Blinking Rune Origins

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
The fighting 108

Re: Blinking Rune Origins

Post by The fighting 108 »

If there is a true time rune, I would think that the blinking rune that Viki has is somewhat related to it, but the Gate Rune genesis definitely sounds much more plausible at this point.
Jack of All Trades wrote:More importantly if you add up the total years between Suikoden 1 & 5, the difference is suprising. Suikoden 1 takes 3 years and Suikoden 4 takes 5 years. Suikoden 2, 3, and 5 all take up slightly less than a year apiece. So we can assume that Viki has seen between 7 & 8 years of Action. So, she at some point during the 5 games should be between 23 & 24 years old yet she's not.
To throw a little wrench into everything, Suikoden V, Viki doesn't remember Lorelai (who definitely remembers her), yet she remembers Jeanne (who she remarks to have run into frequently in many different places). While it might be that the incident was so insignificant to her that she didn't even think it worth remembering, or that her usual air-head self can't recall it. It also opens up the possibility that this Viki is in fact younger than all previous Vikies, or is a different Viki all together.
Jack of All Trades wrote:
2. We aren't seeing a single Viki so much as we are seeing a series of Paradox Duplicates of Viki or Viki's from Parallel Dimensions.
This got me thinking of the final episode of Futurama with all the paradox Benders in the basement marching out... it's equally if not more disturbing with a bunch of Vikies. Everyone evacuate the universe!
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I personally don't think the Blinking Rune is a lower tier version of the Gate Rune. The Gate rune connects worlds, by opening gates allowing passage. The Blinking Rune merely transmits objects or people, probably through some sort of wormhole, which would explain why Viki doesn't seem to age, sort of like time traveling in a way.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
FUUSUULUU

Post by FUUSUULUU »

It may be one of those random runes. Remember. There are only 27 true runes. There are around 4-5 times that many regular runes. Not all of those runes are necessarily directly related to a true rune.
So Sayeth the FUU.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

The problem is that there are no runes for which we know that they are 'random runes'. For all the runes, if we know their genesis, it is from a true rune. And since we only know 18 or so true Runes, and of those, there are only about 10 about which we know a substantial amount of information, it's hard to make (and support) the claim that a rune doesn't have a parent true rune. It's an argument from no data, or circumstantial data at best.

I'm not saying that my argument is rock solid. And I'll freely give it up if better data comes forth, like a true rune of time or whatever. I just think that it's the best answer for the current dataset.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Well, I agree that the parent of the Blinking Rune probably hasn't been revealed yet. As for True Runes that have been revealed, the Gate Rune is probably the best shot at it; but only because there isn't any other True Runes that come close to it.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

I wouldn't be surprised if Viki is actually being controlled by a higher being. Maybe Leknaat. The idea of her teleporting out just as the war was finished in 1 & 2 and then reappeared just where the hero was going in a sequel was cute. But then after it happened in S3, S4, and S5, I stopped thinking it was a coincidence. And she is a pretty important character in each. She's not an absolute neccesity as you could get around without being teleported, but her presence definetely helps. Maybe her true importance is still kept behind closed doors.

So maybe if Leknaat is the Executor of Balance only because of her half of the Gate Rune, then maybe under it's influence, she's guiding her "child" around for a purpose.

Or, the True Blinking Rune exists as an incarnation, like the Night Rune / Star Dragon Sword. It's been shown that the Star Dragon Sword can react on it's own and has access to it's own powers. So maybe the True Blinking Rune has taken on another form, say, the Blinking Mirror, and is bouncing Viki back and forth.

Or, it could just be a huge coincidence. Viki could honestly just be allergic to whatever furry creature is at the banquet at the end of each game, and sneezes taking her to random (yet very important) events in time and space, and her rune is just something she got out of a cracker jack box.

All I know, is that as goofy as Viki is, a girl who can sneeze and find herself 150+ years in the past, and then sneeze, and go back 150+ years into the future, is not a weak sorcerous.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Theres one minor detail I want to ask, does Gate Rune also controlling the flow of time? If yes then I think its very probable that Blinking rune is Gate Rune child. If not then Blinking rune parent must be another true rune that controll time.

Teleporting and time travel is two different thing.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

I don't necessarily think the Gate Rune controls time, but then I also don't think the Blinking Rune does either. For instance, in Superman, the Phantom Zone projector does not control the Phantom Zone, it just opens a portal to it to send criminals there.

So the Blinking magic might only be able to send people through time. When Viki teleports enemies off the battlefield, she might teleport them somewhere or somewhen. I don't think it says. But I mean, where does it say that when Viki sneezes and is teleported to another war, it is because she activated the Blinking rune? I think someone or something uses the guise of a sneeze to cover up it's own teleport magic, making it seem to everyone around her, that she blinked herself away.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Silverberg wrote:I don't necessarily think the Gate Rune controls time, but then I also don't think the Blinking Rune does either. For instance, in Superman, the Phantom Zone projector does not control the Phantom Zone, it just opens a portal to it to send criminals there.

So the Blinking magic might only be able to send people through time. When Viki teleports enemies off the battlefield, she might teleport them somewhere or somewhen. I don't think it says. But I mean, where does it say that when Viki sneezes and is teleported to another war, it is because she activated the Blinking rune? I think someone or something uses the guise of a sneeze to cover up it's own teleport magic, making it seem to everyone around her, that she blinked herself away.
I think you miss my point good sir. i didnt say that blinking rune controll the time. I said that maybe blinking rune's parent rune (if its not the gate rune) that controll the flow of time. Cause i heard that every true rune are controlling one of the aspects of the suiko world. Its must be a true rune that controlling time. If not gate rune maybe its circle or change or true hoolabaloo rune. And blinking rune must got the power of time travel from that true rune.

And just like you says, maybe blinking rune doesnt do the time travel thing. Maybe its parent rune. A sentient true hoolabaloo rune that has its own purpose for the suiko world. And if this is true, than surely viki is more than just a clumsy cute :wink: girl that randomly teleport herself to every war. She must serves as a tool for the true hoolabaloo rune to attain its purpose. Whatever it is.

But considering that the chance of survival of our beloved series is so very small, than maybe we never know the truth about her. :(
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

I hope we haven't seen the last of the series. I think we just need to give it more time. I'm still all for the creation of 2D games by Konami for download on the PSN. Then maybe we'll see Viki's origins
Wolf Kanno

Post by Wolf Kanno »

Honestly, if the Blinking Rune is the child rune of any of the 27 True Runes, my money is on it being the Rune of Change. Think about it, the Sindar civilization keeps being uprooted and travels the globe leaving pockets of it's culture and knowledge behind all because of one rune? I can't be the only person who feels this is possible because the Rune has literally been teleporting the Sindar people from place to place.

Now, if the "Eternal City" that Leknaat sends the Fog Ship captain is the same place the Sindar finally wound up in the records, then that would show that the Rune of Change has the ability to cross into other worlds, at which point, it's not a stretch of the imagination to believe it might also send them through time as well, if that is the case. The Blinking Rune has also shown to be able to not only cross through time, but considering the weirdness of encountering "Young Viki" in the Suikogaiden game in that other dimension, it seems like the rune can just go anywhere it wants to.
True beauty exists in things that last only for a moment...
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

No,no............
It's the child of the Rune of.........um Transport or maybe even.....um
GEOGRAPHY!!! :mrgreen: .
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!