Bright Shield and Black Sword combined attack, possible!??

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Bright Shield and Black Sword combined attack, possible!??

Post by suiko2fan2 »

One of the cool things about suikoden has always been the extra rune combo attacks. Such as, lightining and fire give you blaze camp and water and wind give you water dragon, etc...SV really took it the next level as those who played know. The Twilight and Dawn runes could be combined to do the "creation" attacks which was devastatingly powerful.

On that note, It would have amazing if in SII, if the Bright Shield and Black Sword could have been combined to do some kind of combo attack. It would have been interesting to see these 2 runes, which are stronger than the sun support runes. in action during battle..Rune of Beginning indeed!!
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Bright Shield and Black Sword combined attack, possible!??

Post by patapi »

This made me wonder. Dawn and Dusk Runes were given a magic unite, but they weren't True Runes. Whereas those elementals from Suikoden III had none whatsoever, despite how in every game besides itself have retained the elemental magic unites.

Would the Sword and Shield halves of the Rune of Beginning be associated with the first category, or the second?
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

patapi wrote:This made me wonder. Dawn and Dusk Runes were given a magic unite, but they weren't True Runes. Whereas those elementals from Suikoden III had none whatsoever, despite how in every game besides itself have retained the elemental magic unites.

Would the Sword and Shield halves of the Rune of Beginning be associated with the first category, or the second?
Its hard to say, because to the best of our knowledge separate true runes can't combine attacks, as you mentioned about S3. However while being considered a "true rune" or half whatever, they are cut from the same 'Beginning' Clothe, Just as the dawn and twilight are sun oriented. Nonetheless, its hard to say, but if the shield and sword could combine it be pretty epic I imagine.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

I'm not supprised that they can't combine. Even though they're both part of the same True Rune I always considered them conflicting elements like Fire and Water.

Its different for the dawn and Twilight runes because even though they are opposites they arn't really all that different in my eyes. but the problem with the argument is if they Dawn and Twilight runes can combine attacks then that means the Sun and Night should be able to aswell which means that there really isent a reason for Sword and shield to not combine.

The easy answer is lazy animators.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Sun and Night has never appeared usable together.

The game is easy enough without Sword and Shield combo.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I guess they just didn't implement it because Jowy leaves your party quite early, so you most probably won't have Lvl 4 Rune Magic available. Actually, you just could use it in your fight against Gorudo.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

patapi wrote:Sun and Night has never appeared usable together.

The game is easy enough without Sword and Shield combo.
I was implying that if sun and night were usuable you should be able to if Dawn and twilight are becuse its all basicly the same rune. (Sun and Night spilt created dawn an twilight etc etc)
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

No, those two have been established as separate True Rune entities.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

patapi wrote:No, those two have been established as separate True Rune entities.
ya but in the lore they were connected as 1 regardless if they were thought of as 2 which would to me be reason enough that they could combine.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

And thus, the sword and shield from the origin story could combine back into the tear because they were once the same entity.

^^^=sarcasm. Either give us better detail on your logic when called on it, or give us more complete posts so we can better understand your rebuttals. Thanks
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

but the problem with the argument is if they Dawn and Twilight runes can combine attacks then that means the Sun and Night should be able to aswell which means that there really isent a reason for Sword and shield to not combine.
Why should Sun and Night combine? That doesn't make sense; they're opposite "elements"

On the other hand, Dawn and Twilight (wasn't the Japanese Name "Dusk"?) are basically the same: The phase between night and day/day and night. So they are actually very similar to each other.

What would make sense are Combos of Sun and Dawn/Twilight or Night and Dawn/Twilight.

About Sword and Shield:
The easy answer is lazy animators.
Actually, I agree, but the animator's weren't lazy enough to implement a Rune Combo of Soul Eater and Bright Shield. And you use it only in one fight which is even optional.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

If you pay attention to the storyline you'll see why a Shield and Sword combination attack is completely ridiculous and absurd.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:If you pay attention to the storyline you'll see why a Shield and Sword combination attack is completely ridiculous and absurd.

I dont think its anymore absurd then the elements being compatible with one another. seriously, should fire and earth be compatible or wind and water? It's no so unrealistic to imagine that 2 runes drawing from the source of the power (the rune of beginning) couldn't they have a unite attack.

Best Suiko FanFic:
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Yeah, two runes that are designed to FORCE THE USERS TO FIGHT EACH OTHER are going to have a combination attack, the very opposite of their intent. *facepalm*
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

JanusThePaladin wrote:And thus, the sword and shield from the origin story could combine back into the tear because they were once the same entity.

^^^=sarcasm. Either give us better detail on your logic when called on it, or give us more complete posts so we can better understand your rebuttals. Thanks
My reasoning is that the Sun and Night runes were once connected. while they were considered 2 they were really 1.

If Dawn and Twilight can combine and they were once part of said runes it woulden't be so farretched to think that Sun and Night may combine aswell.