How many 108 stars can there be at once

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
anakputa

Re: How many 108 stars can there be at once

Post by anakputa »

maybe if leknaat also showed herself when jowy and his so called "108 SOD's" and blabbed her long speech about... jk!

i think there can be only one gathering of the SOD at a certain time.
Yeah, Sierra, all this sun makes us cranky...
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

I think it is definitly possible, but just hasn't happened yet. It would be CRAZY if two armies gathered in one war, both governed by 108 star principle. They would both be destined to win. But, wichever side you chose would win.
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
SpecialNewb

Post by SpecialNewb »

Impossible. I think each Star has a Destiny. Once that Destiny is fulfilled (creation of the Island Nations, etc.) they stop being a star. What I wonder is if there always have to be 108 stars SOMEWHERE or if there are periods when NO stars are active.

If anything I could see a Suikoden wheren your 108 stars are split down the middle, but nothing more than that.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Redheim wrote:I think it is definitly possible, but just hasn't happened yet. It would be CRAZY if two armies gathered in one war, both governed by 108 star principle. They would both be destined to win. But, wichever side you chose would win.
Maybe one side is destined to lose, but they don't know? It's impossible for us to really understand Destiny, I mean, everything that happens is destined(if you believe in destiny), even if you thought you would have changed it.. it's destiny that you have changed it. So still, destiny.

So why shouldn't it be destiny for , for Example Jowy, to lose and in the End to complete the Rune of Beginning?

Still, I don't think that there can be two sets of SoD's fighting against each other. But I cannot really reason why not.
jbd86es

Post by jbd86es »

Maybe their the SoDs' destinies are not to win or lose, but to have an influence in the events around them, moreso than the average individual. When a major conflict arises in the Suikoden world, 108 individuals will determine, through their actions, how the conflict plays out.
And for the idea, that there could be multiple sets of 108 Stars of Destiny is intriguing, but I personally doubt it (but it still could be true) because in Suikoden 3, the 4 villains (Luc, Sarah, Yuber and Albert) were considered Stars of Destiny even though they fought against the other 104 Stars.
And for the duration of being a Star of Destiny, I think it is less a status that you are or are not, but more of how you are regarded by whatever force that labels people Stars of Destiny. I do not think people are simply Stars of Destiny only during times of war and that their status fades in peace time, but it is only relevant during major conflicts.
TrueVirtue

Post by TrueVirtue »

A few months ago I would have said 1.

After playings Tierkreis I'd have to say up to one for each world in the Infinity.
RangerDeon

Re:

Post by RangerDeon »

son_michael wrote:Nash was in the unicorn brigade in suikoden 2 and he was a star of destiny in suikoden 3. So I guess a person becomes a SOD when its there time to be 1. Lots of characters have returned as SOD for more than 1 war{viki,jeane,viktor,flik ect ect} and I think the reason for this is because being a SOD for a certain war is predetermined, if Jeane is in suikoden 6 as a SOD then its because she is destined to be in it, some people are meant to be stars once and some people are meant to keep that position for a while

im also of the oppinion that there can be 2 or more sets of 108 sod fighting in different locations

Please remember that this is all my oppinion and I really have nothing to back it up
I like this. It makes sense.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Zieg

Post by Zieg »

I had this theory a few years ago, that everyone in the Suikoden world is born under a particular star, but at the same time is bound to fates of different tenkais. With that in mind, I wouldn't consider it a temporary status. For instance, Nash was involved in the Dunan Liberation War and must have been a star at the time, but not one to be collected by Riou. Did he become a SoD 15 years after or was he a star from birth? Who knows, maybe each and every NPC in the series is waiting for one's own tenkai, though some are not given the opportunity to be befriended by one.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

I think it's more accurate to say that there is only one set of 108 stars in one place and time. So long as the second set of stars has no overlapping with the first, I don't see a reason why there couldn't be another set of 108 stars fighting in a completely separate location, like say on the as-of-yet-unseen western continent, as one of the conflicts portray already in a suikoden was taking place.

