Geddoe and the Calerian Fruit Vendor

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
thcrock
Global Admin

Geddoe and the Calerian Fruit Vendor

Post by thcrock »

So, after transcribing this scene, I'm wondering what it all means. Here's the scene:

------------------------------
Shopkeeper: Hello, need help finding something?
Geddoe: What do you have that's in season?
S: We have this blue fruit from the north. Would you like a taste?
G: How much is it?
S: Highway bandits have driven up the price. How about 4?
G: That stuff you sold me last time was crap. How about 2?
S: That was just bad luck. It was already over by the time you got it. 3 and a half.
G: It was over? There was no trace of anything. Are you saying it vanished into thin air? How about 3?
S: You drive a hard bargain, but you've always been good to me. I'll do it for 3.
G: Glad to see you still have a good memory.
S: It's part of being good in business. Here you go.
---hands Geddoe the bag of fruit---
G: Thanks
S: There's more. There's a letter for you from that man. I put it in there.
G: Good. He's always dependable.
S: Bothersome is more like it, sir. Like a rash that won't go away.
G: Maybe so.

------------------------------

The only stuff that I draw from that is that the 'blue fruit from the north' is definately Le Buque (that scene is right before Geddoe decides to go to Le Buque), and 'that man' is Salome. What I don't know, is could the stuff that 'was over before you got there' be Karaya? Also, is there a significance to the highway bandits or haggling prices or are they just there to cloak the important stuff?
Argento Breesa

Post by Argento Breesa »

What I don't know, is could the stuff that 'was over before you got there' be Karaya?
I don't think it would be Karaya. My reason for that would be because Geddoe and the others were there before the place was set on flames.
Also, is there a significance to the highway bandits or haggling prices or are they just there to cloak the important stuff?
If they were talking about Karaya Village, then I think the 'highway bandits' might be the Zexen Knights and the 'price' might have been the deaths of people that were killed when the village was burning. :?
"If you have nothing better to say to me, then leave me alone." -me
Suikoman444

Post by Suikoman444 »

I don't think what was sold to geddoe last time was the Karaya village incident because Geddoe says it vanished into thin air and Geddoe watched as the village was burnt down. It could be something to do with the Higheast Rebellion though.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I'm aware of Geddoe being at the Karaya Village before it burned down, but the reason I brought it up is that Geddoe's "over before I got there" remark may have been referring to, perhaps, some information he was trying to get by going to the Karayan Village. Perhaps he was led to believe that going to the village would be fruitful to his mission, but instead he found nothing of importance.
Baka_no_fool

Post by Baka_no_fool »

Ah in my opinion, that man may be Nash or jimba/wyatt lightfellow.....

Why is it nash?
Well, nash is a spy workin for da harmonia, there is of course a chance to be him.

Why is it Jimba/wyatt?
In the comic book, after the incident in the Le buque, geddoe had a meeting with Jimba/wyatt and Jimba said that he is sorry to have called Geddoe and then they have a talk.
"Hee hee hee... I'm Flik! Teeheehee!"
"Hee hee hee... This is fun."
"Hee hee hee... Merciless, cruel, brutal, atrocious, cold-hearted, ruthless attack. Teeheehee..."
-Landis-
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Jimba seems to be a possibility, but Salome actually seems to influence Geddoe's actions more than anybody else in the game, so I figured it would be him.
Baka_no_fool

Post by Baka_no_fool »

Now, there is another mystery... If Jimba is the one wrote da letter, why does he need to be so secretive... why does not he just go and find geddoe himself. I mean he could just go and wait for geddoe to return to caleria... or he could just give the letter to the inn keeper and asked da inn keeper to pass it to geddoe once he return......
"Hee hee hee... I'm Flik! Teeheehee!"
"Hee hee hee... This is fun."
"Hee hee hee... Merciless, cruel, brutal, atrocious, cold-hearted, ruthless attack. Teeheehee..."
-Landis-
Argento Breesa

Post by Argento Breesa »

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the letter from Salome? Isn't that while Geddoe and group went to the North Cavern?
"If you have nothing better to say to me, then leave me alone." -me
Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

I don't think the fruit vendor could be either Nash or Jimba. Firstly, he's situated there in Caleria for the entire game, while both Nash and Jimba join the Fire Bringer.

