The Final Spell of other True Runes?

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: The Final Spell of other True Runes?

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, he definitely says "Wind Rune...", which is pretty cryptic really. He comes equipped with a Wind Rune later, so it wasn't at all clear to me until at least Suikoden II that he's got the True Wind Rune. Possibly even part 3, as I don't remember if it's mentioned that he's using the True Wind Rune against Sasarai or not.

Isn't true magic/sorcery kind of rare in the main Suikoden universe? I remember Sarah was a big deal in 3 because she could do magic without runes. If that's correct it being just a spell and unrelated to the runes is pretty much impossible. I thought the rule was that any True Rune (or perhaps any rune of sufficient power) would allow the user to summon monsters? Or is that just the fan consensus and not Konami's official word?
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Well if we were to be factual about this, wouldn't we just trust the information given in the game rather than things said outside of it?

I seem to recall a similar outcry with Rowlings outing of Dumbledore. If it's not in the material itself, you can make your own impressions about it.

Something like that, I don't remember the whole thing and/or if it was something extra that I excluded.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, you can always interpret things however you want. However, if Rowling says Dumbledore is gay and his relationship with Grindelwald (whatever) was a young romance, then that's pretty much that. Somebody's original impression that they were carousing with loose women in local covens isn't important or persuasive. As I recall, a good chunk of the information about Middle Earth only exists in Tolkien's notes, but I don't think people run around saying that that information is on a plane even with their theory that Tom Bombadil created the world by peeing in the primordial ocean, because Tolkien never put those facts in something he tried to sell.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Yeah, agreed.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I agree the level 4 spells are just there for gameplay reasons. Kind of a pat on the back for the player having gotten that far into the game. there are some things that occur for storyline reasons and some things that occur for gameplay reasons. In Suikoden 4, the hero uses the Rune of Punishment to wipe out ships and avert an explosion, but in combat, the player uses it to summon magical swords and a weird mutilated angel that heals his friends. I think it might be more interesting to discuss what other abilities the runes have outside of combat.

And if you're talking about the Rune of Night, well, it's a rune that has incarnated as a living sword that can send people back in time and grow itself to an immense size and attack people with lightning bolts, who knows what else it's capable of? (Apparently Zerase knows, because she wishes she had it during her confrontation with the twilight rune!)