It would be unusual I think, as you suggest that there is yin and yang set of stars, the idea being that there is an anti-stars of destiny to each set of stars of destiny. For one thing, the idea is only really plausible in suikoden 2 or 5, but even then it couldn't be the same kind of group, since in either case the evil stars obviously lose to the actual stars of destiny.

It would be a different question I think to ask whether a single person could be in two different sets of stars simultaneously, and one where the answer appears to be no, since it's unlikely that a single person could devote themselves to two great causes at the same time.
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

Poor Kyril. He probably wanted to lead the next 108, but Leknaat was like "I just got done with the last stars of destiny the other day and I just brewed some tea. What do I look like, Santa Claus? You send me a letter, and poof, you got 108 stars under your tree? Look, kid, you got spunk, I admire that, but my union contract says I can only teleport into people's bedrooms to tell them something interesting like 5 times a year so unless you see a Scab Rune attached to my arm, you're on your own."

I mean, they might have 108 stars in different areas at once I suppose. It's probably not something Konami has bothered to think about. Like, would Superman's baby kick it's way out of Lois Lane type stuff. Multiple sets of 108 stars would explain why Leknaat never has time to hang around very long (or it could just take her a long time to find the castle given she's blind n' all)

Plus if you had say Suikoden 2 taking place at the same time as Suikoden VI then you'd probably mostly have new Stars of Destiny and not a lot of recurring characters you've seen in other games . . .maybe
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
Virande

Post by Virande »

i think there are more than one stone of tablets, but the 108 SoD can only in one set at time. From S2 there are possibilities that both Riou and Jowy are Tenkai and Jowy have the stone of tablet in Highland. Take sample for Leon SIlverberg which a Chikai Star at S1, and maybe he's also a Chikai Star at Jowy's S2, and share the same star with Klaus in Riou's side. We also know that Riou make alliance with Toran an have Valeria/Kasumi and Sheena as one of the star. Maybe Jowy do the similar moves with the Karaya and Harmonia, recruiting Lucia and Sasarai at his side and fill Jowy's SoD.

But there are some stars that only one person existed, maybe like Jeane and Viki which never shared their star in S1-S5. That's why Jowy never complete his 108 SoD, and never unlocked his Black Sword "Forgiver Sign", and makes Riou win the Dunan Unif War.

Since both Black Sword and Bright Shield are destined to fight each other, maybe we can said that "fight each other to complete the 108 and unlocked the final spell" to overcome the power and become the winner from the battle of the beginning, and become a complete rune. Since Riou complete his 108 SoD, his Bright Shield become stronger and caused the Black Sword become weaker. But Riou choose to not to fight Jowy who's lost in gaining 108 SoD. Maybe this caused the Forgiver Sign shares his 108 SoD to save Jowy and makes both the runes stands equally and understand each other.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

But there are some stars that only one person existed, maybe like Jeane and Viki which never shared their star in S1-S5. That's why Jowy never complete his 108 SoD, and never unlocked his Black Sword "Forgiver Sign", and makes Riou win the Dunan Unif War.
But that's because the two runes are just different. Jowy unlocks his 4th level spell normally, but their purpose is different. Bright Shield is defensive whereas Black Sword is aggressive. They basically retell the story of the beginning (that creation myth) and the struggle between shield and sword. Sword says it can destroy everything, shield says it can protect everything. In real terms, it means Riou cann take all of Jowy's bs, whereas Jowy is stupid. :wink:

I think there was a topic once where a possible SoD set for Jowy was discussed, but I seriously doubt he's collecting SoD's as well.
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

OMG Silverberg, your comment was too funny!

I remember reading somewhere, centuries ago.. that every character has their own star of destiny, even the bad guys... So I've always figured everyone has a predetermined star. It's just that some may never be a part of a particular 108 Stars, because they never have to go into war. That's the way I see it, so like when Tir makes an appearance in Suikoden II, he is still a Tenkai star, but he's not a part of that star of destiny batch... one could say.
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

hotspot wrote:OMG Silverberg, your comment was too funny!

I remember reading somewhere, centuries ago.. that every character has their own star of destiny, even the bad guys...

What about NPC?
borjitasstoi

Post by borjitasstoi »

Konami please i want collect more stars fullfill my empty heart