[spoiler]Also, Jimba dies, so he couldn't be magically alive in Caleria later in the gam[/spoiler]
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Yeah, it seems that Salome is definately established as 'that man' now.

Its the middle part of the conversation that is still cloudy to me.
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

Hmm, what's the literal translation of this conversation in the Japanese version?
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Spambi

Post by Spambi »

In the third Manga, Geddoe does get a letter from the Calerian fruit vendor, but I'm pretty sure in the manga it's from Jimba. When they meet up, Jimba says something along the lines of "Sorry to call you out here," and Geddoe has no affiliation with Salome at all in the manga.
YuberClone

Post by YuberClone »

[spoiler]

Geddoe and company were in Karaya looking for the Fire Bringer rumors. A contact of Geddoes, most likely Salome, dropped that hint. So Geddoe went to investigate with his old friends Jimba and Zepon. with that being said, i suspect the previous sale that Geddoe and the Fruit Vendor talk about I suspect happened before the start of the game. because i think Joker or Ace has said they had been in Vinay del Zexay for some time, months maybe. [/spoiler]
Suiko4, wasn't the best in the series, but other franchises have done worse. Remember Final Fantasy Mystic Quest??
LunasMeow

Post by LunasMeow »

It's quite obviously a code. For those who read the Wheel of Time series, you should recognise Daes Dae Mar. 'The Great Game'. Here is a translation of sorts. (Translation in bold.)

Shopkeeper: Hello, need help finding something?
What kind of information are you looking for?
Geddoe: What do you have that's in season?
Any information on what's been going on lately? Or, anything useful?
S: We have this blue fruit from the north. Would you like a taste?
We've got something. Perhaps the color of the fruit dretermines how good the information is?
G: How much is it?
Exactly what he says. How much is it gonna cost him?
S: Highway bandits have driven up the price. How about 4?
Getting this info was dangerous and/or costly. 4 for 400? 4,000? money obviously.
G: That stuff you sold me last time was crap. How about 2?
Your last bit of info wasn't helpgul at all. I'm not paying that much. 200? 2000? Once again obviously money.
S: That was just bad luck. It was already over by the time you got it. 3 and a half.
Not my fault, whatever happend was probably because you took to long getting there. (Or something along those lines. Remember they started in Zexen lands by following a clue.)
G: It was over? There was no trace of anything. Are you saying it vanished into thin air? How about 3?
Well what happend to it/him/her whatever they were after. Are you saying it/him/her jusst disappeared? 300? 3000? Money again.
S: You drive a hard bargain, but you've always been good to me. I'll do it for 3.
Exactly what he said. That's really to cheap but you're a good customer. And he probably owes him for something Geddoe did in the past.
G: Glad to see you still have a good memory.
More hinting that the man owes him for something.
S: It's part of being good in business. Here you go.
---hands Geddoe the bag of fruit---
It's a deal. 300? 3000? Paid. And letter given but he doesn't know about the letter, just the info.
G: Thanks
Thanks
S: There's more. There's a letter for you from that man. I put it in there.
Telling him about the letter from Salome of Jimba. Salome in the game, Jimba in the manga. (Not the first time discrepancies appear in series that are both games/anime and mangas.
G: Good. He's always dependable.
Good he has good information.
S: Bothersome is more like it, sir. Like a rash that won't go away.
Yes, but he's a bother. Just like he says. It's just normal talk now.
G: Maybe so.
True.

Got it now? He just was hiding his source from others by speaking in code. Peole usually do that to keep their spies from being known by other people. Of course it's usually more secret, but for us they made it simple.
Nekomancer

Post by Nekomancer »

Marshmallow wrote:I don't think the fruit vendor could be either Nash or Jimba. Firstly, he's situated there in Caleria for the entire game, while both Nash and Jimba join the Fire Bringer.

[spoiler]Also, Jimba dies, so he couldn't be magically alive in Caleria later in the gam[/spoiler]
They aren't saying who the fruit vendor himself is, they are saying who the letter is from.
As I'm sick of new topics asking for pictures, PM me if you want any okay? I have a wealth of Suikoden pics saved(5k+) I'm glad to share. Couples are fine too (regardless of gender.) Just do NOT post any more topics about it. Please. It really irks me.