Why Young and Old Viki have different Stars

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Antimatzist

Re: Why Young and Old Viki have different Stars

Post by Antimatzist »

Are they really born with it? I thought they were just possessed with it.

Suikoden Tierkreis uses that concept - the characters get their star assigned when they start fulfilling their role and it does not appear as if they had that star before.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

*novel spoilers*
The 108 spirits were released in the period of emperor Ren Zong, in the year 1050, maybe a few years later. The main plot of Shuihu Zhuan takes place in the reign of emperor Hui Zong, who reigned from 1100-1126. Note that none of the 108 characters is described as old, or having grandchildren.
When the 108 chieftains gathered together, they receive the stone tablet. Song Jiang says: "Who would have thought that a petty functionary like me would be the highest of all the stars. And you, brothers, originally were with me up in the sky together." In the same chapter it is said "The origin of these men and their assignments was preordained."
Wikipedia sums it up as "...the 108 stars of destiny... are reborn in the world as 108 heroes who band together for the cause of justice."
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ah ok, so they are really reborn.

But as I said, it seems to be different in Tierkreis. Maybe because the plot is that you're fighting against predetermination and fate, so they changed it to fit into the theme of the game. But aside from Tierkreis, there's little mention of the 108 SoD.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Haven't played Tierkreis, but as I said, after Suikoden 1, everything became less and less similar to the novel, e.g. Suikoden 2 has no seal-forger, shipwright, or chief secretary etc.
If these 2 Vikis had appeared in S1, I would have seen them as 2 different persons.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Virande

Post by Virande »

KFCrispy wrote:it's actually very strongly hinted that Little Viki is a future-version of Big Viki.
in the S3 recruitment scene, Big Viki sneezes and disappears, then Little Viki appears and says something like "i am sorry for falling.. please step aside", and Big Viki drops from the sky.
I think the dialog was "I don't really want to do this.. You'd better stand back"
And it seems that Young Viki knows about everything, but the Big Viki only have a memories about what happened on the events..

My theory are Young Viki is the True Viki.. and Big Viki is something like a creation by the Young Viki, maybe a clone like Hikusaak made Luc and Sasarai. It's explain why they have a different stars. And Viki always appear somewhere right in front of the main char without other people seeing. So this is how that's happened.

Young Viki : Hmm.. the (True Runes) seems to be found a perfect match... okay, i'm in...
<Young Viki "summoned" the Big Viki from out of nowhere.. and meet with the [Hero]>

After the War ends...

Young Viki : Okay, the job is done...
<Young Viki calls back the Big Viki> Yeah, Viki always disappear right after the war ends.

after several years, another wars appears and she do the same thing... this explain why she always missing a certain times in between.

About the Viki appearance in S3, it seems that the Big Viki sneezes cause she switch positions with the Young Viki. and the Big Viki missing out to nowhere.
Young Viki : Damn, this Viki, stupid sneezes... you are.... oh Hugo the Karayan... it seems this Viki a little messed up and didn't finish her job yet... okay then... damn, i need to do this again in front of him...
Dialogue : "I don't really want to do this... You better stand back"
Bam~~ The Big Viki is falling from nowhere...
Big Viki to Young Viki : "Have we met before?" (Feels like i recognize her)
Young Viki : (You havn't see me, because i know you very well... damn... how am i explain this.. better to keep silence... then she's thinking)
Maybe When she summon the Big Viki, her teleportation power transferred to Big Viki until she called her back... Oh no, it was a wrong call, i forgot, i should go back first then summon her, rather than like this.. hmm, should i give her a food to get her sneezed back?
Big Viki : "What? Food?"

Wait... Big Viki can read Young Viki's mind? maybe... she is maybe like a clone of herself maybe she somehow can read the Young Viki's mind. Like Luc mentioned before sometimes he saw Hikusaak in her mind or something.

Young Viki : "No, never mind" (well then, just stay here for a while... to see how it goes in person)
Young Viki : "This is way out of whack. It doesn't seem like i'll be able to go back anytime soon."
Hugo : suggest to go to Budehuc Castle.
Young VIki : "I suppose i don't have a choice" (Yeah, my purpose is to guide your journey... i usually observe from my "Crystall Ball" or something)
Hugo : tell her the location
Young Viki : (yeah, yeah i know... i know much more than you, young man .. lol)
Young Viki : "I'd better give this back to you" (Blinking Mirror)

It appears that Hugo supposedly got the Blinking Mirror from someone or somewhere... but at the ending we know that at the banquet Big Viki teleports everyone, and the castle is empty with only the Blinking Mirror left at the Castle...

Young Viki : Where did everyone go... this Blinking Mirror still here... that means... damn that little stupid teleporter.... Okay, i need to clear this all the mess she did... Young Viki chase everyone with the blinking mirror in her hands.. That's why Young Viki holds the Blinking Mirror and she said that she should return it to Hugo.