Siegfried the Unicorn

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
sticky-runes

Siegfried the Unicorn

Post by sticky-runes »

Unicorns have become very popular these days, my niece wants lots of unicorn related stuff for xmas, and it's got me thinking back to my first experience playing Suikoden 2.

It kind of felt like there was a build up to meeting Siegfried. At the beginning of the game, you are a member of Highland's Unicorn brigade, in which the unicorn is basically a logo for the company. And then later on we discovered Unicorn runes that allow spear users to pierce through a column of enemies. And I remember thinking "with all these unicorn references, are we actually going to see any unicorns in this game?" (ones that are not zombified minions of Neclord)

Then there was the reunion with Hix and Tengaar, who are on a quest to find a unicorn, and after all that back and forth, it turns out to be just a myth. And then it isn't, and Siegfried shows up to take Tengaar.

Then when I recruited Badeaux, he gave me the listening crystals that let me hear the voices of animals, and my first thought was "what if I take this back to the spot where we met the unicorn?" and sure enough, I was able to recruit Siegfried (Tengaar was in my party at the time so she ended up being betrothed to the creature any way!)

But that was an interesting way to bring Siegfried into the game, making me wonder if a unicorn was actually going to show up, then making me think no it wasn't, and then it does, and then I can recruit it. It's not like how they treated dragons in the first game, where you meet Futch and Black within the first 10 minutes and its like "ok, cool, this game has dragons that provide a transport service", Siegfried was more like a Bigfoot/Loch Ness monster style legend that turns out to be real.
hyzhenry

Re: Siegfried the Unicorn

Post by hyzhenry »

I never thought that unicorn runes and unicorn brigade had anything to do with Siegfried.