a reason for the relative easiness?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Ranarldo

a reason for the relative easiness?

Post by Ranarldo »

this is a little off the wall but, i got intrigued by the thought. People wonder the relative strength of the falenean military. i was pondering why the game was so much easier then prior suikodens, and i wondered if this was to demonstrate their actual power. Maybe not the strenght in numbers but the strength of their people. open discussion.
"I find my peace in the eye of the storm"
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

This series isn't exactly known for its difficulty.

That is if you discount III, IV and Tactics.
LadyChris

Post by LadyChris »

let's admit though, this was TERRIBLE easy. it was just really long because the enemies popped up very two steps.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I wouldn't say it was that easy. People who had never played Suikoden before and didn't know what runes worked well and to sharpen weapons and to get prosperty sets etc etc wouldn't necessarily have a super easy time. The formation abilities however kind of unbalanced things.

I don't think it was supposed to be symbolic though. It's just a trend with RPGs nowadays. FF does the same thing.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

Oppenheimer wrote:I wouldn't say it was that easy. People who had never played Suikoden before and didn't know what runes worked well and to sharpen weapons and to get prosperty sets etc etc wouldn't necessarily have a super easy time. The formation abilities however kind of unbalanced things.

I don't think it was supposed to be symbolic though. It's just a trend with RPGs nowadays. FF does the same thing.
i had a tough time because i didnt know i had the ability to change my guys until after dinns town.
couldnt find her for some reason
Psi Yamaneko

Post by Psi Yamaneko »

In retrospect it wasn't terribly hard, no. (IV was. . .insane to me. Difficulty-wise).

The formations DID unbalance things. Like True Men? Criminy.

But for some reason there was something about it that made me very happy and satisfied when I beat it.
"And you shall wake, from country sleep, this dawn and each first dawn,
Your faith as deathless as the outcry of the ruled sun.
"
Dylan Thomas
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The trend is that they have been progressively reducing the reliance for grinding in RPGs, which is what most earlier RPGs rely on to make their games more difficult, and in turn, make their RPGs longer with filler bosses.
Magnumkiller

Post by Magnumkiller »

Yeah, personally I like how they took off the whole grinding buisness.

And about the game, if you have played the other four games, chances are by now you know which runes to get to your people, how to sharpen weapons, how to make money (Chinchirorin was the best in Suikodens 1 and 2) etc... So you got used to playing Suikoden now.

I agree the formations changed something.

Another thing, where you using Zerase? She makes the game a whole lot easier (I never died in the game until I reached the final boss. Died like four times there because I forgot to arrange my formation before it :( )
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Magnumkiller wrote: Another thing, where you using Zerase? She makes the game a whole lot easier
Unless you go up against archers. Having her when you're in Stormfist is a pain. She died so many times becuase all the archers would target her and she can't stand more than 1 or 2 hits.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Most RPGs don’t focus on game play, but tend to put most effort in conveying the story or development of characters. Many of the events that happen are done to further relationships between characters or the plot, usually not to show off a game play mechanic. Even the games that claim to do something radically new with their battle systems usually find a comfort zone early on within their world changing new combat system. (The Tales series isn’t that revolutionary, is it?) There are always exceptions, Fire Emblem’s unforgiving nature is the best I can think of now, but generally I don’t think difficulty in RPGs is the point; perhaps a side quest or afterthought at best. It would be like writing a book that was intentionally hard to read; it would never get published.

As others have said, if you’ve played previous Suikodens then you know how to ease the pain of V’s already low difficulty, but if not I don’t think anyone would find this game terribly hard to get through.
Magnumkiller

Post by Magnumkiller »

I meant more as in, inside the party.

And I found the Star Rune supplied with one of the merchants (Added 1 more use to the special) was really useful to have around.
Keebo

Post by Keebo »

I think the game was easier because, with a random battle every few steps, how could you ever not level up enough to keep up with the increasing difficulty of the enemies? :wink:

I didn't mind the battles all that much, it's just... so many of them!
lucreborn

Post by lucreborn »

the game was easy besides the darn ship and land battle combos where you try to make a certain ship attack another ship but the game stops you because a land group engages and vise versa. Really annoying if you ask me....
"I've always been alone, ever since I was born." ~luc suikoden 3~
GrayMercury

Post by GrayMercury »

I totally agree....I almost lost everyone of those because i never got the chance to make the small changes....i think this was the first video game i threw the controller as well as cussed my way through it...lol...i got lost in cities, missed characters because i didn't walk through alleyways and whatnot...it was just crazy. Difficulty on the battlefield with ships and footsoldiers as well as finding your way around towns was what did me in....runes and formations along with leveling and junk like that didn't really cause me problems.
"Master, Violence is Wrong." - - Dongo (SV)
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Overall this game wasn't that difficult. Ofcourse, there is the sidequest of recruiting Eresh, with its painful navigation. The boss at the end was very strong. I agree though it is a trend, probably to attract a younger audiance to the game. After all you don't want to play a game where, that makes you throw your controller at the screen every 5 minuties. The Shin Megami Tensei series would be an exception to me, notably the persona installments and nocturna, if you thought random battles where bad, you haven't seen anything yet. But the games rock, though =D

What I do like about every suikoden, is that the last boss takes concentration and effort in defeating it. Especially in IV, God that guy was hard and powerful, I also had a hard time with the sun rune ricar in SV, until I re-thought my strategedy.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden