you can hardly see anything there because of all the dust.

After I escaped the mad farmer I travelled to Kirov and stumbled on a washing vessel in front of a house. My clothes needed washing, so I knocked at the door to ask if I could use the stuff outside but nobody answered. I decided to use it anyway. Unfortunately I had no pen and paper with me, otherwise I would’ve left a note saying “Sorry for using up all your soap. Please come to the inn and I’ll pay you money to buy more.” I hope the owner has more soap in storage. I’ll stay in Kirov for a while. Btw, it is a nice town, and the view on Lake Toran is breathtaking.

Thank you so much for your invitation to Kalekka. Unfortunately it was too much of an adventure to me.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan