Reasons why Pesmerga sucks.

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
sticky-runes

Reasons why Pesmerga sucks.

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah yeah, I know people's reasons for liking Pesmerga: he's got black armour and lots of HP and can hit hard. But lets talk about what's really going on underneath that horned helmet.

Latecomer
He's one of the last people you can recruit. That means he can't join until you've practically finished the game, i.e. defeated most of the powerful villains and liberated most of the country – without any input from the Dork Knight. Did he help us take down Luca Blight or Neclord? Nope. Viktor, Humphrey and Rikimaru have stood by me since the early stages of the game, am I really gonna give either of them up so Pesmerga can have a spot in my party? I don't think so. :twisted:

No character development
In Suikoden 1, he's searching for Yuber. In Suikoden 2, he's... searching for Yuber. Whoa, such a complex character. Look at other returning characters in S2: Flik has matured and no longer acts brashly, Apple becomes more heavily involved with strategies and building our forces, and Futch discovers a new dragon and finally comes to terms with Black's death. Even Clive has closure to his personal story if you can be bothered to pursue it.
What happens when you have recruited Pesmerga before fighting Yuber in both games, giving him the opportunity to fight his nemesis? Absolutely F#ck All. :evil:

Can't achieve his personal goals
In Suikoden 1 we find him in Neclord's castle, which is understandable, since Neclord is affiliated with Yuber, so there might be some clues there. In Suikoden 2, we find Pesmerga in the Cave of the Wind - which isn't even where we fought Neclord, it's where we retrieved the Star Dragon Sword. We confronted Neclord in the North Window ruins, which became our HQ, so shouldn't Pesmerga have gone there instead? Not forgetting that Pesmerga doesn't even appear until after we have killed Neclord in Tinto, several weeks or months after we got the Star Dragon Sword out of the Cave of Wind, so you're WAY behind there, Pesmo. :lol:

"I'll join you when your castle is bigger"
Why does he care how big our castle is? It's not like Pesmerga's got a group of followers or buddies to move in with him. Does he have a big wardrobe, with a vast selection of black pointy shoes and ochre capes? I guess he wants more space away from people so he can be alone and dabble in his emo poetry or something. :cry:

No relations
Except for Yuber (we still don't know what the story is between them and I stopped giving a sh!t ages ago) Pesmerga doesn't have affiliation with any other character in the game. No ties to any homeland we know of. No unite attacks with anyone, no dialogue with any other characters. Now, aren't human emotions and relationships one of the most appealing things about Suikoden? Seeing characters build friendships and experiencing betrayal and tragedy, and overcoming obstacles and hardships together? Then we get a black knight who doesn't connect with anyone. How inspiring. :roll:

Generic
When I'm playing a Suikoden game I sometimes forget that I'm experiencing a fantasy world because Suikoden is such a character driven story, where the monsters and magic often take a back seat to all the intrigue and political drama that's going on. Then we have Pesmerga who is just blatantly a black knight that could be used in any generic fantasy story. He doesn't represent any thing that is unique or exclusive to the Suikoden world. He's just a shallow excuse for a character in a game full of far more appealing characters.

So there. :P
BrucePrintscreen

Re: Reasons why Pesmerga sucks.

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Marry me :D

Do the same with Sierra and I marry you twice.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

you read through that quick :shock:

But anyone who enjoys my rants deserves me :mrgreen:
BrucePrintscreen

I read it twice before posting because I loved it so much :P
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

1 minute! Bruce, what if sticky had wrote something like "Pesmerga sucks for the same reason why Georg and Eileen suck...", you would have surely regretted your marriage proposal. :lol:

sticky, I believe most people just agree. You should come up with some pro-Pesmerga arguments to force people to go against it. Moreover, name the thread "Why do people dislike Pesmerga?" (and pretend to not know) and you'll see hate rants raining down... :wink:
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I was originally going to use the title "Reasons why Pesmerga is a cunt" but I normally only post C-bombs when I log on after having a few drinks.

I got the inspiration for starting this topic when I saw a recent post on the facebook Suikoden Revival page with all these fans praising Pesmerga and I was so disgusted that I wanted to express my distaste for the character on here.
Willster328

Post by Willster328 »

I actually wasn't a Pesmerga fan until Yuber in Suikoden 3. It wasn't until Yuber revealed that he embodied the "Chaos" side of things, where it truly kind of hit home about Pesmerga being the "Order" side of things. To me, each of them is more than man, they're deities. Symbolic of the Sword vs Shield within the origin of the True Runes.

And that just as Yuber is continually part of the undoing of the universe, Pesmerga is the symbolic battle to combat that. To me, Pesmerga became more than a dude in a suit of armor, he became a container for something more symbolic of the series with greater ramifications down the line (that will now invariably never happen).

And with Yuber rumored to have one of the True Runes, it would fall that Pesmerga also has a True Rune. Then again, I'm a sucker for symmetry between characters, so I eat all this up.

