afraid to make theories...

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Mio
Banned User

Re: afraid to make theories...

Post by Mio »

JanusThePaladin wrote:I think your response is kinda what he's talking about. When bidaman bought something to this page that we had never heard or seen, he was rediculed, and called a liar. When he proved himself to be true he was still rediculed about it.

I remember when i brought a few theories to this site, shortly after S3 cam out, that I was insulted indirectly and told i was flat out wrong. Not by everyone, but by some.

And the way you started off your response by nitpicking at the little things rather than just answering his concern is definitely childish and rude.

I believe that as this topic refers to the forum, and specifically the theories there in, it belongs here.

Go be oblivious somewhere else.
i see we have a little fan of my prose here (getting a little self obsessed here :D)

but nevertheless all of what i've said is true

i did answer his post concerning lesser people in this part of the forums

i was neither ridiculing bidaman nor was i being oblivious

prove me wrong and i'll bow out happily
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Keeping things vague and keeping things mysterious are two separate things. We have character such as Kenji, Lotte, Tony, Manu, Chisato, etc, for which we know virtually nothing about. We don't really know where they're from, their history, family, etc. However, people rarely care to know their background because these characters don't have anything mysterious about them.

Other characters who are intentionally made mysterious catches our interest, and that's basically a technique used in story-telling. To borrow Donald Rumsfeld's famous logic, having many "unknown unknowns" doesn't make a character interesting. A character becomes interesting when there are "known unknowns," such as hearing about Clive chasing after some woman, but not knowing who the heck she is. The same is true with Jeane, of whom we know seems to not age and is related in some way to Nagarea. We knew virtually nothing about her during Suikoden 1 so back then she was just as uninteresting as any other shopkeeper character. Only when we were fed some extra info about her did her mystique increase.

Thus, simply keeping information hidden doesn't make things interesting. You need to sprinkle traces of information to add a nice flavor to the overall character.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

and to add to that

usually this is what "reels" you in

the more mysteries revealed the more tightly you get hooked

then by leaving traces of more mysteries the reeling in repeats

if all is unknown and be left to imagination

well you've lost the getting "hooked" part and the writers will be reeling in nothing but empty hooks
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Nice one, Vextor and Mio. Now I know the REAL "Suikoden Tactics". hahaha.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Mio wrote:
JanusThePaladin wrote:I think your response is kinda what he's talking about. When bidaman bought something to this page that we had never heard or seen, he was rediculed, and called a liar. When he proved himself to be true he was still rediculed about it.

I remember when i brought a few theories to this site, shortly after S3 cam out, that I was insulted indirectly and told i was flat out wrong. Not by everyone, but by some.

And the way you started off your response by nitpicking at the little things rather than just answering his concern is definitely childish and rude.

I believe that as this topic refers to the forum, and specifically the theories there in, it belongs here.

i see we have a little fan of my prose here (getting a little self obsessed here :D)

Its not that you were wrong, its that you pulled a Supreme Court move and focused on everything but what he was intending to bring up.

But for your information, i've got nothing but respect for you Mio, everyone of your posts usually has a good point in it, and is well phrased. So i by no means was targetting you if you got that impression.
Tsharr

Post by Tsharr »

Mio wrote:

You totally need to change things up and write your posts in Haiku from now on. :P