Most characters caucasion?

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Jimba

Re: Most characters caucasion?

Post by Jimba »

There is a town of people who aren't caucasion (S3). It is Caleria. Karaya village people are debateable but the villagers in Caleria are obvious. Although, I don't see what race has to do with the series.
"Old heroes should die eventually to wish to have an eternal life....is unnatural after all." Jimba-- "Father" Chris -- "I was not a good father to you Chris goodbye." Jimba
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

StalkerPizza wrote:There is always at least one black person in each game, a few tan-skinned people (don't know what to call them), and a few others.
The percentage of Caucasian people is probably around 75%
You really cant make a statement like this and then only prove (possibly, i still dont agree with Zegai) 3 out of 6 examples.

Author wrote:
KFCrispy wrote:Zegai and the other Armes characters look like they're designed after Middle Eastern people, especially with Jidan's hair wrap (http://www.suikosource.com/chars/list/?char_id=526).
I think what they wear mostly has no real relation in the real world. It's possibly just some sort of fashion...

I would strongly disagree with this statement. If you look at the attire of the knights of Zexen, or the Matilda knights you see clothing that obviously relates to the time period in our world when similar countries would exist. The clothing of the Karayans resembles something one would imagine very modest native americans to wear. Then look at the school clothes and overall atire of the members of the Greenhill city state and you see what you would expect in our would to see people living in an academic community to wear. If you look at the average citizen of Tinto, you see overalls, which look like they may possibly be made of Denim. If thats not what you'd expect an entire town devoted to labor to be wearing, what would you expect in our world?

Overall, that statement seems atleast a bit misinformed. Given the evidence of previous games and character clothing, it is not at all far fetched to find something resembling a Middle Eastern Society in the New Armes Kingdom.
StalkerPizza

Post by StalkerPizza »

Ok, since my statement was wrong:
2/5 games have 1 black person in it, most of the games have some tan-skinned people/"asians"/etc. There are many "caucasians" in each suikoden game.

Better? >_>
Examples of various skin colors: Karaya, Raftfleet, Armes, Samus, Hauser, Lo Siblings, Pecola, Reinhold
The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom
-Nyx Avatar from Persona 3-
calimier

Post by calimier »

I am think we should change that by making a game with java script on suikosorce with the same bases / character development but change it into a MMORPG to gain attention to the suikoden sires and make it a little more Japanese to spread the word about suikoden and pressure Konamia to make more games in the USA of the sires sort of like free civ. Thats our opinion whats yours.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

ok, valid point, but what does that have to do with the topic at hand?
calimier

Post by calimier »

Idk it was on my mind at the time
Author

Post by Author »

JanusThePaladin wrote:
StalkerPizza wrote:There is always at least one black person in each game, a few tan-skinned people (don't know what to call them), and a few others.
The percentage of Caucasian people is probably around 75%
You really cant make a statement like this and then only prove (possibly, i still dont agree with Zegai) 3 out of 6 examples.

Author wrote:
KFCrispy wrote:Zegai and the other Armes characters look like they're designed after Middle Eastern people, especially with Jidan's hair wrap (http://www.suikosource.com/chars/list/?char_id=526).
I think what they wear mostly has no real relation in the real world. It's possibly just some sort of fashion...

I would strongly disagree with this statement. If you look at the attire of the knights of Zexen, or the Matilda knights you see clothing that obviously relates to the time period in our world when similar countries would exist. The clothing of the Karayans resembles something one would imagine very modest native americans to wear. Then look at the school clothes and overall atire of the members of the Greenhill city state and you see what you would expect in our would to see people living in an academic community to wear. If you look at the average citizen of Tinto, you see overalls, which look like they may possibly be made of Denim. If thats not what you'd expect an entire town devoted to labor to be wearing, what would you expect in our world?

Overall, that statement seems atleast a bit misinformed. Given the evidence of previous games and character clothing, it is not at all far fetched to find something resembling a Middle Eastern Society in the New Armes Kingdom.
If you were an artist, you would surely imagine it so. What I mean to say is there's no factual relationship with the real world. It doesn't have anything to be with the Indians or whatsoever. If it didn't completely have a relationship to the real world, then I would credit that artist for being super creative.

The relations were not completely intentional and not meant to be taken (skin color and fashion sense) into detailed with history and whatsoever. It might be trailed and get clues about it, but that's common sense.
ChaosMan

Post by ChaosMan »

IMO... Suikoden is already colourful... you can see Humans, Elves, Kobolds, Winged Hordes, Dwarves, maybe someday they'll even get some of the Monsters for the character LOL.

If you mean more colors on human characters... well, we got Eilie Rina & Bolgan (Represent Gyptian), Karaya Tribe (Represent Native American), Ninja's & Samurai's (Represent Japanese), A lot of Chinese, (I forgot his name) the dreadlocked hair werewolf in two river city (Represents Rasta's LOL), some european culture from Milich, Simone & Vincent and a lot more.

Some city names even represent some country, like Two River City for ex... I think this city represents Iraq, the Iraqi people often call their country as The Land of Two Rivers (Tigris & Euphrates) and I don't think this is a coincidence.

what do you say ?
- I'm A Big Fan Of Suikoden -
e812nayr

Post by e812nayr »

If you read older manga, ones that were made a while back before Japanese RPG or Manga are popular in America. You'll know that most of the characters are intended to be Japanese, but look White. It's just a style in look. Like green hair, blue hair, red hair, etc. Blonde or light hair color are just meant to be cosmetic or preference of the artist/creator. Unless it is define in the game/manga, even if a character is white looking, they probably meant to be Asian. Another exception would be the creator...since nowadays Japanese isn't the only ppl that are in the industry anymore. (Also a good example would be Dr. Slump, when Midori the wife of Senbei met his Grandfather. He thought she was a foreigner because of her features, blonde hair and blue eyes-i believe that was the traits he mention. However Senbei correct him that she is not a foreigner, but Japanese.) There are many characters in other manga/rpgs that are meant to be japanese/asian, but was featured looking European. I do think they try to make it clearer nowadays though.
princemjd

Post by princemjd »

Man I wish they would bring back this series
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Asian type characters:
Ninja characters such as Kasumi, Sasuki, Watari, Ayame, Akaghi and Mizuki
Samurais such as Hazuki, Genshu and Rikimaru
Fisherman characters such as Tai Ho and Yam Koo, Ugetsu and Shiramine
Cooks such as Hai Yo and Shun min
Doctors such as Liukan, Huan and Yu
Priests such as Fukien and Gantetsu

Some of these characters look more asian than others, but then Japanese artists rarely make their characters look Japanese because they always go for bigger eyes which are not entirely realistic, but are more expressive.

Then there are dark skinned characters such as the Karaya tribe and people of Na Nal.

The people of Armes are a Persian like race.

And of course, there are kobolds, lizardmen, beavers and the duck clan who don't have any skin colour because they are covered in fur, feathers or scales.