No relations
Except for Yuber (we still don't know what the story is between them and I stopped giving a sh!t ages ago) Pesmerga doesn't have affiliation with any other character in the game. No ties to any homeland we know of. No unite attacks with anyone, no dialogue with any other characters. Now, aren't human emotions and relationships one of the most appealing things about Suikoden? Seeing characters build friendships and experiencing betrayal and tragedy, and overcoming obstacles and hardships together? Then we get a black knight who doesn't connect with anyone. How inspiring
This is actually what makes him so iconic in my eyes. Is that his interests and relation to the world are entirely tied to Yuber in the eternal fight between them. And that he doesn't care for things in the material world, but more about the universe itself.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Again, I agree to what sticky-runes said about Pesmerga, there’s not much left for criticism, so I was thinking about what would have improved Pesmerga...
In my opinion, he should be a non-playable character, I mean like Gilbert and Ridley. Moreover he should interact with the army at least. If his goal is to destroy Yuber, then he should train the soldiers and lead a war unit instead of hiding in a shadowed corner within the headquarters. If that was the case, we could at least say he’s trying to achieve his goal and it would make some sense that he’s only joining when the army is big enough in his opinion and thus being a latecomer. As for relation and character development, I partly agree to what Willster328 said. Yes, Pesmerga’s mystery made me curious and excited, but you have to reveal something once in a while to keep that excitement up. S2 didn’t develop anything further concerning Pesmerga, so I was damn disappointed, although I didn’t even expect to clear everything up like what was done with Clive’s story.
sticky-runes wrote:I was originally going to use the title "Reasons why Pesmerga is a cunt" but I normally only post C-bombs when I log on after having a few drinks.
In this forum, using the c-bomb is one of your unique trademarks, so you can proudly call them sticky-bombs here. :wink:
BrucePrintscreen

Willster328 wrote: This is actually what makes him so iconic in my eyes. Is that his interests and relation to the world are entirely tied to Yuber in the eternal fight between them.

I should start a topic called "Reasons why Yuber sucks".

In regards to other villains, Yuber is totally uninteresting. I never paid any interest in him. Total monsters like Luca Blight, complex semi-villains like Barbarossa or Culgan/Seed, are a million times more interesting than a-guy-in-black.

Until I started interacting with other fans here, I never had one second to spend on Pesmerga or Yuber, they were definitely the characters I did not care about. The whole Pesmerga/Yuber thing I discovered on this forum, it totally passed above my head. Anytime I played the games I totally overlooked them and barely realised they existed. That's even worse than Sierra, who made me cringe even before I realised that some people liked her.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The "mystery" thing doesn't work for me. It's what I do know about characters that makes them appealing, not what I don't know. and I don't know anything about Pesmerga except that he wears black armour and is after Yuber.

On another forum I compared Pesmerga to Boba Fett from Star Wars, because people go gaga over him like he's some kind of badass, when really he's not. He doesn't achieve anything amazing throughout the series, he doesn't have any big scenes. He's just a guy in a helmet who does f#ck all.
1 minute! Bruce, what if sticky had wrote something like "Pesmerga sucks for the same reason why Georg and Eileen suck...", you would have surely regretted your marriage proposal. :lol:
Bruce knows I like those two characters, so there was no chance of that happening. I might not have found Georg particularly interesting in S2, but after seeing what he got up to in S5 my respect for him was raised significantly (although I still dump him for Zegai), he's a lot more worthy of fanboying over than Pesmoron.
And Eileen is one of the first characters that made a huge impact on me when I first played Suikoden 1. I find her a far more iconic figure than Pusmerga.
BrucePrintscreen

sticky-runes wrote: And Eileen is one of the first characters that made a huge impact on me when I first played Suikoden 1. I find her a far more iconic figure than Pusmerga.

We should start an Eileen Fan Club or something, more like an Eileen Appreciation Society, she would appreciate the classy tone. Remember how in S2 it is implied that Eileen rules the Toran Republic from behind the throne? She's awesome, was one of my favourite characters from the very first time I played Suikoden.

Funny how such beautiful, brave, devoted, and successful characters can be overlooked for a question of fashion. Odessa, guys, come on, Odessa! She's the one who started it all! She's depicted as impossible to corrupt, with an invincible faith in a better future while all she has is a handful of rogues in a stinking sewer. Odessa should be our heroine, to us all, and she doesn't need a black helmet.

I still think of doing a parody of the famous Che Guevara picture but with Odessa's portrait instead and tag that on walls around town, or put it on a red t-shirt or something.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:That's even worse than Sierra, who made me cringe even before I realised that some people liked her.
Why do people hate Sierra?
sticky-runes wrote:Bruce knows I like those two characters, so there was no chance of that happening.
My message was: never sign up before reading the fine print. I used these two characters because I've read that Bruce loves Eileen, and Eileen loves Georg Primescreen. :wink:
BrucePrintscreen wrote:Funny how such beautiful, brave, devoted, and successful characters can be overlooked for a question of fashion. Odessa, guys, come on, Odessa! She's the one who started it all! She's depicted as impossible to corrupt, with an invincible faith in a better future while all she has is a handful of rogues in a stinking sewer. Odessa should be our heroine, to us all, and she doesn't need a black helmet.

Odessa isn't overlooked, she IS a heroine to us. And yes, I'd purchase an Odessa Guevara shirt.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Wolkendrache wrote: Why do people hate Sierra?
Because she's a cunt.
BrucePrintscreen

Sierra is annoying, egotistic, boring, and totally out of the plot. The whole vampire thing is totally out of the general Suikoden ambient and I think it is its weakest part. The Tinto arc is boring and the only part of the game I rush through to go back to good ol' Suikoden.

Sierra only cares about her little emo love story that I personaly don't have time to care for in the middle of wars. She is arrogant and believes all the others are below her. I just can't stand her face at all. She ruined the Suikogaiden game, the first chapter of Suikogaiden 1 is my worst experience of the whole Suikoden franchise: again, I don't give a single sh*t about her past love story any more than I give to Twilight.

The thing I like the most about Sierra is to one-shot kill her with an overboosted Rina when we have to fight her.

I think sticky-runes and I should write a Suikoden game together, it would be awesome!
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I've never experienced the Suikogaiden games, but I think that's what would have ruined her for me. As far as how she acted in Suikoden II she seemed fine.